Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-06-2024, 12:05 PM   #1
horowits

Default Nuisance: Stirge (Strix)

I am trying to come up with a stirge (mosquito bat fiend) for a nuisance to attach to a player and suck blood. Does anyone have a version they use or any suggestions?

My rough idea is
ST:1 - 6 DX:11 IQ:6 MA:20 (Flying)
-4 to hit in air
1 hit on attach, ignores armor
1 hit each following turn, ignores armor
If attacking stirge attached to an adjacent character and you miss, "roll to miss" player
Stirges stack 2/hex as per rats. After 2 are attached the others will lie in wait for their turn to feed.

I'm not sure if a character should have to drop their ready weapon and get a dagger or punch it off. If using something like a torch, should the character take a portion of the hits?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!
horowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:38 PM   #2
timm meyers

Default Re: Nuisance: Stirge (Strix)

Why not make the armor become a -DX modifier for the Stirge to "attach".
Then 1 hit as you described on each turn w no armor protection.

Everything else looks great to me, nice balance with limit of 2 per target hex.
I like the idea that only small weapons or bare hands could be used to remove them. You could make things easier by just stating that the PC could use a dagger or fists at full damage to remove them while other weapons must be pulled blows (1/2 damage) or simply reduced to 1d-1 dagger like damage because they can only smash with the sword pommel or axe haft etc.

Does the target get +4 DX for HtH when trying to remove them?
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 06:25 PM   #3
horowits

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
Why not make the armor become a -DX modifier for the Stirge to "attach".
Then 1 hit as you described on each turn w no armor protection.
That's a good idea!

Quote:
You could make things easier by just stating that the PC could use a dagger or fists at full damage to remove them while other weapons must be pulled blows (1/2 damage) or simply reduced to 1d-1 dagger like damage because they can only smash with the sword pommel or axe haft etc.
That's just the thing I was looking for, thanks! I'll probably rule pommel/haft smashes are 1d-1 to keep it easy for me.

Quote:
Does the target get +4 DX for HtH when trying to remove them?
I will use the +4 DX for HtH. If it takes all the nuisance out of the encounter then I'll reevaluate.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:06 PM   #4
Shostak

The Stirge does a nice job of buffing the Vampire Bat, hitting a bit more frequently, and bypassing armor instead of stacking against armor.

How long does a Stirge stay attached to inflict damage? It would be hard to see how a tiny bloodsucker would continue drinking after taking one hit's worth of blood. Do they inflict one per their ST and then fly off?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:16 PM   #5
horowits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
How long does a Stirge stay attached to inflict damage? It would be hard to see how a tiny bloodsucker would continue drinking after taking one hit's worth of blood. Do they inflict one per their ST and then fly off?
I think 2, maybe 3, hits max. A hit from getting stung and a little stress from needing to get it off to prevent further hits. I was considering giving it more than 1 ST so it could potentially survive that one strike to finish drinking and fly off. I wouldn't want a single Stirge capable of seriously injuring a character all by it's lonesome.

Thank you for your input!