Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
Sorenant

Default Four Arm Martial Arts

The thread about tentacles got me thinking about this and wanted to hear what others have to say. What kind of martial arts would a race with multiple arms would use? And related to it what kind of weapons would they prefer?
To reduce the scope of question, let's assume a very human-like race with two pairs of arms (let's ignore the wonky anatomy for a second). In GURPS terms, just a basic Human template [0] with Extra Arms 2 [20].
A few thoughts of mine:
  • With only a pair of arms choosing between an one-handed weapon with a shield and two-handed weapon is an important choice. A race with 4 arms could use both at the same time, increasing their options by quite a lot.
  • However two-handed melee weapons requires some clearance to use, so a shield might get a bit on the way. If such style was used by this race, coordinating shield position to not interfere with the weapon might be a big part of its martial arts.
  • Similarly, a cavalryman could use both lance and bow at the same time, though I'm not sure if the amount of training required to be adept at both would be feasible or worth.
  • On the other hand, it's possible that they would develop weapons that takes advantage of their arms thus requiring all of them to be used. I'm no inventor so I can't think of anything too alien at the moment, but I think simply larger polearms requiring the strength of all four limbs might be a possibility. Speaking of which, is there any official rule about the effect of using more than two hands to handle a weapon? I don't recall one.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Four Arm Martial Arts

It depends on their typical foes too.
I would lean towards grappling skills and short weapons with an emphasis on feints and deceptive attacks as that is already a lot for an opponent to try and keep track of.
Spears are good options for longer reach as they are used in a thrusting manner so you have fewer issues with getting in your own way.
Javelins and Spears for ranged rather than bows or slings for a similar reason.
And using a bow and lance at the same time is not very good, if you hit with the lance its going to throw your balance and hence aim off.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
LoneWolf23k

A Four-armed warrior could easily wield a Greatsword with one side's pair of hands, and a Tower Shield with the other side's pair of arms.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Even better, they could have a medium shield on each side, giving them a +4 DB and two blocks a turn, and a two-handed weapon (or two one-handed weapons). So, a four-armed humanoid could block, dodge, and parry better than a two-armed humanoid, as long as they had the proper equipment. I would also give them a +4 ST, just to allow them to effectively use the majority of two-handed weapons.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
A Four-armed warrior could easily wield a Greatsword with one side's pair of hands, and a Tower Shield with the other side's pair of arms.
The problem with that is your not using the shoulders and hip as effectively so I think it would be a weaker slash.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
EI would also give them a +4 ST, just to allow them to effectively use the majority of two-handed weapons.
Arm ST maybe. 4 arms aren't going to improve your Enc or your kicking power.

You might be able to make a 4-handed bow though but that might need to be handled as adding BLs rather than ST.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
a humble lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The problem with that is your not using the shoulders and hip as effectively so I think it would be a weaker slash.
I think biomechanics issues like that would be a big deal; you might not be able to use two handed weapons as effectively as two armed created. Also, the extra arms might get in the way.

I think most styles would still assume the warrior is only using one weapon at a time, for the same reasons that there are not many real styles that use two weapons at once. The styles that would develop would also depend if the expected opponent had two arms or four. A few styles I thought of are:

An infantry technique with a long spear and large shield. Normally there would be one hand controlling the shield and two hands on the spear. Before the melee begins, the fourth hand is used to throw missiles. Once melee begins it is used with the spear to give it extra power, or to draw a short sword if the opponent has gotten within the reach of the spear.

A cavalry technique with a bow, sword, and shield. The bow and sword are not intended to be used at the same time. The bow has a powerful draw and requires three hands to use (one to hold the bow and both hands on the other side draw the string). If the horseman wants to charge (or is being charged) the two bow-drawing hands draw a katana sized sword.

The third style uses four matched shortswords. It is not the most effective in combat, but it looks very flashy, especially to two armed warriors.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Even better, they could have a medium shield on each side, giving them a +4 DB and two blocks a turn, and a two-handed weapon (or two one-handed weapons). So, a four-armed humanoid could block, dodge, and parry better than a two-armed humanoid, as long as they had the proper equipment. I would also give them a +4 ST, just to allow them to effectively use the majority of two-handed weapons.
I couldn't find the entry on Basic, but this post by Kromm says the DB of multiple shields doesn't stack. On the other hand, I feel like it should have some effect on at least Block and taking cover...
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
I couldn't find the entry on Basic, but this post by Kromm says the DB of multiple shields doesn't stack. On the other hand, I feel like it should have some effect on at least Block and taking cover...
Well, two shields, one on each side, would let you block to the front twice, and the shields' coverage would extend to both flanks rather than just one. As Block takes no off-hand penalty, an extra block at full chances is quite nice.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #10
Lord Azagthoth

What about givng it four spiked shields?

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra arms, general grievous, martial arts