Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #16
Mailanka

Default Re: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

Ahhh, one of the many reasons why I threw up my hands and gave up trying to convert Star Wars (and many other settings) and instead filed off the serial numbers and did my own thing. Nobody can point at my elite shock troopers and say "But but in the movies..."

Still: the first part of the solution is to realize that Storm Troopers are extras in a highly cinematic world. They take a point of damage, they die. They don't even get to roll for defenses. Chances are, if you hit them, they die.

Furthermore, their armor doesn't seem to actually do much. The unarmored rebel soldiers seem to fair about as well as storm troopers in a blaster-fight. I think I'd just assume that stormtrooper armor is a light NBC suit or vacc suit, like others here have suggested. I know the lore tells us that Storm Troopers are teh ubar elite soldiers with teh awesomest armor and training and genetics evar, but what are you going to believe? The lore, or your own lying eyes?

Players will expect the armor to do so something (so a little DR is useful), but they'll cry foul as soon as the first storm trooper shrugs off a blaster bolt, whatever the lore says. So you either have to limit their armor, or do what I suggest at the beginning and make your own world unburdened by baggage
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars