Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2022, 07:25 AM   #6071
Phil Masters

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Having a deposed foreign monarch staying on your turf is terribly inconvenient when you’re trying to cosy up to the successor government, but sending such a monarch back to face execution is seriously Not Done, especially when the British royals get to Not Interfere With Government, Honest on the subject. The diplomatic service would try to get the subject quietly shuffled aside and forgotten; if that seemed to be failing, the Russian royals would be quietly informed that comfortable accommodation had been arranged for them in Zurich or Morocco or somewhere.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:34 AM   #6072
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Having a deposed foreign monarch staying on your turf is terribly inconvenient when you’re trying to cosy up to the successor government, but sending such a monarch back to face execution is seriously Not Done
That's especially true in this case, where it would not even solve the problem. If you just had the Czar, maybe you could find him guilty of something and extradite him. But in this case you also have his children, who'd continue to be the nearly same irritant to whatever government came to power in Russia. A couple of them are even underage. Sending girls back to be executed too is [not] going to fly even with the part of your public who hates the Czar, never mind those who care anything about either human rights or national honor.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #6073
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_67 View Post
Hmmm...I'm still working on elements of my Dixie-7 world - that I talked about when I asked others how they dealt with DC in their Dixie-1 games - but am wondering if this would be as good a place as any in posting it?
Yes, this is the best place to post it.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #6074
Astromancer

Culvern

This Q6 Low Mana parallel has diverged within the last century. Around 150AD gunpowder was made public knowledge in Rome. By 170 guns and mortars were being used in battle. Commodus managed to kill himself with an exploding gun in 176.

Although gunpowder weapons spread quickly Rome's superior logistics meant that they consistently had more guns and mortars (later cannons) and more ammunition than their foes. Soon Rome conquered Persia and took control of those trade routes.

The local year is 400AD. Other than gunpowder, Rome's technology doesn't seem that advanced. However, the exotic technologies we know Rome did have seem to be far more widely distributed in this Rome than in Homeline's.

This means exotic toys are common enough, but practical technologies are ignored. Or they were ignored. Someone has introduced the crank to Rome.

Basically, this is a mystery setting. Did this rich and throughly exotic Rome invent the crank on its own. Or did someone introduce the crank? And why?

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-05-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:17 PM   #6075
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Culvern

This means exotic toys are common enough, but practical technologies are ignored. Or they were ignored. Someone has introduced the crank to Rome.

Basically, this is a mystery setting. Did this rich and throughly exotic Rome invent the crank on its own. Or did someone introduce the crank? And why?
Do you mean this kind of crank? Or something that in our timeline, wasn't extent in the Roman empire by, at the latest, the 2nd century?
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:15 AM   #6076
Phil Masters

Quote:
This Q6 Low Mana parallel has diverged within the last century. Around 150AD gunpowder was made public knowledge in Rome. By 170 guns and mortars were being used in battle. ... The local year is 400AD.
Some arithmetic problems here.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:10 AM   #6077
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Do you mean this kind of crank? Or something that in our timeline, wasn't extent in the Roman empire by, at the latest, the 2nd century?
I had read that the crank wasn't a common technology in the West until 500AD. Archeology may have changed its assessment.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #6078
Dave_67

Quote:
Yes, this is the best place to post it.
Okay, I'll try and make an effort to finish things up - was running out of steam with it the last few months - as I'm still trying to figure out WW I at the moment. Mind you, it's not a full-blown new background, more filling holes early on - like how Walker was able to hold onto power in Nicaragua - and then taking things into left field. The biggest being that President Long was able to, posthumously, officially abolish slavery in 1936...by the 1930 Confederate census there were only just over 438,300 enslaved out of a population over 60 million, or just 0.76%

(One of the pitfalls for me over the past 2 1/2 years going over this was that I did up a full analysis of the population breakdown state by state to get the total population and state representation in Congress, including the rate of reduction of the percentage of the slave population in those states that still practiced it over time. I even did up electoral maps in the style of 270toWin for the total of 51 presidential elections - 20 CS and 31 US - since the Civil War So it kinda bogged me down, especially when about a quarter of the pages I have in the Excel spreadsheet to keep everything straight ARE for elections and population representation.)

Last edited by Dave_67; 12-12-2022 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Forgot a couple of words.
Dave_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #6079
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
That's especially true in this case, where it would not even solve the problem. If you just had the Czar, maybe you could find him guilty of something and extradite him. But in this case you also have his children, who'd continue to be the nearly same irritant to whatever government came to power in Russia. A couple of them are even underage. Sending girls back to be executed too is [not] going to fly even with the part of your public who hates the Czar, never mind those who care anything about either human rights or national honor.
Centrum would be very tempted to kill the Czar, as then he would be a martyr. Hell, British intelligence would be happy to see him die - and as an inbred hemophiliac, would be very plausible.

If Infinity discovered an Interworld plot to kill the exiled Czar, or even a native British plot, would they intervene? Hardly a great person, and intervening would risk exposing Infinity intelligence.

But what if Homeline Russia heard about a plot? Would a nationalist Homeline Kremlin want to save the czar, or support the creation of the Soviet Union? Would saving the czar go against the government's agreement with Homeline Russian Communist Party not to interfere in alternate Russian civil wars?

In the BBC mini-series SS-GB, where Britain is occupied by the Nazis, a major plot point is getting an ailing King George out of the country.

[SPOILER ALERT] The King dies trying to escape, but this is posited as a good thing, as the rest of the royal family, including young Princess Elizabeth, was in Canada, and now she could be the symbol of the resistance and a government-in-exile that hadn't yet been recognized by the U.S.

Tsarevich Alexei, Czar Nicholas' heir, would be a much better anti-Soviet symbol. He would be 13 years old, and though a very sick boy (severe hemophilia), an easily managed symbol.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #6080
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
Centrum would be very tempted to kill the Czar, as then he would be a martyr. Hell, British intelligence would be happy to see him die - and as an inbred haemophiliac, would be very plausible.
He wasn't a haemophiliac. Haemophilia can only be inherited maternally; Tsarina Alexandra was a grand-daughter of Victoria and carried the mutation . . . this was a significant plot point in the occult WWII campaign, OK?

The British would be far more inclined to give a motivated Russian a chance to kill the Tsar than to do it themselves. Giving someone a chance can be passed off as a failure of security; a murder by your own staff makes it much harder to deflect the blame.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited