Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #11
Gurps Fan

Default Re: Redirecting Shots from Blasters

Inventing a technique based on Parry sounds like a good idea. "Redirecting a beam" is functionally the same as catching an incoming missile weapon with a hand and throw it at a desired foe, so Hand Catch technique (Martial Arts, p. 84) seems a good basis to start with.

In GURPS, if you want to catch an incoming arrow and throw it back, you'd (1) forecast the projectile's path (rolling Precognitive Parry just before parrying), (2) catch the projectile with your hand (rolling Hand Catch technique) and (3) throw it in a desired direction (rolling Thrown Weapon as an attack on your turn immediately following the Hand Catch parry).

Similarly, to redirect a beam, you'd (1) forecast the incoming beam's path, (2) trapping the beam with the sword's force field and (3) discharging it in a different desired direction.

(1) is just a normal use of Precognitive Parry skill.
(2) is a parry with Force Sword Parry-3; you can offset this penalty by buying a Hard technique.
(3) is an attack roll on your turn immediately following the Parry above. This would require a new skill, say, Redirect Blasters (DX/Easy), with the same difficulty as Thrown Weapon.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
weby

In my SW game that I am running currently the Jedi training advantage gives among others the parry energy weapons with success by 5 allowing deflect to wanted target.

The procedure is:
Roll parry: skill used is: Parry energy weapons technique(based on parry missile weapons at -6)/2+3.
If success: by less than 5, parry but cannot deflect to target.
If success by 5 or more roll attack against any target with the Parry energy weapons technique as attack skill, with normal range penalties and such from the Jedi to target.

As for rules as written: You could call the thing Reflective Force Shield and just use the rules in UT...
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I would definitely advise all of you to require a Wait for such a trick, using up the Jedi's main Attack for the turn in order to get to aim the reflected shot. As for the rest, YMMV.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #14
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Similarly, to redirect a beam, you'd (1) forecast the incoming beam's path, (2) trapping the beam with the sword's force field and (3) discharging it in a different desired direction.

(1) is just a normal use of Precognitive Parry skill.
(2) is a parry with Force Sword Parry-3; you can offset this penalty by buying a Hard technique.
(3) is an attack roll on your turn immediately following the Parry above. This would require a new skill, say, Redirect Blasters (DX/Easy), with the same difficulty as Thrown Weapon.
I wouldn't call it trapping the beam, but I like the setup. So much that I created a technique and a skill right away.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I would definitely advise all of you to require a Wait for such a trick, using up the Jedi's main Attack for the turn in order to get to aim the reflected shot. As for the rest, YMMV.
It really looks to me like skilled Jedi are able to redirect shots even while in the midst of attacking others.

Quote:
I like the idea of modeling it on existing rules, but it does not seem to me that it takes an entire second to return a blaster shot. Further, requiring an entirely new skill, Redirect Blasters, seems excessive.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
It really looks to me like skilled Jedi are able to redirect shots even while in the midst of attacking others.

I like the idea of modeling it on existing rules, but it does not seem to me that it takes an entire second to return a blaster shot. Further, requiring an entirely new skill, Redirect Blasters, seems excessive.
This is my take as well. DR with reflective would do the trick, with a limitation to require a defense roll.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
RS, DWA, EA, whatever.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
sjmdw45

Quote:
That makes sense as a rule, but what kind of trait in GURPS would add such a functionality?
Why is it a trait instead of a game-specific rule, a la "Two-handed weapons suffer only -1 cumulative penalty per parry" from Martial Arts?

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
RS, DWA, EA, whatever.
Yeah, the really good Jedi you see, would have enough extra attacks (and prescience) to be able block and redirect attacks while still fighting someone else.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
That makes sense as a rule, but what kind of trait in GURPS would add such a functionality?
I always assumed it was a property of the lightsabre.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, star wars