Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
omeyer

Default Re: [3e, SW] AT-AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill View Post
I suppose that a man is a small target to detect at 650 yards in a snowstorm...
Yes, that was just my point. When you choose the sensor range for a vehicle, forget the nominal range. That is just a number. What counts is the range to detect a typical target.

Say I'm writing a TL8 AEGIS cruiser, a wet navy ship. I want the radar do detect an incoming TL8 fighter at 100 miles. What sensor range do I need?
  • My crews will be professional, but I'll also allow for distraction or fatigue. If they have a skill of 16, distraction might bring it down to 12.
  • VXii16 lists a nifty thing called LPI (low probability of intercept), which is unfortunately -2 to scan.
  • The Speed/Range Modifier will be -29. Speed hardly matters, only range does.
  • The fighter could be SM+4 or thereabouts, but radical stealth gives a -8 and a deceptive jammer could be good for another -4 or so.
  • I'm assuming that it is out of ground clutter, or LOS wouldn't be 100 miles, so no modifier for that.
  • As the ship designer, I want to be fairly certain of a contact. Say I want an effective skill of 10.
So I need scan 37 for a nominal range of 20,000 miles. The radar will be 20 tons and $8,200,000. I could make it cheaper with the air search option, but there are also UAVs to consider ... better pay the price.

Of course I could forget that -4 I gave for distraction. My fictional navy has proper discipline. I could hope that my opponents can't afford to develop radical stealth, only basic stealth. Another -4 canceled. While I'm at it, don't try to *****foot around with LPI. Saves that -2. Now 450-mile radar will do, 900 lbs. and $190,000.

But if the scenario throws a flight of modern TL8 fighters with all the bells and whistles against the air defense cruiser, the battle group might have only a few seconds warning.
omeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, star wars, vehicles