Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #1
Belisar

Default Star Wars force powers

Did anybody already convert force powers to GURPS? How would you handle lightsaber combat including blaster bolt deflection/redirection? And enhanced speed/jumping?
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Star Wars force powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
Did anybody already convert force powers to GURPS? How would you handle lightsaber combat including blaster bolt deflection/redirection? And enhanced speed/jumping?
For lightsaber combat you start with force sword style from Martial Arts. Then you add in Weapon Master:Force Sword and along with Danger Sense you can then buy Precognitive Parry.

After that you start in with Powers. Yo cn amke the Jedi faster all the time w/more Basic Speed or jsut Basic Move if its a little more ground speed you want.

Jumping can be done with Super Jump or it could just be the Jedi moving himself with his Telekinesis. A lot of later movie/Clone Wars jedi stunts could be just TK.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
For lightsaber combat you start with force sword style from Martial Arts. Then you add in Weapon Master:Force Sword and along with Danger Sense you can then buy Precognitive Parry.

After that you start in with Powers. Yo cn amke the Jedi faster all the time w/more Basic Speed or jsut Basic Move if its a little more ground speed you want.

Jumping can be done with Super Jump or it could just be the Jedi moving himself with his Telekinesis. A lot of later movie/Clone Wars jedi stunts could be just TK.
Thank you very much, great advice! That should easily cover all force aspects without having to invent the wheel anew.

Are there resources of Star Wars races and monsters? As a family father I sadly lack time to convert them all by myself.

Does GURPS Space cover Star Wars space combat? I won't emphasize on space combat but just in case I want to be prepared. Or should I rather handwave it?
Old 05-22-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
Varyon

Note reflecting blaster bolts is something you'll need to work out for yourself, as nothing in GURPS quite matches. My own inclination would be that you take a penalty to your Parry - perhaps simply -1, to match Aggressive Parry, although my own inclination would be -2 - and, if successful, you automatically get a free attack against any foe; this attack uses the higher of DX and Innate Attack, and should probably be at around -4 or so to hit, in addition to the penalty for Range to the target, and any relevant penalties for striking a foe to the Side or Rear, should the character opt to do so (and with no Acc bonus, of course). Characters who specialize in fighting foes with blasters, such as those who favor the Soresu form, would likely use Techniques to buy off the penalties, and possibly even invest in Innate Attack. Damage would be as for the original blaster bolt, but with 1/2D and Max reduced for how far the bolt traveled before being Parried.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:02 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
Are there resources of Star Wars races and monsters? As a family father I sadly lack time to convert them all by myself.

Does GURPS Space cover Star Wars space combat? I won't emphasize on space combat but just in case I want to be prepared. Or should I rather handwave it?
Not official ones, because the license to publish Star Wars RPG material is expensive, and not held by SJ Games. However, lots of people tinker with it: give it a few days, and you'll have lots of links added to this thread.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Note reflecting blaster bolts is something you'll need to work out for yourself, as nothing in GURPS quite matches. My own inclination would be that you take a penalty to your Parry - perhaps simply -1, to match Aggressive Parry, although my own inclination would be -2 - and, if successful, you automatically get a free attack against any foe; this attack uses the higher of DX and Innate Attack, and should probably be at around -4 or so to hit, in addition to the penalty for Range to the target, and any relevant penalties for striking a foe to the Side or Rear, should the character opt to do so (and with no Acc bonus, of course). Characters who specialize in fighting foes with blasters, such as those who favor the Soresu form, would likely use Techniques to buy off the penalties, and possibly even invest in Innate Attack. Damage would be as for the original blaster bolt, but with 1/2D and Max reduced for how far the bolt traveled before being Parried.
That sounds like a very good approach to reflecting, thank you!
Old 05-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
Refplace

GURPS Spaceships is a fairly simple ship design system and has a few ships from various major sci-fi franchises including star destroyers. Just the serial numbers filed off.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Not official ones, because the license to publish Star Wars RPG material is expensive, and not held by SJ Games. However, lots of people tinker with it: give it a few days, and you'll have lots of links added to this thread.
I have never experienced such a helpful community like the GURPS one. It's always a pleasure to ask questions, members are very eager to answer. I am very happy that GURPS still receives so much love.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #9
dcarson

There is the Psi-Wars setting which is totally not Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off, ignore the file marks. https://mailanka.blogspot.com/2016/0...rs-primer.html
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
Phantasm

Permit me to link my Star Wars conversion, including my takes on the various lightsaber forms, and my takes on various Force powers (using the Psionic Powers framework, easily adjusted to use the Sorcery framework).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jedi, star wars