Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #21
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Spaceships/Pyramid 3/34] SHIELD Helicarrier from Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Emergent Superscience says you can adjust the introduction TL for superscience tech, which definitely seems appropriate for the MCU with it's flying cars, arc reactors, and repulsor tech.
Doesn't S.H.I.E.L.D. "steal" tech from aliens, geniuses, etc.? They could have any odd mix of TL hodgepodge one could imagine.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #22
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Doesn't S.H.I.E.L.D. "steal" tech from aliens, geniuses, etc.? They could have any odd mix of TL hodgepodge one could imagine.
Yep. Though they didn't steal the flying car tech or anything - that was invented by Iron Man's dad back during WWII, one of the founders of SHIELD in the Marvel cinematic universe.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #23
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I thought it was three 8-hour shifts, not two 12-hour shifts. But then, my knowledge of USN regs is several decades out of date. Either way, there's enough cabin space on this craft at SM +11 (much more at SM +12) to handle three shifts plus flight crews.
When my dad served in the 90's his ship used four 6-hour shifts, staffed by two crews. So it was 6 on, 6 off, rinse and repeat. He felt he was lucky because his shop was one of the few that did 12 on, 12 off.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #24
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
[B][U][SIZE="3"]Hangars:
F/A-18E/Fs or F-35B/Cs (or other SM +5 craft): 100
Support (SM +6) craft: 30
That's a lot of aircraft, isn't it? Doesn't a Nimitz only carry 90 planes and helicopters?
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #25
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
That's a lot of aircraft, isn't it? Doesn't a Nimitz only carry 90 planes and helicopters?
It is. Being ex-Air Force, I really don't know Navy regs that much. Again, it's a guess based on how much it can carry, not how much it will carry.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #26
wabishtar

Next, try and stat up the Milano from Guardians of the Galaxy. The only even slight reference we got to how that thing worked was Peter mentioning that it used fuel. Given the places they travel to in the movie, it clearly has some kind of FTL drive. Also, a tape deck. That pretty much all we know, so a shiny gold coin to the first one to come up with stats that plausibly match the movie.
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabishtar View Post
Next, try and stat up the Milano from Guardians of the Galaxy.
You start by guessing the size and I'd go with SM+7. It had multiple crew quarters and 7 is about as small as you can get that.

TL is tricky too. Generally the GotG TL is quite high but the small ships appeared to lack force screens. The Dark Aster (Ronan's ship) had a screen but it was neutralized pretty easily. Call it 11^ .

The Milano's armament appeared to be only a pair of blaster(?) autocannons in the nose. No idea if there were tailguns or pop-up turrets. No signs of missile launchers either.

Atmospheric maneuverability was quite high. At least 1 G and streamlining required. 2G is not out of the question. Probably not the 50G you see with some TL11^ thrusters though. Fuel use is token only though. Not a sign of expending of reaction mass so it used reactionless thrusters.

Reactionless thrusters (and very high thrust to weight ones) are also necessary for Star Lord's boot jets.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #28
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Reactionless thrusters (and very high thrust to weight ones) are also necessary for Star Lord's boot jets.
Also Iron Man's thrusters as well, I'd say. In fact, I would probably say "repulsors" in the MCU are reactionless thrusters. The real question is "rotary, standard, or hot, as far as performance goes?"

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #29
wabishtar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Not a sign of expending of reaction mass so it used reactionless thrusters.
But Star Lord complained about the price of fuel at Knowhere, saying he might loose money on this trip, which implies that the Milano uses uses fuel in a non-trivial way. Perhaps the FTL requires fuel?
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #30
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabishtar View Post
But Star Lord complained about the price of fuel at Knowhere, saying he might loose money on this trip, which implies that the Milano uses uses fuel in a non-trivial way. Perhaps the FTL requires fuel?
<shrug> Fuel use is specifi3ed as "token" which is usually "costs money". It's not reaction mass and it doesn't feed any sort of nuclear or total conversion reactor.

The Milano does not (to my eye at least) have enough volume for Traveler style "jump fuel" which is another class of token fuel use which includes "inflicts major volume penalty". However, most Traveller art doesn't seem to make its' ships big enough for their enormous volumes of liquid hydrogen either.

Tags
avengers, marvel, pyramid 3/34, spaceships