Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
benz72

Default Do allies earn CP?

Does anyone have a good houserule for how much / how oftern CP get earned by allies that are part of adventures?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Do allies earn CP?

Allies do not "earn CP" - they stay whatever fraction of the PCs point total the PC bought them at.

Or if you prefer, they earn a fraction of CP, based on the fraction of the PCs point total. If the ally is 50% of the PCs point total, they earn 50% CP.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Allies do not "earn CP" - they stay whatever fraction of the PCs point total the PC bought them at.

Or if you prefer, they earn a fraction of CP, based on the fraction of the PCs point total. If the ally is 50% of the PCs point total, they earn 50% CP.
Aren't these the same thing?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not strictly. Training increases skills, you can get non CP awards of advantages written directly on your character sheet (getting knighted, buying cyberwear), get turned into something with a higher value racial template...

Or on the other claw your point total can go DOWN because you've lost a limb or something, and you might end up owing the GM points because your Ally is now worth more than what you paid for. Or something... unfortunate happens to your Ally to keep them proportionate, although I'd reserve that for when you can come up with something that doesn't strain disbelief.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

Quote:
Not strictly. Training increases skills, you can get non CP awards of advantages written directly on your character sheet (getting knighted, buying cyberwear), get turned into something with a higher value racial template...

Or on the other claw your point total can go DOWN because you've lost a limb or something, and you might end up owing the GM points because your Ally is now worth more than what you paid for. Or something... unfortunate happens to your Ally to keep them proportionate, although I'd reserve that for when you can come up with something that doesn't strain disbelief.
Plus burning points on success and other options that reduce your earned CP.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
I've never liked your actual point total going down with things like that, it's just you are worth less than you look because (frex) you lost a leg. It shouldn't cost points to replace that leg, right?

But, yes, the ally should stay around the same percentage you bought them at. Your ally that is worth 50% of you will always be 50% of you. Mind, I love the idea of spending points on your Ally advantage, indirectly giving huge chunks of points to your ally (which I've seen a player do because they wanted to train their ally to get as good as them in about a week's worth of time).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
RyanW

This all raises the question: How should Allies (and Dependents and Enemies) be handled in a game that uses the "mutable point totals" option?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I've never liked your actual point total going down with things like that, it's just you are worth less than you look because (frex) you lost a leg. It shouldn't cost points to replace that leg, right?
Yeah, thats one thing I never liked about default GURPS. Advantages and disadvantages shouldn't have a meta-game component. Also the way its written if you fix a disadvantage acquired in play, in-play you need to pay points for it. Character loses an eye. Mage fixes him up. Whoops! He is now 15+ points in debt.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Yeah, thats one thing I never liked about default GURPS. Advantages and disadvantages shouldn't have a meta-game component. Also the way its written if you fix a disadvantage acquired in play, in-play you need to pay points for it. Character loses an eye. Mage fixes him up. Whoops! He is now 15+ points in debt.
That's not at all true. See the box on p B293 and the options on p B295.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
This all raises the question: How should Allies (and Dependents and Enemies) be handled in a game that uses the "mutable point totals" option?
But that seems completely straightforward. Your character is built on 150 points; you buy them an Ally worth 75 points, spending 6 points out of your 150 to do so. Now you acquire a new disadvantage worth -25 points. You don't cut your Ally down to 62 points, because your Ally has not changed! Rather, you keep the Ally worth 75 points, which is now more than 50%, raising their cost to 9 points, a 3-point cost increase. Your net change is a 25-point decrease and a 3-point increase, or -22 points.

You are built on 128 points; half of that is 64 points, and your Ally is worth more than that, but less than three-fourths, or 96 points.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
allies, character points