Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Celjabba

Default Re: Miraculous Toolbelt Uses?

Myself, I would just limit it to only one tool at a time, and require the character to have at least one cp in a skill that use that tool.
If that kind of loot is in the game, the player should get to enjoy it.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Could he summon up a Locksmith kit from it for Fine-quality lockpicks?

"It acts as a good-quality (+1 to skill) tool kit for any nonesoteric skill requiring tools."

I'd say yes to 'good' quality.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Culture20

Just thought of some attack methods using my restrictive interpretation: *Attempting open heart surgery or anesthesia for same with reduced time. Very likely to fail either intended result.
*Butcher skill should give a meat cleaver, but butcher:long-pig might require an unusual background
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Just thought of some attack methods using my restrictive interpretation: *Attempting open heart surgery or anesthesia for same with reduced time. Very likely to fail either intended result.
*Butcher skill should give a meat cleaver, but butcher:long-pig might require an unusual background
Butchers don't tend to be species specific until assembly line butchery comes into use. In a preindustrial setting that most fantasy that has this sort of magic item tends to be in, anybody with a farm or huntsman background should be able to butcher.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Could he summon up a Locksmith kit from it for Fine-quality lockpicks?
People keep quoting the "non-esoteric skills" bit, so...

Esoteric Skills are stuff like Alchemy*, Exorcism*, Hazardous Materials (Magical)*, Esoteric Medicine**, Ritual Magic*, etc...

* However if they need common things like candles, chalk, string, thick leather gloves, etc, I'd be okay with that being in the toolbelt. But these wouldn't count as "Good Tools", but as "Basic Tools".

** It's right there in the name after all...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If you want to control possible abuse of the magic item, you might take the description literally. It says "a craftsman searching the pouches will always find...", so one thing a GM might do is allow characters only to produce tools for craft skills they actually possess at 12+. You need sufficient familiarity with the tools for the belt to produce them based on your need; it doesn't just create anything you vaguely remember or imagine.
Clever! :D
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Clever! :D
That would keep it from being one of those advantages that benefits every party member directly like the oft abused wealth used for kitting out all the Poor PCs.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #18
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
People keep quoting the "non-esoteric skills" bit, so...

Esoteric Skills are stuff like Alchemy*, Exorcism*, Hazardous Materials (Magical)*, Esoteric Medicine**, Ritual Magic*, etc...

* However if they need common things like candles, chalk, string, thick leather gloves, etc, I'd be okay with that being in the toolbelt. But these wouldn't count as "Good Tools", but as "Basic Tools".

** It's right there in the name after all...
I am not seeing these skills producing anything super interesting?

Alchemy - perhaps an alcohol burner with 1oz alcohol? (Potentially better off using cooking)
Exorcism - a holy symbol and a book from the faith in question?
Hazardous materials - a pair of meiotic laced gauntlets, rope, hook, bag and mask?
Ritual magic - chalk, salt, and candles, possibly a tiny ritual knife?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The specific items aren't important, any more than the specific contents of a toolkit or personal/group basics is important. It eliminates the - 5 for improvised tools and gives a +1 instead; just like a good quality toolkit, except that it is universal. It is that simple, there's no need to overthink it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #20
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The specific items aren't important, any more than the specific contents of a toolkit or personal/group basics is important. It eliminates the - 5 for improvised tools and gives a +1 instead; just like a good quality toolkit, except that it is universal. It is that simple, there's no need to overthink it.
It also (partially) eliminate the weight and bulk of a toolkit, and the meed to replace broken tools.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungen fantasy, magic items, miraculous toolbelt