Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2021, 04:04 AM   #1
scc

Default [Mecha] Stormhawk: Am I Missing Something?

So I'm pulling apart/recreating the Stormhawk design in Mecha to play around with it, and I've noticed something: the legs and the wings are too small, sure they look right at the first glance, the right leg has 141.20 cf of stuff in it, and it's size in the stat block is 155.4 cf, expect the Stormhawk has radical streamlining, meaning that first figure should be multiplied by 1.4 (becoming 197.68) before being compared to the second, similar case with the wings, 50.50 equipment, which becomes 70.7, but the book says 51.8, is this just something that the author and editor missed or is there a missing rule? Because it looks like the author forgot to multiply the equipment volumes of these location before comparing them to their minimums.

On a related note the Stormhawk is very clearly a Macross Valkyrie, what do people think the rough stats for the Zentradi battlepod would be?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

Default Re: [Mecha] Stormhawk: Am I Missing Something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
So I'm pulling apart/recreating the Stormhawk design in Mecha to play around with it, and I've noticed something: the legs and the wings are too small, sure they look right at the first glance, the right leg has 141.20 cf of stuff in it, and it's size in the stat block is 155.4 cf, expect the Stormhawk has radical streamlining, meaning that first figure should be multiplied by 1.4 (becoming 197.68) before being compared to the second, similar case with the wings, 50.50 equipment, which becomes 70.7, but the book says 51.8, is this just something that the author and editor missed or is there a missing rule? Because it looks like the author forgot to multiply the equipment volumes of these location before comparing them to their minimums.
<snip>
Breaking it down by item, both wings have 6.5 cf for a decoy discharger with reloads and 45 cf for a light fuel tank for a total of 51.5 cf/wing. Wing volume is calculated as per Volume of Wings and Wheels (p. M101 Advanced Mecha Construction which is dealing with Transformable Mecha) which states that wing volume is the volume of the components in the wing or 0.1 of the 518 cf body volume (which already has the volume for radical streamlining taken into account when it was calculated, you don't apply radical streamlining twice) which gives the wings a volume of the greater of 51.5 cf or 51.8 cf which would be 51.8 cf.

The legs have the following item breakdown: Leg drivetrain 42 cf (shared as 21 cf/leg); reactionless thruster 9.8 cf (one for each leg); light fuel tank 75 cf (one/leg); and 5 cf (cargo space for right leg; empty space for left leg as both legs must have same volume) for a total volume of 110.8 cf which multiplied by 1.4 for radical streamlining is 155.12 cf which is slightly less than the listed 155.4 cf. However the legs must total 0.6 of the 518 cf body volume which is 310.8 cf or 155.4 cf/leg meaning that there is an additional 0.28 cf of empty space/leg (after accounting for radical streamlining) or 0.2 cf of empty space/leg before applying radical streamlining.

So, no, there is neither a missed calculation, a missing rule nor a forgotten multiplication.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-27-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
Rolando

As Curmudgeon says, streamlining affect body volume, everything else related to it is therefore affected already.

About the Pods, I think the Deathstriker may be a good equivalent for game purposes, for a cheap grunt enemy that must attack in large numbers to be effective. But to make a real Zentraedi Battle Pod you will need to guesstimate the volume and weight (I think that can be somewhere in the internet). And then add some armor and guns to an otherwise grunt mecha.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
scc

I see what I'm missing now, the volume modifier only applies to the body.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I see what I'm missing now, the volume modifier only applies to the body.
No, the modifier doesn't apply a second time to the wings, and wouldn't to wheels either, as both are capped by the body volume which already has the streamlining factored in.

It still applies to things like turrets, legs and arms. However, you had the components within the right leg totaling 141.2 cf before streamlining, whereas the actual volume of the components within the right leg is 110.8 cf before streamlining.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:12 AM   #6
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No, the modifier doesn't apply a second time to the wings, and wouldn't to wheels either, as both are capped by the body volume which already has the streamlining factored in.
When did Wheels enter into this? But for both Legs and Wings the Body derived volume is a minimum, not the final size, other wise you could pack twice the amount of stuff into them then should fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It still applies to things like turrets, legs and arms. However, you had the components within the right leg totaling 141.2 cf before streamlining, whereas the actual volume of the components within the right leg is 110.8 cf before streamlining.
No, I checked both Mecha and Vehicles, streamlining volume modifiers apply ONLY to the body and not any other sub-assemblies. It's weird, I know, but those are the rules.

Of course now my re-construction is running into other problems, it's 230 pounds to heavy dry and about $150M cheaper then it should be.