Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Cinematic Advantages as Alternate Abilities

I am just curious, is it possible for a character to have cinematic advantages as alternate abilities? For example, could I have a Shaolin monk with Weapon Master (Staff) as an alternate ability of her Trained By a Master?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Cinematic Advantages as Alternate Abilities

Those are really more Unusual Backgrounds than powers but if the GM is fine with it, sure. I allow certain social advantages to be used as alternative abilities such as multiple versions of Rank or Status.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
ravenfish

I would allow it- the advantages have so much overlap that even a substantial discount shouldn't cause any particular unbalance. Note that, by Rules as Written, he would need to spend a ready maneuver to switch between the two (both abilities enhance attacks, but neither is an attack in the sense that Innate Attack or Affliction are), and, when in Weapon Master mode, he wouldn't be able to use skills that have Trained by a Master and not Weapon Master as a prerequisite. A generous GM could probably wave these drawbacks without serious balance issues- as I said, these are two heavily overlapping advantages.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Those are really more Unusual Backgrounds than powers but if the GM is fine with it, sure. I allow certain social advantages to be used as alternative abilities such as multiple versions of Rank or Status.
there is a portion of those abilities that are unusual background, but they also do a lot. Chris Rice wrote an article on breaking down those advantages (and building new ones out of the pieces) back in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I would allow it- the advantages have so much overlap that even a substantial discount shouldn't cause any particular unbalance. Note that, by Rules as Written, he would need to spend a ready maneuver to switch between the two (both abilities enhance attacks, but neither is an attack in the sense that Innate Attack or Affliction are), and, when in Weapon Master mode, he wouldn't be able to use skills that have Trained by a Master and not Weapon Master as a prerequisite. A generous GM could probably wave these drawbacks without serious balance issues- as I said, these are two heavily overlapping advantages.
I agree. Those two are so functionally similar, I see no problem in waving the time requirement.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
there is a portion of those abilities that are unusual background, but they also do a lot. Chris Rice wrote an article on breaking down those advantages (and building new ones out of the pieces) back in 2014.
I'm a little skeptical of abilities that cost 0 points.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I'm a little skeptical of abilities that cost 0 points.

Gurps has a long tradition of charging/giving back 0 points for "permission traits". Taboo trait [0] is the biggest example of this. You don't get points until whole categories are involved.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I am just curious, is it possible for a character to have cinematic advantages as alternate abilities? For example, could I have a Shaolin monk with Weapon Master (Staff) as an alternate ability of her Trained By a Master?
I would allow it, but Weapon Master and Trained by a Master have some nice synergies.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #8
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would allow it, but Weapon Master and Trained by a Master have some nice synergies.
Would should be lost if AAing them.