Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #951
Mehmet
MIB

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I bought Hexagon for $2 on a March Madness sale. I haven't downloaded it yet (it's been a year and such) because the last few releases have been very cranky betas, and I've already sort of figured out Blender. So I'm not much help there :)
Well actually I was interested in it because of the price but as it turns out (an industrial designer) my sister has one spare license of 3DS Max purchased for her own company where I have a small share. Given the market conditions she's not hiring more soon so I think I have cheaper (for me) but probably steeper-learning-curve start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Bryce completely effing mystifies me. It's like all the worst parts of poser, plus all the worst parts of blender - as far as its UI vs my brain goes anyways.
I concur. Finally got it working - who says MS support is bad? - and that UI gives me flashes of Windows ME, Balmer's Peak and Grateful Dead.

I am not touching it with a ten foot pole for now is putting it mildly.

Cheers...
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #952
Mehmet
MIB

3DS Max is brilliant - it is so powerful a software, I can't believe it. I got my little sister's course notes and teaching myself (very slowly) how to model.

In the meantime, I am trying to understand shaders, lights and the elusive art of scene setting. Photorealism was my holy grail before I started doing anything 3D but I feel more at home with more "artistic" scenes and I find that renders such as this, appeal more to me than these do.

Although, I understand I have a very long way to go to reliably put together anything that would be within the same caliber as the first one (I might not be able to get there in 20 years, just look at my music career) I still am immensely enjoying my newfound passion.

I have a campaign starting in a month or two and will post a character from that soon (as soon as the 3Delight render finishes). Sally (nee Salome) is a Mystic meaning she doesn't see the world the way we are used to - she is a born magic user and her norm is seeing the spirit world superimposed to our material world. The campaign premise is a bunch of magicians from different paradigms die in a fantasy age and come back to life in 2012 England (East End but it is a different story entirely).

Will post Sally soon and I hope to put Llywelyn (probably will be Callum in 2012 although it is a name still in use - impossible to pronounce for me) and Robert (old name, he can't remember - and none of his companions can either) before Monday. It is the first time I try something like this - the team has no recollection of their past year before they died and the campaign will involve "flashback" plays at critical points to reveal it to them. First 10-20 sessions, I expect about 50% flashbacks and I am planning to integrate their CP expenditures in the flashbacks so it would be like they knew all along but couldn't remember.

Cheers...

Last edited by Mehmet; 01-14-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #953
Mehmet
MIB

Here's Sally.

Some postwork to the hair. Also, here is a bugged out Lux render. It looks very good but the render realism is working against the effect I'm trying to generate (although I'm sure the "effect" is not there yet - in a year or four, it will be there).

Cheers...

Last edited by Mehmet; 01-15-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #954
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

NPCs for a GURPS BattleTech game.
Melanie and Keiko
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #955
Mehmet
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
NPCs for a GURPS BattleTech game.
Melanie and Keiko
Nice render, kudos. You using Inked or your own layer?

Cheers...
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #956
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
Nice render, kudos. You using Inked or your own layer?
Neither, actually. It's one of the skins for that character.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #957
Bruno

I'm not entirely sure what DAZ's plan is with this, but they're giving all their core software away. Some of you have expressed an interest so here it all is. It's Windows and (Rosetta) Mac compatible, and as far as I know all available in 32bit and 64 bit versions.

Studio I can confirm also runs under Wine (32 bit version only).

To qualify you need:
An account on DAZ3D.com
To sign up for the DAZ Weekly Newsletter long enough to check out. You can then unsubscribe immediately and never get an email. Their store is in fact that dumb.
Go to your Account (top right corner), pick Membership and Subscriptions from the left, check off the first Newsletter.

Go to the link below, click on the three products and add them to your cart, then check out (they will ask for a payment method because their store is in fact that dumb, it's been tested and they definitely don't actually do anything with the card if it's a 0$ "purchase")

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=182532

Then go back to your Account and uncheck the subscription.

You don't even have to download them now. You can "reset" the purchase later to get a fresh download link with the lastest version of the software whenever you want (or until DAZ3D gets replaced forever replaced with an Under Construction GIF anyways).

Studio Pro bridges with Photoshop CS and higher, Bryce and Hexagon bridges with Studio (and possibly Photoshop, not sure). It's kinda cool.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #958
Mehmet
MIB

DS Pro with GoZ is a good combo. I'd at least get that. This is serious business, get these items, you will not be sorry.

Cheers...
Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #959
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Great googly moogly!

I'm still downloading. I don't know what they're playing at, but, if you think you might, ever, be remotely interested in doing 3d stuff, go get this now.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #960
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Great googly moogly!

I'm still downloading. I don't know what they're playing at, but, if you think you might, ever, be remotely interested in doing 3d stuff, go get this now.
how big is the d/l?
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art