Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #21
mikeejimbo

Default Re: Pyramid #3/105: Cinematic Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
I've just bought this issue, and it's got not one, but two things I was looking for but didn't even realise it. I expected the Super-Sorcery article to be great and it didn't disappoint, it's got some useful ways of enhancing sorcery in it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Gourmet Alchemy article, reading the preview I wasn't sure it would be something I'd use, but it turns out to be (effectively) a character point-based alchemy system, which is something I've been wondering how to do for ages. It's missing a way of costing elixirs for purchase from an NPC alchemist, but I think (hope) I can work out how to do that myself.
The benchmark I would use would be the trading money for points option (pB26), with the cost of the potion converted to how much money you'd get for trading it in for that.

It's not quite perfect because some of the overhead in the potion type and the elixir meta-enhancement: not all of those points are from the effect and delivery, some are from the ability for what's essentially an Advantage to be represented by an item that's not quite just a gadget. But it is close, since arguably there should be a price for different delivery mechanisms.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:02 AM   #22
Crystalline_Entity

I followed the same logic as magical item pricing in GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery. If being an Alchemist is a comfortable job, at TL3 that gives him an income of $1,400 per month. Each potion takes one hour to create, but some of his time will be spent cleaning equipment, studying, dealing with customers, foraging or purchasing ingredients, etc, so say he can brew two potions per day, or 44 per month (at 22 working days per month), each potion costs about $32 in the alchemist's labour, plus $2/point in ingredients

Edit: Note this doesn't give similar prices to DF1 or Magic, but I seem to remember someone on this forum saying that the pricing in those volumes was historical rather than based on the value of the traits conferred in 4e.

Last edited by Crystalline_Entity; 08-06-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I
Edit: Note this doesn't give similar prices to DF1 or Magic, but I seem to remember someone on this forum saying that the pricing in those volumes was historical rather than based on the value of the traits conferred in 4e.
Not to my knowledge. The prices for potions in Magic is based on time spent , cost of ingredients and the value of the Alchemist's labor. The formula is spelled out in Magic.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #24
Crystalline_Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Not to my knowledge. The prices for potions in Magic is based on time spent , cost of ingredients and the value of the Alchemist's labor. The formula is spelled out in Magic.
True, but neither the cost of ingredients nor the time taken to brew seem to be related to the character point cost of the advantages they give the drinker, at least as far as I can see (or am I missing something?), which makes it hard to sensibly price up new ones.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
True, but neither the cost of ingredients nor the time taken to brew seem to be related to the character point cost of the advantages they give the drinker, at least as far as I can see (or am I missing something?), which makes it hard to sensibly price up new ones.
The oldest elixers date to a period (i.e. pre 3e) when many Advantages had very different costs or even did not exist.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #26
Captain Joy

Chi Sorcery

There are a few things I either didn't understand or might be errata.

p. 13
  • Both the Small and Specific limitations include "a specific building" as an example.
  • Both the Requires (Attribute) Roll, Time-Limited and Requires (Attribute) Roll, Time-Limited, Margin-Based cost -10%. The second limitation is less restrictive enough I'm surprised they're priced the same.

p. 19
  • Why does Lizard Climb get "Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%" (when nothing else does)?
  • Under The Hood: Pressure Points: several locations have "Accessibility, Only against the ears, -n%" where n might be 30, 35, or 40. This looks like a cut and pasted error?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 08-10-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #27
Adelus

Apologies for the Thread Necromancy, but I wanted to inquire about one of the modifiers in the Gourmet Alchemy article.

There's pre-built meta-modifiers for using the potion types for Innate Attack elixirs, but the one for Meal seems to be equal to it's affliction values. This would make sense, but a big part of that is Extended Duration (x1,000), which I thought wasn't valid for Innate Attacks?

Am I just misinterpreting, is there a use for the modifier in this particular use case, or is this just an oversight and damaging elixir's built as meals should just be one-shot or use cyclic for repeat attacks?
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid, pyramid 3/105