Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
BaHalus

Default Centaurs in GCS

How could I create a centaur in GCS?

I want it to have human ST for punches, bites and ST-based weapons, but horse-like ST to kicks, encumbrance and the rest.

Everything I tried resulted in full ST punches.

And how can I create advantages and disadvantages based on the enhancements and limitations of the extra arm advantage?
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Centaurs in GCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
How could I create a centaur in GCS?

I want it to have human ST for punches, bites and ST-based weapons, but horse-like ST to kicks, encumbrance and the rest.

Everything I tried resulted in full ST punches.

And how can I create advantages and disadvantages based on the enhancements and limitations of the extra arm advantage?
First take Hooves and Extra Legs as B263 suggests as your baseline.
Buy up the ST you want for your legs/torso.

Then just reduce the ST of only your arms so they're half as strong as your overall ST suggests.

B53's "Modifying Beings With One or Two Arms" policy of 1/10 the percentile adapting Weak -25% gives -2.5 per arm, or -5 per pair.

You could also save 10 points by doing a 75% reduciton to only 25% ST in the arms but you might find that a bit extreme unless it's a VERY embellished centaur with ST 20 legs and ST 5 arms. More likely a centaur just has ST 20 legs and ST 10 arms.

Would be cool if we had more options to custom-tweak the ST reduction for a pair of arms than the established two (-50% -5 or -75% for -10) like for saving 1-4 points or 6-9 points, but I don't have the math to figure out what % reductions (1-49% or 51-74%) that should be since it's not linear.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #3
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
First take Hooves and Extra Legs as B263 suggests as your baseline.
Buy up the ST you want for your legs/torso.

Then just reduce the ST of only your arms so they're half as strong as your overall ST suggests.

B53's "Modifying Beings With One or Two Arms" policy of 1/10 the percentile adapting Weak -25% gives -2.5 per arm, or -5 per pair.

You could also save 10 points by doing a 75% reduciton to only 25% ST in the arms but you might find that a bit extreme unless it's a VERY embellished centaur with ST 20 legs and ST 5 arms. More likely a centaur just has ST 20 legs and ST 10 arms.

Would be cool if we had more options to custom-tweak the ST reduction for a pair of arms than the established two (-50% -5 or -75% for -10) like for saving 1-4 points or 6-9 points, but I don't have the math to figure out what % reductions (1-49% or 51-74%) that should be since it's not linear.
But where I find this option in GCS? How I make him recognize that punches must be weaker than kicks? Trying to edit directly in extra-arms didn't work out and the option of using -40% for no manipulators also didn't worked.

Tried to find a way to give arm-ST only for the legs, but didn't find that option either.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:35 PM   #4
BaHalus

Tried Striking ST (one attack only, kicks, -60%), but didn't worked also.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
Plane

Quote:
where I find this option in GCS?
first I'm hearing of this, having trouble figuring out how to install it from Github

Perhaps these advantanges/disads derived from enhancements/limitations haven't been coded as traits yet?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
But where I find this option in GCS? How I make him recognize that punches must be weaker than kicks? Trying to edit directly in extra-arms didn't work out and the option of using -40% for no manipulators also didn't worked.

Tried to find a way to give arm-ST only for the legs, but didn't find that option either.

You should have an advantage named "Natural attacks". Open it, open the natural weapons tab, select the attack you want to modify, and then change the Damage dropdown to blank. You can then manually set the damage to whatever you want.

This won't automatically update with ST, but it will let GCS show the right numbers. That the dropdown on weapons and the features on attribute bonuses for advantages don't allow applying ST bonus for only one weapon makes me think that GCS doesn't support this.

This is for GCS 4.30. Versioning really matters for that program. As in 4.19 is completely different and has different options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
first I'm hearing of this, having trouble figuring out how to install it from Github
this link will download an installer.

You want the .msi file from github, and unless you're careful you can end up looking at the library page instead of the program page.

Also, the main site lists the current installers as Operating System icons here.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You should have an advantage named "Natural attacks". Open it, open the natural weapons tab, select the attack you want to modify, and then change the Damage dropdown to blank. You can then manually set the damage to whatever you want.

This won't automatically update with ST, but it will let GCS show the right numbers. That the dropdown on weapons and the features on attribute bonuses for advantages don't allow applying ST bonus for only one weapon makes me think that GCS doesn't support this.

This is for GCS 4.30. Versioning really matters for that program. As in 4.19 is completely different and has different options.

this link will download an installer.

You want the .msi file from github, and unless you're careful you can end up looking at the library page instead of the program page.

Also, the main site lists the current installers as Operating System icons here.
It is a doable ideia, but I wanted to make racial templates to send to the players what makes it harder to make it that way.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
It is a doable ideia, but I wanted to make racial templates to send to the players what makes it harder to make it that way.

That does make it harder.

If the centaur ST raises kicking damage by a consistent amount, you could add that in as a bonus to kicking damage. I think that would require the ST bonus being a multiple of 8, because that adds exactly one die of damage.

Multiples of 2 don't have rounding issues, but you might need to mentally change 2d+3 into 3d-1.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centaur, extra arms, gcs, split st