Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: IQ points, talents, spells, XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I agree. I concur.
Either IQ is massively overvalued during character creation, and of normal value after (to the tune of 6 to 1 against ST or DX), or it's of normal value during and borderline worthless after.

A character with ST 8 DX 8 IQ 16 is effectively 800 XP + 800 XP + 1600 XP (IQ) + 8000 XP (talents/spells), for 11,200 XP, while a character with IQ 8 and the other 24 points in ST and DX is effectively 7,200 XP.

That's a big difference. 4000 XP, or eight talent/spells worth!

Edit: Or, the third option, is that talents are way too expensive, at 500 XP per. Maybe they should be less? Say, 100 XP per, bringing them on par with ST, DX, and IQ?

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!

Last edited by Chris Goodwin; 10-02-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #12
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
If ST and DX are just as critical, why, during character creation, does each cost 100 XP, but IQ cost 600 XP? Or why is each point of ST or DX "only" worth 100 points, while each point of IQ is worth 600?
I know this is a separate topic, but that's actually one of my issues w/ the new rules that try to quantify the cost of talents in terms of XP. By doing that, the inequity you see now is created, but it isn't an accurate reflection of the intent or relative 'weight' of the stats when you look at them holistically.

To me, it is the unintended consequence of the XP for talents rule.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #13
platimus

Quote:
Either IQ is overvalued during character creation, and of normal value after, or it's of normal value during and borderline worthless after.

A character with ST 8 DX 8 IQ 16 is effectively 800 XP + 800 XP + 1600 XP (IQ) + 8000 XP (talents/spells), for 11,200 XP, while a character with IQ 8 and the other 24 points in ST and DX is effectively 7,200 XP.

That's a big difference. 4000 XP, or eight talent/spells worth!
Did you see my other post? Might have missed with multiple posts occurring within a matter of 60 seconds...

All characters start with 10 points of talents/spells. Done. IQ factors in no where except as a requirement of the talent/spell.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Did you see my other post? Might have missed with multiple posts occurring within a matter of 60 seconds...

All characters start with 10 points of talents/spells. Done. IQ factors in no where except as a requirement of the talent/spell.
I think I did miss that. That's actually very close to what I'm looking at, except that all of the points come out of the same pool. If we make each attribute point two character points, and each talent/spell one character point, then 32 attributes plus 10 talents come to 74 points, or 75 to make it a nice round number.

But yours has the benefit of being a good bit simpler than mine, and the point values line up closer with the old school values.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #15
platimus

Quote:
But yours has the benefit of being a good bit simpler than mine, and the point values line up closer with the old school values.
Precisely why I thought it was worth attention :)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #16
platimus

So with a 32 and 10 rule, the only question left is: What happens if some of that 10 is unspent?

Answer: You can shift 1 point of it to stats. Otherwise, use it or lose it.

This might result in players taking some talents/spells they may not have otherwise chosen. I think that's great.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
hcobb

The reason why all characters start with Learning 10 is that they all start the same age and so have had the same amount of time to practice spells, swinging swords, singing sad songs and so on.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #18
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The reason why all characters start with Learning 10 is that they all start the same age and so have had the same amount of time to practice spells, swinging swords, singing sad songs and so on.
Sounds good to me. But age is just a number :)

Some folks have more experiences by a certain age than others. :)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #19
hcobb

Thus we have the return of the bright young apprentice who's lugging around a library in his backpack.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #20
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Thus we have the return of the bright young apprentice who's lugging around a library in his backpack.
Not sure what that is supposed to mean. My backpack is mostly empty! :)