Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #51
pawsplay

Default Re: Redirecting Shots from Blasters

Off the top of my head:
Episode I
- "Droidekas!" Kenobi and Qui-Gon are able to reflect an entire barrage directly back at the droids.
- Rescuing Padma, Kenobi and Qui-Gon are able to destroy a number of battle droids at close range mainly through reflected shots and force slams, in addition to melee strikes.

Episode II
- Most notably, in the arena Mace Windu shows us his backhand and destroys a droid this way as he is moving away from it. Kit Fisto also does some impressive reflection.

Episode III
- Mace Windu is able to redirect Sidious's Sith lightning using his lightsaber.

Episode IV
- Nothing. The only blaster deflection we see is Luke's training.

Episode V
- As far as I can recall, nothing.

Episode VI
- Luke uses this technique on Jabba's barge, although he is quickly overwhelmed.

The evidence, then, is that this is a skill mainly possessed by the most capable Jedi, often Masters. However, experts are able to use this technique with good accuracy and target choice.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #52
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Off the top of my head:
Episode I
- "Droidekas!" Kenobi and Qui-Gon are able to reflect an entire barrage directly back at the droids.
- Rescuing Padma, Kenobi and Qui-Gon are able to destroy a number of battle droids at close range mainly through reflected shots and force slams, in addition to melee strikes.

Episode II
- Most notably, in the arena Mace Windu shows us his backhand and destroys a droid this way as he is moving away from it. Kit Fisto also does some impressive reflection.

Episode III
- Mace Windu is able to redirect Sidious's Sith lightning using his lightsaber.

Episode IV
- Nothing. The only blaster deflection we see is Luke's training.

Episode V
- As far as I can recall, nothing.

Episode VI
- Luke uses this technique on Jabba's barge, although he is quickly overwhelmed.

The evidence, then, is that this is a skill mainly possessed by the most capable Jedi, often Masters. However, experts are able to use this technique with good accuracy and target choice.
Some of these fit my comment that they are general return-fire, rather than targetted.

The overall infrequency of the usage reconfirms for me that this is not an ability that is trained in the SW universe, rather it's a biproduct.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #53
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

It is strange that you see it as an ability that is used fairly rarely Figleaf, while I think it is one of the core abilities of a Jedi and definitely something he is trained to do.

In what way do you think it is a biproduct and how would he learn it?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #54
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Some of these fit my comment that they are general return-fire, rather than targetted.

The overall infrequency of the usage reconfirms for me that this is not an ability that is trained in the SW universe, rather it's a biproduct.
I have no idea what this means, unless you are trying to say, "Mace Windu has a skill I have decided to define as a non-skill."
Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #55
Figleaf23
Banned

Aesthetically, based on the instances I can remember, it just doesn't seem like it's something that's a skill. At minimum, there is no reference to it being part of Jedi training, that I can think of. For these reasons I would not be inclined to build a technique or skill for it. It happens in the films, so I agree a mechanic for it can/should be devised. I just wouldn't make it trainable or particulalry controllable.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #56
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Aesthetically, based on the instances I can remember, it just doesn't seem like it's something that's a skill. At minimum, there is no reference to it being part of Jedi training, that I can think of. For these reasons I would not be inclined to build a technique or skill for it. It happens in the films, so I agree a mechanic for it can/should be devised. I just wouldn't make it trainable or particulalry controllable.
Ok, well the premise of this thread is that it is trainable. I have no idea what you are drawing your position from but I certainly do not share it.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #57
pawsplay

Ok, I've hashed out a solution I'm happy with.

Problems with other approaches:
- Using DR with modifiers costs too many points and requires too many modifiers. Although the ability is clearly a use fo the Force, it doesn't seem to work that well as an Advantage that depends on a piece of equipment, either. Further, DX/2 + 3 is a wonky Parry to contend with, unless you write Precognitive Parry out of the game.
- Techniques are a problem, because I'm actually not convinced all Jedi can do this by default. When Luke learns to block shots, they simply dissipate. Deliberately deflecting them seems to require an active use of the Force.
- Making a second skill to piggynack on Precognitive Parry not only raises the specter of Redirect Blast exceeding Precog Parry itself but would require a character to maintain both skills at an adequate level. further, we want to avoid adding extra die rolls.
- A naked Advantage that simply adds the capability seems pretty lame.

With that in mind, I've decided to create a skill, DX/Hard, that can be used to redirect shots that are precogntively parried by a margin of 5 or more or critical successes. I'm also taxing the damage -1 point per die. It appears to work as intended, and sinking 1 or 2 points into the ability for flavor should give adequate returns. We can just assume Mace Windu has a huge parry.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #58
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Techniques are a problem, because I'm actually not convinced all Jedi can do this by default.
No problem. Martial Arts says (p. 82), "Anybody can attempt a cinematic technique at default, if the GM permits" [emphasis mine]. In other words, if the GM doesn't permit, nobody can attempt. You can easily say to to your players, "First invest at least a point in the technique before actually using. Otherwise, you simply can't use it."
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, star wars