Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
thom

Default Using Extra Effort when Physical/Mental Stunned?

In the last session one PC ended up Stunned and kept failing his checks. While being attacked, he asked if he could use Feverish Defense to get around the -4 penalty on his Active Defenses (I allow Extra Efforts in my game). First time I ever had someone ask that! I couldn't find an answer anywhere, so for MGF I allowed it. But now I come to the wisdom of the group <sg>.

Has anyone ever had this come up? And how would you handle it?

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Using Extra Effort when Physical/Mental Stunned?

I wouldnt allow it myself, if your stunned your not able to focus enough to defend yourself properly or take any action till you recover. Seems to me your too distracted and out of sorts to push yourself hard to do Extra Effort of any kind.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

Has anyone ever had this come up? And how would you handle it?

thom
Never come up and it sounds like a situation you use Luck to avoid in the first place. Or maybe even just a decent HT Roll.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I wouldn't allow it myself, if your stunned your not able to focus enough to defend yourself properly or take any action till you recover. Seems to me your too distracted and out of sorts to push yourself hard to do Extra Effort of any kind.
In hindsight, I agree; it does seem one needs to focus a bit in order to use EE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Never come up and it sounds like a situation you use Luck to avoid in the first place. Or maybe even just a decent HT Roll.
Dead right about Luck-but he'd already used it for the day (you might suspect he was having a bad one <eg>); and he doesn't have Combat Reflexes. Somehow he couldn't seem to roll his Health to save himself!

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Varyon

I'd allow it. Someone desperately trying to throw themselves out of the way of an attack while still reeling from a previous attack (or otherwise being Stunned - say mentally stunned from the start of combat, where they can't really tell what's going on but they do know they need to get the heck away from that thing that keeps coming toward their face at high speed) doesn't break my Sense of Disbelief anymore than Feverish Defenses would in the first place. Heck, in a case where the character just keeps failing to recover, I might let them burn 1 FP for a +4 to shake it off.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:55 PM   #6
Plane

I always thought it'd be interesting if tapping into extra effort required a will roll.

I also figured if you were mentally stunned there ought to be some kind of IQ penalty wherever checks were relevant.

Like if you are effectively -8 to DX (to be -4 to parry) then why not also -8 to IQ?

That'd be on the same level as Slave Mentality (B154) in ability to take voluntary actions.

In this way we could just look at being stunned as being twice as bad as the worst kind (-4 to DX and IQ) kind of shock.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:19 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I always thought it'd be interesting if tapping into extra effort required a will roll.
It normally does - I believe the authors opted to waive the roll for Extra Effort in Combat to cut down on excessive rolling (roll against Will to use Mighty Blows, roll against combat skill to attack, possibly roll on the Random Hit Locations Table and/or 1d to see if you bypass armor with partial coverage, on a hit the enemy rolls against Will to use Feverish Defense, then rolls against their effective defense to avoid the hit, on a failure you then roll for damage, if a Major Wound is scored the enemy then rolls against Knockdown and Stunning... all for one attack). Personally, I prefer the rules as they stand - burn FP, get a reliable benefit, keep playing.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
RGTraynor

I'd allow it myself. I've seen similar things happen in MMA. Desperation is.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #9
oneofmanynameless

I'd allow it. Being persistently stunned in second by second isn't really fun, and then getting attacked in that context can make it worse. If a player's only option for engaging with the game is an active defense I'd let them invest in that active defense, especially if failure could be a major or long-term problem for the character (death, crippling injury, major injury in a world without healing magic, etc), which is pretty much the norm in GURPS combat sans a lot of "cinematic" rules and/or super powers. I'd also allow retreating, dive for cover, and other defensive options.

If you want an "in world" reason, then I agree about desperation, as RGTraynor brought up. Adrenaline and survival instincts are strong.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
I'd also allow retreating, dive for cover, and other defensive options.
Note that this is not merely a ruling on something left unclear, but a change to the RAW - B377 explicitly calls out Retreat as not being available if you're stunned.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote