Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default Star Wars: Methods for the Force

Not too long ago, when discussing my upcoming SW game in #gurps on irc.sorcery.net, the conversation veered towards how to handle the Force. Many of the folks weren't too keen on the approach I was taking, using the system laid out in Powers and expanded in Psionic Powers, substituting a power source similar to Divine rather than Psionic for the various Powers I was working on.

Currently, I have five basic Powers: Energy Control (for Force Lightning and Energy Absorption, among other tricks), ESP (for sensing the future, past, etc), Healing, Psychokinesis (for the many TK tricks), and Telepathy (including the famous Jedi Mind Trick); each has its own Power Talent (5/level). All abilities would have a use skill to go along with them.

(One person in channel wanted me to split things like in the WEG and SWd20 systems: Sense, Alter, and Control. I found that breakdown to not fit GURPS that well; plus it'd make things really difficult for me to break things down. Better to go with a general effect-based breakdown, IMO. Plus, it'd make it hard to build Kieran Halcyon and his grandson Corran Horn, who could deflect and absorb energy but lacked even rudimentary TK ability.)

Now, as I've said, others weren't too keen on the idea. One player suggested Ritual Path Magic, which may fit. I'm not that familiar with the system, though.

One other player recommended using Realm-based Magic as the basis. This I can work with a bit better than RPM, as I've fiddled with Realms a bit. To keep things simple, I'd probably use the 3- or 4-tier Realm system rather than the 6-tier system I've used in my Marvel stuff.

So, thoughts? criticisms? suggestions? critiques? (all flames will be forwarded to /dev/null/ )

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Star Wars: Methods for the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Now, as I've said, others weren't too keen on the idea. One player suggested Ritual Path Magic, which may fit. I'm not that familiar with the system, though.
As big a proponent as I am of RPM, I don't think it's appropriate for Force powers. RPM is all about flexibility and preparation; the Force seems to provide quite narrow, specific, repeatable effects. I'd personally be in favor of Psionic Powers. If folks think that's too narrow you might look at Divine Favor. The character would basically take The Force as a Patron that they could call on for help in dire situations, while using their array of Alternative Powers for more reliable effects.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Currently, I have five basic Powers: Energy Control (for Force Lightning and Energy Absorption, among other tricks), ESP (for sensing the future, past, etc), Healing, Psychokinesis (for the many TK tricks), and Telepathy (including the famous Jedi Mind Trick); each has its own Power Talent (5/level). All abilities would have a use skill to go along with them.
I'd actually consider only three Powers. Light, Dark and Gray. That way you tie the setting's Moral divisions into the power structure. Gray Talent stacks with Light or Dark, and Light and Dark are mutually exclusive, when you convert you lose the old Power and get equal points in the new Power.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'd actually consider only three Powers. Light, Dark and Gray. That way you tie the setting's Moral divisions into the power structure. Gray Talent stacks with Light or Dark, and Light and Dark are mutually exclusive, when you convert you lose the old Power and get equal points in the new Power.
For "light" and "dark", I'm taking a page from Impulse Buys, giving them 5 LS Points and 5 DS Points to influence die rolls. Those who use DSPs to influence the dice will need to roll at the end of the game day to prevent Dark Side Taint (using a variant of the Black Magic rules), with a penalty equal to the number of DSPs spent. (And a permanent loss of LSPs if they use such to influence the Taint resistance roll.)

And besides, under your three-Power setup, how would you do a Jedi - such as Halcyon and Horn - who is wholly incapable of TK?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
And besides, under your three-Power setup, how would you do a Jedi - such as Halcyon and Horn - who is wholly incapable of TK?
Don't buy the TK ability? I'd still do it with Skills for Everyone. So you could even give them Incompetence or an Anti-Talent with Force Grab, Force Push, Force Choke, and so on. Which would be the way to do it if you were also using Abilities by Default (which for the Force, you probably should),

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-07-2013 at 12:18 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Dustin

For what it's worth, we've been using Psionic Powers for Force effects in a Clone Wars game for quite some time, and it has worked very well with little modification. We used the same model (Powers with a use skill, powered by an Energy Pool) for other Force abilities that weren't covered by something in Psionic Powers, and setting them up is quick and easy.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
This is the BEST way in my opinion. The Force doesn't let you do things willy nilly. There are specific feats that can be done - and pretty much, that's it. I would make lots of use of Temporary Enhancements and Using Abilities at Default to represent some of the wackier abilities.

Quote:
I think I can safely say I know this system pretty well. It COULD work - but not well. It's way to flexible. And the Force ain't flexible. It may be the supreme source of teh kwel powerz - but most Jedi/Sith/Force Users can only use a handful of abilities.

Quote:
One other player recommended using Realm-based Magic as the basis. This I can work with a bit better than RPM, as I've fiddled with Realms a bit. To keep things simple, I'd probably use the 3- or 4-tier Realm system rather than the 6-tier system I've used in my Marvel stuff.
This is possible. It might even let you get the old WEG down quite close...but it is still way to flexible.

Stick with what you got and let the haters hate while the creators create.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Celti

After having spent far too much time trying to make Realms fit various visions of The Force, I'm actually going with fairly standard Powers now; you can count out my vote for Realms.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Jachra

The Force as Esoteric Skills
This is my completely untested shot at doing the Force as a series of Esoteric Skills, based on GURPS Martial Arts and some other things, including Magic as Psi.

I like this approach because it runs with the idea that the Force is a sort of amped up version of Wuxia. It also allows a lot of 'basic' ideas to be learned cheaply (after all, it seems like new Force Adepts pick up the basics pretty quickly in the series,) but mastery takes a long time and there's no easy route to it.

I did some rough calculations based on Time As Experience and it seems like this comes out pretty well. Sadly, I don't have these any more. Short version is that I accounted for the long-term intensive training of the Temple versus the more sporadic training of new initiates after the Temple was destroyed. The latter require a couple months of intensive training to get the basics, which seems fitting.

Last edited by Jachra; 07-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Jachra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
Gold & Appel Inc

I use the Powers rules for the Force, but mostly custom builds, not the stuff from the Psionic Powers book.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionic powers, realm magic, ritual path magic, star wars, the force