Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2023, 03:10 AM   #11
Nedorus

Default Re: How to implement Melee Attack + QN Roll Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
The Sorcerous Power Modifier explicitly includes "Costs 1 FP" - see T:SOR p 13 where it is helpfully hidden in the "Inventing New Spells" box.
O!... M! ... G! How could I not see that (> _ <) It's right there!

Quote:
Normally, Afflictions last for minute per MoS/MoF, and Extended or Limited Duration change the time period per point of margin. Fixed Duration then says that the margin is always 3.
That I think I have understood...

Quote:
If you have an "always on" self-buff such as Damage Resistance, you just have it until you use a different Alternate Ability, unless it has Costs FP, in which case you have it until you run out of FP or use a different Alternate Ability. See Locksmith on T:SOR p 22 for an example.
Actually I think I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T:SOR8
Spells with a fixed or permanent duration [...] last for the duration and do not hinder the sorcerer’s spellcasting ability.
A good example would be Flesh to Stone T:SOR15. Note how this uses Affliction with "permanent ability" Paralysis to create a permanent effect. This wouldn't be permanent if the spell was "I turn to Stone" (using Paralysis without the affliction). Aside: could a petrified mage pay the FP-upkeep?

The key here is "costs fatigue" ... see below quote B111 and for my conclusion.

Quote:
Well, you can only create 1 illusion at a time, but if you really want to spend 35-50 CP for "talking Mona Lisa hologram forever" then you can do that.

In Sorcery, Complex Illusion has an FP cost, so it's a maintained spell with an indefinite duration that costs 1 FP per minute. And that's because it's an always-on advantage that has been modified with Costs FP, and you need to repay the FP every minute.
Another "OMG how could I not see that"-moment (° o °)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B111
For advantages that produce continuing effects (e.g., Flight), you must pay this FP cost to activate the ability for one minute.
This is what makes lasting effects which are not an affliction last for one minute... and thus the spell would be Duration: Indefinite (somewhat of a misnomer when I'm thinking about it)

I would deduce the following "ruleset" for deriving any spell's duration...
Abilities without Affliction
a) lasting effects (switchable or not) => Duration: Indefinite
b) ability lasts for a different but specific time (e.g. is instantaneous, last for minutes equal to MoS) => Duration: Fixed

Abilities afflicted via Affliction
a) if the ability is instantaneous => Duration: Instantaneous (as per affliction B36)
b) if the ability can be switched on and off => Duration: Indefinite (as per affliction B36, but the Affliction needs to have the fixed duration and reduced duration 1/3 modifiers)
c) if the ability is "always on" => Duration: Permanent
d) if the ability lasts some different but specific time => Duration: Fixed

[EDIT]turns out this is not supported by the examples in T:SOR. All examples there treat any ability afflicted as "one minute per MoF" and slap on Fixed Duration and some form of Extended Duration.[/EDIT]

Thanks once again for being my sparings partner. As always it's greatly appreciated!

P.S.: I'll post this into my other question: Thaumatology: Sorcery - Guidelines for Spell Duration

Last edited by Nedorus; 03-26-2023 at 05:34 AM.
Nedorus is offline   Reply With Quote