Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Tyneras

Default Healing and Decreased Immunity Enhancement

Healing (Basic p.59) has a -3 modifier for every successful healing on the same subject, resetting after 24 hours from the last success. Would Decreased Immunity (Power-Ups 4 p.13) be a valid enhancement to remove this penalty? And if so, what level? It is most similar to Level 2 ( Cumulative -2 penalty lasting one day) but is a bit stronger, would this be Level 2, Level 3, or Level 2.5?

In the past I used Cosmic: No Repeat Use Penalty, +100% which would be the same as 2 levels of Decreased Immunity.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Healing and Decreased Immunity Enhancement

I used a +50% to get rid of it before and it honestly felt like overkill. Now I just rule that the Healing advantage (not spells like Minor Healing) don't have the daily penalties at all and have it be a -20% limitation to keep it.

(I've seen Kromm and PK talk about how it was a holdover from Magic to put it on Healing and it wasn't enough of an issue to consider changing it later, based on that conversation and the fact that everyone always wants this enhancement I just changed things).

Last edited by kirbwarrior; 10-24-2020 at 05:43 AM. Reason: typo
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Healing (Basic p.59) has a -3 modifier for every successful healing on the same subject, resetting after 24 hours from the last success. Would Decreased Immunity (Power-Ups 4 p.13) be a valid enhancement to remove this penalty? And if so, what level? It is most similar to Level 2 ( Cumulative -2 penalty lasting one day) but is a bit stronger, would this be Level 2, Level 3, or Level 2.5?

In the past I used Cosmic: No Repeat Use Penalty, +100% which would be the same as 2 levels of Decreased Immunity.
Yup. That's what I did here. It works out perfectly and within the rules.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Kallatari

The play around with the 24-hour cumulative -3 penalty, just use the Decreased Immunity/Increased Immunity modifiers as is, except you replace the -2 penalty of the modifier with the inherent -3 of Healing.

As others have pointed out, this works out to 2 levels of Decreased Immunity worth +100% to eliminate the cumulative penalty, which conveniently matches the +100% Cosmic modifier for "breaking the rules", which is to me the right level. This therefore, in my opinion, supports the fact that the existing modifiers are the right price to use for making any type of change to the cumulative penalty.

(For what it's worth, I replaced the cumulative -3 penalty to Healing with a -2 penalty in my games just to match the Increased/Decrease Immunity penalty, but that change is purely a house rule. On average it gives them 1 extra successful heal in a 24 hour period, which to me isn't a big deal.)
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Tyneras

Thank you all for the feedback. I've been building a lot of new abilities lately and reviewing a lot of old ones. Lot of odd jury-rigged stuff and old work arounds I'm cleaning up with modifiers that didn't exist at the time or I overlooked.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
Plane

The trick to cheap healing is make it resistable with a will roll -10% and then Easy to Resist. It will not help heal scared townspeople but your allies will be fine
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:41 AM   #7
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The trick to cheap healing is make it resistable with a will roll -10% and then Easy to Resist. It will not help heal scared townspeople but your allies will be fine
I'm not sure I'd allow those. The healing spells (I think anything that's a strict upside) in Magic already let you resist with no roll if (for some reason) you don't want to be healed and I'd apply that to the Healing advantage. (And without Multiplicative Modifiers, you might not be saving that many points anyway)

On a note, No Roll Required does wonders and is even better without the daily penalties.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:00 AM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
On a note, No Roll Required does wonders and is even better without the daily penalties.
Absolutely, but now we're talking in the vicinity of 90 points. If you have that many points, that's great but 90 points is a lot. At least at the power levels I'm talking.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
The healing spells (I think anything that's a strict upside) in Magic already let you resist with no roll if (for some reason) you don't want to be healed.
Cannot seem to find this tidbit, anyone know the page?

It almost seems like the reverse, a lack of 'Resisted' meaning you can't really do anything to stop it short of switching on Magic Resistance, using Ward or putting up a Spell Shield.

While I'm looking at that sectin... in terms of rule of 16 on M14 sapient I know is IQ6 but wondering what "living" is statistically. I guess a minimum of 1 in all primary (iq/dx/ht/st) and secondary (will/per/hp/fp) attributes might be a good guideline? Sorry Body of Air/Fire.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #10
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Cannot seem to find this tidbit, anyone know the page?
I can't seem to find it on a cursory search. Maybe it was a 3rd edition thing. Or maybe it was an intent? I can't be certain, but it's definitely weird if you can't resist positive spells.

Tags
decreased immunity, enhancement, healing, modifier