Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
gjc8

Default Re: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

If scout trooper armor is flexible, all the rock-drop traps, etc. can get the job done with blunt trauma.

If you're changing armor stats, you could assume that the flexible parts are a weave, and suffer reduced stats against impaling attacks.

Don't forget grappling. Armor not withstanding, three teddy bears may be able to tackle and disarm a trooper.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Bill Cameron

Q: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

A: Have George Lucas write the script.

It's the same answer to the Since when were parsecs used to measure time? question.

Seriously though, you're trying to come up with a plausible reason for something that wasn't plausible in the first place. There's no satisfactory answer to this. Just come up with something that will work well enough in your game and let the rest hang.

Bill
Bill Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
Q: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

A: Have George Lucas write the script.

It's the same answer to the Since when were parsecs used to measure time? question.

Seriously though, you're trying to come up with a plausible reason for something that wasn't plausible in the first place. There's no satisfactory answer to this. Just come up with something that will work well enough in your game and let the rest hang.

Bill
For example, using Wookies, which was the original plan anyway.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
pawsplay

Well, I am trying to come up with something that will work in my game, hence this thread. :)

As for parsecs... That's Han blowing smoke, and Kenobi obviously picks up on that. Even if you accept the EU retcon/rationale that hyperspace jumps are measured in directness, it's still a case of Han throwing out some jargon to intimidate what he perceives as country bumpkins.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Well, I am trying to come up with something that will work in my game, hence this thread. :)

As for parsecs... That's Han blowing smoke, and Kenobi obviously picks up on that. Even if you accept the EU retcon/rationale that hyperspace jumps are measured in directness, it's still a case of Han throwing out some jargon to intimidate what he perceives as country bumpkins.
I'd go with the "many sci-fi authors are very light on the sci part of their education" explanation myself, but whatever works for you.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
Dienekes

You could reconcile it by dealing with the movie instead of the events depicted in the movie; that is, treat the movie as a storyteller's version of something that really happened in the game world. There's really no such thing in the real world as the objective, unbiased, multi-POV, detailed understanding of events that most movies provide, so you're under no obligation to have that kind of understanding in your game.

Storytellers inevitably distort real-world happenings, usually for good reason. ("300 Spartans held off a million Persians for a week!") It is undeniable that the Rebellion won a great victory on Endor. How? Well... The PC's all know, in convenient detail, the story that the victory involved spear-carrying munchkins laying out stormtroopers, etc., etc, and they even have the option of believing that story. Whether the storyteller (Lucas) got it exactly right is another question, one that the GM doesn't have to answer OOC, except to define how cinematic the campaign is.

Besides sparing the players' suspension of disbelief and allowing the dangerous bad guys to be dangerous enough to introduce tension into the story, it makes the larger-than-life deeds of the settings heroes truly legendary.

Last edited by Dienekes; 06-27-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Dienekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
E) Stormtroopers don't wear armor, they wear cheapo flimsy environmental suits that were built after some kind of no-bid contract
That sounds good. Or maybe Darth Vader wanted to show how much contempt he has for everyone else since the death of Amidala. So he gives his troops shoddy armor.

Having seen the episodes recently, it's safe to say that Ep. 6 ewoks were meant to be over-endearingly cute and aimed at kiddies, which is why a few stick and stones bring down stormtroopers. While in the Clone Wars it takes some serious megafauna to kill a clone trooper without a blaster/saber. Safe to say that the SW canon was invented over two decades, so it's not necessarily consistent despite the effort.

Any GM's fiat would be reasonable, I imagine. I'd probably give my ewoks some sharper claws (Wolverine), or some better archery gear (and reason that the trooper armor isn't good versus punctures being optimized to be ablative).
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I'd go with the "many sci-fi authors are very light on the sci part of their education" explanation myself, but whatever works for you.
Well, the original script specifies Kenobi gives him a dirty look. And that appears to be exactly what Sir Alec does on screen.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #19
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
You could reconcile it by dealing with the movie instead of the events depicted in the movie; that is, treat the movie as a storyteller's version of something that really happened in the game world.
That's way too literary for me. It actually annoys me when SW novelists mention the quiet of space; I don't want such things brought to my attention. It's space opera and I'm prepared to deal with it as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame
Having seen the episodes recently, it's safe to say that Ep. 6 ewoks were meant to be over-endearingly cute and aimed at kiddies, which is why a few stick and stones bring down stormtroopers. While in the Clone Wars it takes some serious megafauna to kill a clone trooper without a blaster/saber. Safe to say that the SW canon was invented over two decades, so it's not necessarily consistent despite the effort.
Ewoks are man-eating hunters with surprisingly little fear of better-armed Stormtroopers. They are little cannibal Zulus. They were cute enough to inspire sympathy, but honestly, they are strictly scarier than Wookiees in a lot of ways.

I'm perfectly willing to bend canon to make it work, which is what inevitibly happens when you are doing fan writing or EU stuff. I just want the solutions I came up with to have consequences in the future I am happy with. For instance, if stormtroopers are too easily knifed, that sucks, but I still want them to be able to be shot dead with a blaster, or sucker-punched by Han (possibly targeting chinks/vitals).

Currently, it looks like "plastoid armor" (what Stormtroopers wear) works fine mechanically if I give it the stats of TL9 ablative armor, or bioplas without the self-repair. I'll just make Scout Armor lighter yet.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Ok, another Star Wars question. How to handle armor?
I was just looking at this recently and Answer One is "don't use the Combat Hardsuit". That's much too effective.

Answer Two (which is non-Ewok-compatible) is to call Stromtrooper Armor a TL11 Monocrys Vacc Suit or Yac Suit. That's DR40/20 with the 20 being the part blasters attack. If a SW "Blaster" is the same as a Gurps Blaster with its' (5) Armor Divisor this is okay for almost everything but Endor.

Answer Three is that the black part of the Stormtrooper/Scoutrooper suit is a DR2 TL9 Skin Suit (which provides the "brief protection from vaccuum" at the lowest possible price ) and individual plates similar to Light Clamshell (but probably even lighter DR, that 40/20 would do) over the whole body. This ought to be cheaper than any other alternative.

You need to House Rule that since it has even bigger gaps between plates than TL4 Plate Armor melee attacks may be aimed to bypass the plates and attack only the Skin Suit DR. That will cover Han gut-punching the trooper (he went under the breastplate) and the Ewoks all attacked joints (which is actually what they appeared to do in the movie).

Penalties are left to your discretion but I would stop at less than the -8/10 for Armor Chink. An extra -1 or 2 more than Vitals or limbs might be about right.

Is penny-pinching like this reasonable? <shrug> Are TIE fighters? I, personally wouldn't design a fighter that has no ability to land _anywhere_ except an Imperial ship. The Empire obviously did. The Dark Side does seem to be ultimately self-destructive.

Tags
star wars