Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #31
Lord Azagthoth

Default Re: Star Wars racial templates

I simply don't have the time for proofreading. I use those three plus the Star wars databank for my work. I've got a few novels but that's nothing compared what is available. If I only use the GL-canon, than I could only make templates for the things shown in the movies.

I spend about two years gathering, converting and making concessions which finally resulted in the Sentient Species book. The book has been available for download during that time so it can be looked at by the players and give comments and point out the mistakes.

Because I'm now correcting all the errors, all discussions are open again and I hope the readers who discover any errors will point them out to me.

The Hutt has already been corrected.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #32
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth
The tiny, tiny Hutt has already been corrected.
Fixed for you. ;)

PS- I agree with the guy at your linked forum who points out that your Wookiees are also way too small. Even if we stick to the feats demonstrated in movie canon (I'm not going to read the lame novels for this; why should you?), Chewbacca (who looks to be a roughly average-sized Wookiee and works as a mechanic/copilot, not a heavy laborer) picks up an able-bodied human man and tosses him into a wall with one arm in the original trilogy. In GURPS terms that's a lot more than ST 12... You can pick up a max of 2 X BL with one hand, so to toss a man of say 160# like that we're looking at about ST 20 minimum. A lot of that could probably just be Arm ST, however, especially since they're arboreal and it wasn't a sustained lift, and/or maybe some Lifting ST. Your comment in the other forum that this isn't a problem because an individual can buy ST up from 12 to 15 totally ignores the point of the complaint (not to mention the fact that 15 is way less than max strength for a human in a gritty realistic game by the RAW, let alone for a hulking space opera sasquatch).
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #33
Lord Azagthoth

Yep,

Especially when Episode III was released, I saw Chewbacca was not an big heroic Wookiee, but rather small (but still a heroe) compared to those Frontline Wookiees.

I have to change the ST of many other races (with SM+1 or more) too.

I came to these Attributes values by using the D20 ST bonus and adding that bonus to the GURPS ST.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #34
AmesJainchill

Quote:
I simply don't have the time for proofreading.
Yes. I understand that, now.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Having done all the core Saga races, I start my new list. As with the old list, these templates are based on Wookiepedia and the official databank.

As each post only can be so long, the new races will be listed in this post instead of in the first post. New races will be added as I complete them. And as we've been talking about Hutts, I made them my first new race. But I've never stated such a massive race before and I may be way off base, in particular regarding ST, HT, and HP. But any comments are welcome.

Falleen
167 points
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Will +5 [25]; SM +1
Advantages/Perks: Affliction (Pheromones; Lecherousness (9) +23%, Extended Duration x10 +40%, Sense Based (smell) +150%): 4 [125]; Appearance (Attractive) +1 [4]; Breath Holding: 2 [4]; Claws (sharp) [5]; DR (flexible -20%): 2 [8]; Extended Lifespan: 2 [4]; Falleen (native) [0]; Change skin color [1];
Disadvantages/Quirks: Cold Blooded (50F) [-5]; Intolerance (Those that lack self control) [-1]; Calculating [-1]; Patient [-1]; Pensive [-1]
Features: Falleen have their height based on ST+4.

Feeorins
-6 points
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM +1 [0]
Advantages/Perks: Extended Lifespan: 2.5 [5]; Feeorin (native) [0]
Disadvantages/Quirks: Bad Temper (12) [-10]; Proud [-1]; Highly Impersonal [-1]
Features: Feeorins have their height based on ST+7.

Gands
230 points
Advantages/Perks: DR (Hardened /2 +20%): 2 [12]; Less Sleep: 4 [8]; Striking ST (Armor Divisor: 5 +150%): 20 [250]; Ultravision [10]; Gand (native) [0]
Disadvantages/Quirks: Dependency (Home Atmosphere; Common Constantly) [-50];
Features: Gands have their height based on ST-2. They are able to store sleep for later use. Some were born without lungs.
Lungless: Doesn’t Breathe [20]; Regrowth [40]; Need equipment to speak other languages [-1]. +59 points

Hutts
181 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST (Size -30%) +10 [70]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP (Size -30%) +10 [14]; Will +5 [25]; SM +3
Advantages/Perks: Breath Holding: 5 [10]; DR (Tough Skin -40%): 8 [24]; Extended Lifespan: 4 [8]; Regrowth [40]; Resistant (Occasional chemicals, poisons, diseases; Immune) [10]; Striker (Tail; Crushing; Clumsy -20%) [4]; Ultravision [10]; Distending Jaw [1]; Huttese (native) [0]
Disadvantages/Quirks: Extra Arms (2 weak arms): 0 [-5]; Intolerance (species) [-10]; No Legs (Slithers) [-0]; Social Stigma (Criminal) [-5]; Careful [-1]; Ambitious [-1]; Greedy [-1]; Lazy [-1]; Ruthless [-1]
Features: Hutts are about 9'11"-12'10" tall, but that can vary by a foot or two in either direction. They weigh about 2,000 lbs. There are rumors that at least some Hutts have more than one brain; Compartmentalized Mind might thus be another reason why Hutts are immune to Force Persuasion. They are hermaphrodites.
Hutts have quirk levels of ambition, greed, laziness, and ruthlessness

Iktotchis
113 points
Advantages/Perks: DR (Tough skin -40%): 2 [6]; Extended Lifespan: 0.3 [1]; Force Sensitivity: 0 [5]; Mind Reading (Force -10%) [27]; Mind Shield (Force -10%): 5 [18]; Precognition (Unreliable 8 -40%, Force -10%) [13]; Talent (Spaceman): 2 [10]; Telecommunication (Telesend; Universal +50%; Force -10%) [42]; Iktotchese (native) [0]
Disadvantages/Quirks: Ham Fisted [-5]; Broad Minded [-1]; Emotionally Sensitive [-1]; Pretends to be stoic [-1]; Seldom interact with other species [-1]
Features: Iktotchis have their height based on ST. When they are on their home world, Precognition functions reliably.

Miralukans
43 points
Advantages/Perks: Dark Vision (Force based +0%; Color Vision +20%, Force -10%) [28]; Detect (Force) [10]; Force Sensitivity: 0 [5]; Force Vision (Force -10%) [0]; Injury Tolerance (No Eyes) [5]; Miralukese (native) [0]
Features: Miralukans have their height based on ST.

Nautolans
70 points
Advantages/Perks: Amphibious [10]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Doesn’t Breathe [20]; Empathy (limited to 2 yards above water -10%) [14]; Nictitating Membrane: 1 [1]; Night Vision: 5 [5]; Speak Underwater [5]; Nautila (native) [0]
Disadvantages/Quirks: Nautilia loses detail out of water [-1]
Features: Nautolans have their height based on ST.

Zeltrons
197 points
Attribute Modifiers:
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers:
Advantages/Perks: Affliction (Pheromones; Lecherousness (9) +23%, Extended Duration x10 +40%, Sense Based (smell) +150%): 4 [125]; Appearance (Attractive) +1 [4]; Empathy [15]; Mind Control (Emotion Control -50%) [25]; Terror [30]; Alcohol Tolerance [1]; Basic (native) [0]
Disadvantages/Quirks: Lazy [-1]; Thrillseeker [-1]; Focused on sexuality and the pursuit of pleasure [-1];
Features: Zeltrons have their height based on ST.

Last edited by Dragondog; 03-30-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #36
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I came to these Attributes values by using the D20 ST bonus and adding that bonus to the GURPS ST.
As we can see, that method is deeply flawed. Noobs, don't try this at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog
But I've never stated such a massive race before and I may be way off base, in particular regarding ST, HT, and HP. But any comments are welcome.
Am I reading this correctly? ST 10 / HP 30? Take everything I just said about ST 12 on them and double it... Also, if they're SM +3 the +20 HP should only cost [28], and hermaphroditic is not the same as Hermaphromorph...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #37
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

It seems I forgot the size discount for HP.

Yes, it's listed at ST 10/HP 30. I had to start somewhere and I got the +20 HP from the elephant in Bestiary (3e). Would +5 HP, be closer to the mark?

I think I read in some novel that they were hermaphromorphs and was influence by that. Would hermaphroditic be a perk or just a feature?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #38
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Yes, it's listed at ST 10/HP 30. I had to start somewhere and I got the +20 HP from the elephant in Bestiary (3e). Would +5 HP, be closer to the mark?
Nah, I give them an average total of 30 HP myself (but with much higher body ST and the Weak Arms disadvantage). We are, after all, talking about a creature that weighs thousands of pounds and probably qualifies for a level of Increased Life Support (Massive) here. Just commenting on the missing discount with regard to HP.

Quote:
I think I read in some novel that they were hermaphromorphs and was influence by that. Would hermaphroditic be a perk or just a feature?
I don't know about the novels; my sources are ROTJ and the fan wiki, which says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookieepedia
Hutts were hermaphroditic, and as a result, gender was more of a case of a Hutt's deliberate decision or a viewer's deduction. Often, Hutts carrying children were referred to as female, though it was entirely up to the Hutt in question as to if the distinction was accepted or not. For instance, Jiliac was referred to as a female after becoming pregnant, but Popara and Zorba still considered themselves males after birthing their respective children.
I call it a Feature for [0]. The game benefits and/or drawbacks of androgyny, the ability to self-impregnate, etc are IMHO negligible. At most, maybe a note requiring one of the gender-blind mods on Appearance if you build a really good-looking Hutt...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #39
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Increased Lifesupport (Massive) requires an environment suit that weighs a ton, which is the average weight of a Hutt. But perhaps that is to be expected.

So would ST 20/HP 30 with Weak Arms be better?

As I mentioned, I base my info on the wiki too, but in this case it seems a vague memory became incorporated too.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #40
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Increased Lifesupport (Massive) requires an environment suit that weighs a ton, which is the average weight of a Hutt.
There is an "if" before the bit about wearing an environment suit... The point of the disadvantage in this setting is that it limits travel options, and that criteria is met here IMHO because a ship would have to have larger passenger space with greater structural reinforcement to accommodate Hutts.

Quote:
So would ST 20/HP 30 with Weak Arms be better?
I personally think so, but we lack canonical feats of strength that I know of and opinions will probably vary.

Tags
species, star wars