Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #51
Nolinquisitor

Default Re: Star Wars racial templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog
They are not being penalized for being illiterate, they get 3 extra points to spend on something else. Wookieepedia states that most Ewoks know the language and that's why it is listed there. If a player decided his Ewok wasn't one of them, I'd allow him to remove the language.
Not what I met. :)

I just find strange to give 3 bonus points to member of a species because they can't read their non-existent written language. I believe illiteracy is a disadvantage when the language have a written from. Wookiepedia states that Ewokese have no written form.

Encouraging them to take Yuzzum is good, Wookiepedia states that several (not all) Ewoks talk this language, but I would place this language among template lenses or options.

But heck, it's just me. :)
Nolinquisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #52
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

The way I read it, it doesn't matter if their language doesn't have a written form or not. If they can't read, they get the 3 extra points. The way I see it, you get 6 free points that by default are spent on your native language. But if you don't know it that well, or there isn't anything to know, you can spend the points elsewhere.

For the sake of brevity I have so far listed only one template and no lenses. But that changed with the Gand, so perhaps I should distinguish between the two.

I have edited the first post to point out my one template design, but we'll see what the future holds. And I have updated the Gands and the Miralukans templates per the discussion, though some things are still unclear, as well as added the Zeltrons in post #35.

Last edited by Dragondog; 03-29-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #53
RyanW

Quote:
The way I read it, it doesn't matter if their language doesn't have a written form or not. If they can't read, they get the 3 extra points. The way I see it, you get 6 free points that by default are spent on your native language. But if you don't know it that well, or there isn't anything to know, you can spend the points elsewhere.
And considering you can't check a book to make sure your planting schedule/religious ritual/history lesson is correct, you can probably use the extra points.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #54
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
The quirk doesn't deal with the fact that they need to eat, it deals with the fact that that is the way they gain their metabolic ingredients. Perhaps I am reading more into this than I should. When I first read that I figured it was something he otherwise would have gotten merely by breathing that he now got while eating.
So they get all they need from eating, rather than eating and respiration. That's not a problem, that's an advantage they already paid for with Doesn't Breathe.

Quote:
Perhaps the sleep thing is something I misremember from 3e. Though Doesn't Sleep with prep required seems like a good choice at first glance, it would mean that he'd only need to sleep once and he can then stay awake for the rest of his life.
Just give it Maximum Duration: 1 Night -5% (Powers, p 111). That plus 1 hour of Prep Required will let them "save up" one hour of sleep and cash it in for one night of rest whenever they want, eliminating the need for the Less Sleep advantage as well because it already doesn't take long. As a special effect or maybe an additional -5% Nuisance, they are sound asleep during the prep time instead of concentrating, meditating, or whatever.

Quote:
How does Force -10% allow you to "ignoring things that counteract Force Powers"?
Part of the point break for Power Mods like Force -10% is (usually) that they can be nerfed or shut down by something. In this case, the force vision would be foiled by an area of Force Static, somebody with Obscure (Force), etc.

Quote:
Sense Based seem to be an attack modifier and therefore not usable on Detect.
4e Powers is a great book that I think you would enjoy immensely. ;)
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:52 AM   #55
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
So they get all they need from eating, rather than eating and respiration. That's not a problem, that's an advantage they already paid for with Doesn't Breathe.
I'll remove the quirk when I get home.

Quote:
Just give it Maximum Duration: 1 Night -5% (Powers, p 111). That plus 1 hour of Prep Required will let them "save up" one hour of sleep and cash it in for one night of rest whenever they want, eliminating the need for the Less Sleep advantage as well because it already doesn't take long. As a special effect or maybe an additional -5% Nuisance, they are sound asleep during the prep time instead of concentrating, meditating, or whatever.
As I read it they can store it longer than that. I don't have my books with me, but would this let them store more than one hour at a time? If that is the case, and they could cash it in when they want to, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Quote:
Part of the point break for Power Mods like Force -10% is (usually) that they can be nerfed or shut down by something. In this case, the force vision would be foiled by an area of Force Static, somebody with Obscure (Force), etc.
I know that. That is why I don't understand how it can ignore that which counteracts the Force.

Quote:
4e Powers is a great book that I think you would enjoy immensely. ;)
I have it, but I'm clearly not fully versed in it yet.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #56
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
As I read it they can store it longer than that. I don't have my books with me, but would this let them store more than one hour at a time? If that is the case, and they could cash it in when they want to, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
As you pointed out, without the Max Duration limitation on it, it would stay activated forever after a single hour of prep time. Take a 1 hour nap now, and you're good to go all night on any future night.

Quote:
I know that. That is why I don't understand how it can ignore that which counteracts the Force.
Okay, my wording choice was crap back there, sorry. What I meant was "The sense will not detect things that counteract the force," not "The sense will be immune to force countermeasures but still get a discount for the force power mod."
Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #57
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
As you pointed out, without the Max Duration limitation on it, it would stay activated forever after a single hour of prep time. Take a 1 hour nap now, and you're good to go all night on any future night.
Preparation Required says that the advantage becomes unprepared after use. Does that disallow me from taking a longer nap and skipping more than one night's sleep with this Max Duration.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #58
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Does no one have an answer to the question in my previous post?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #59
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Preparation Required says that the advantage becomes unprepared after use. Does that disallow me from taking a longer nap and skipping more than one night's sleep with this Max Duration.
Looks like it by a strict reading... if you want it to be that good, I'd probably just call it Doesn't Sleep with a Nuissance -5% "Must sleep a little once in a while actually, but only when it's totally convenient."

Tags
species, star wars