Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-26-2023, 10:47 AM   #1
Dr. Beckenstein

Default So I'm starting a cop campaign - any advice?

After finally finishing the Ghost Cartel Campaign for Shadowrun, we are starting a new one.

Our next campaign will be about cops in the 6th world - which is something different than Shadowrun. We will use Shadowrun 5, and the rules will be no problem.

So, has anybody run a cop campaign (not necessarily Shadowrun or Cyberpunk) and can give some advice what to do and what to avoid? Unexpected problems that were encountered?

And yes, I know Gurps Mysteries. And Gurps Cops. And Gurps SWAT. And the Cop-Sourcebook for Cyberpunk 2020. Not to mention more than 40 years of mysteries in book, TV and other forms.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:22 AM   #2
DeadParrot

Default Re: So I'm starting a cop campaign - any advice?

Given the current real life debates over law enforcement, make sure everyone is comfortable with the planned direction of your new game.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #3
dcarson

L.J.Steele in the What are you reading thread in Geek Culture is a lawyer and has posted a number of books that give background information that might be useful. Latest for example
Quote:
Winston & Bonograham, The Riders Come Out at Night -- history of police misconduct in Oakland CA. If you are looking for a model of police as adversary or failed force in need of reform (say Gotham before Gordon), this would be a good source.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
Given the current real life debates over law enforcement, make sure everyone is comfortable with the planned direction of your new game.
Also probably a good idea to make sure that all the players are at least somewhat OK with each of the other players' concept of what the police are, because that can cause a mess that you don't want at your table.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:12 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

I ran a reasonably successful police campaign in a fantasy city. The trick was to build cases round crimes that can't happen or aren't meaningful in the real world.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:11 AM   #6
The Colonel

There was a WoD Copping supplement as well ... Precinct 13 or something similar. NWoD IIRC, between the meta of the old WoD and the years when things turned weird so might be useful.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:43 AM   #7
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Also probably a good idea to make sure that all the players are at least somewhat OK with each of the other players' concept of what the police are, because that can cause a mess that you don't want at your table.
Also, and this goes for any campaign, make sure everyone is aware of what subset of the genre you have in mind. Even if everyone is 100% on board with a police campaign, if one person shows up with Dirty Harry, another Joe Friday, and a third Fish, you've got problems ahead.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:28 PM   #8
L.J.Steele

Humbly, GURPS: Cops (a bit dated I fear, written not long after 9/11 as I recall); GURPS: Mysteries is a bit more general on the genre; Gumshoe: Mutant City Blues has some interesting ideas too.

I'll glance over my shelves and see what else I have for reference stuff.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:29 PM   #9
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Also, and this goes for any campaign, make sure everyone is aware of what subset of the genre you have in mind. Even if everyone is 100% on board with a police campaign, if one person shows up with Dirty Harry, another Joe Friday, and a third Fish, you've got problems ahead.
I'd watch at least a couple episodes of that mash-up. Can Fox Mulder make a guest shot or two?
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
Dr. Beckenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
I'd watch at least a couple episodes of that mash-up. Can Fox Mulder make a guest shot or two?
Maybe as a kitsune.

Tags
cops, running campaigns