Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-12-2023, 12:47 AM   #1
GambitDeclined

Default Possible Prerequisite Bug

I am attempting to add the Autoteleport skill to my character sheet. GCA reports that I need to add either:
  • POWER: Teleportation or
  • POWER: Teleportation (Autoteleport only)

However, if I try to add either of these powers from the Advantages section, GCA reports that I also need the SK: Autoteleport. Kind of circular.

I have only tired the Psionic powers and skills, but I am encountering the same issue with all of them.

Please let me know if this is simply an operator error on my part or if I have indeed uncovered a bug. Thank you.

GCA5 v=5.0.209.0
GCA5Engine, v=5.0.209.0
GCA5.Interface v=1.0.0.27
GambitDeclined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Possible Prerequisite Bug

I'm not sure what you're seeing. Are you maybe loading the 3rd Edition files?

Here's what I just did, and I don't see that issue:

1) I picked New, Choosing Library... from the File menu.

2) In the Manage Your Library window that pops up, I select my psionics.gds library, which includes these files:

GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.-Characters.gdf
GURPS Powers 4e.gdf
GURPS Psionic Powers 4e.gdf

3) I click OK to create the character using that library. (You can create that library in the dialog and then use it with the new character when you click OK.)

4) I go to the Advantages list.

5) I double-click Autoteleport (Psi) to add it to the character. GCA auto-adds the Autoteleport skill also. No prereq flags are set.

If you have auto-add turned off, or if you change the Autoteleport skill to 0 points, the P prereq flag for the Autoteleport (Psi) power will display. In that case, you just manually add the Autotelport skill, or set it to 1 point or more, and the P flag goes away.

As far as I can see, in the 4th Edition files none of the Psi skills have prereqs for the powers that they work with; only the advantages/powers have prereqs for the skills.

It works the same way for every power/skill combo that I looked at.

I'm also not sure how you're seeing the 'still needs' report show POWER: in it, as that should show AD:.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:24 AM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Looks like quite a few 3e data files use the prefix tag POWER: in various psi skills to refer to Psionic Power traits, instead of PO:
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-12-2023 at 11:28 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:49 AM   #4
GambitDeclined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I reexamined the library and found that the "Traveller" book was version 3 and not "Traveller: Interstellar War" as I had initially assumed. Removing this book appears to have resolved the issue.

It was operator error after all.

I have a separate issue. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled GCA and only have the basic book in my library. Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by GambitDeclined; 02-12-2023 at 12:18 PM.
GambitDeclined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:42 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Looks like quite a few 3e data files use the prefix tag POWER: in various psi skills to refer to Psionic Power traits, instead of PO:
Ah, right. I'd forgotten that was done a lot at one point. Pretty sure that still works as an alias for PO: and AD:, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GambitDeclined View Post
I reexamined the library and found that the "Traveller" book was version 3 and not "Traveller: Interstellar War" as I had initially assumed. Removing this book appears to have resolved the issue.

It was operator error after all.
Glad that's fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GambitDeclined View Post
I have a separate issue. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled GCA and only have the basic book in my library. Any advice?

Thanks for the help.
GCA comes with a whole bunch of book files, and they're installed during the setup process. When you do a Check for Updates, GCA will also check to be sure you're up to date, and if you let it update anything it says needs updates, you should continue to have all the files.

Maybe you're just not seeing the files?

Open the Manage Your Library dialog. (Either the toolbar button or the option on the File menu.)

There should be three panes visible, as shown in the User Guide p. 75. The bottom pane may not be visible. Click on a library, such as default.gds. Once you click on it, the files it includes will be shown in the center pane, Included Books. You can then click on the Manage Books button. That's a toggle that will show/hide the bottom pane, which is all the books available that GCA can see.

In that bottom pane, you can click on the GURPS Books and User Books buttons to toggle whether those types of books are shown. If the GURPS Books button is On, you should see all the books included with GCA, plus the various folders for things like Variants and Worldbooks.

The file for GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars is in the Worldbooks folder.

More information about the dialog is in the User Guide starting on page 75.

Also, this YouTube video touches on using the Manage Your Library dialog, but not specifically for your exact purpose: How to create a library and start a bard for DFRPG in GCA

Last edited by Armin; 02-12-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote