Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
Tinman

Default Re: GURPS BattleTech, working out heatsinks and the effects of heat buildup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well here is a simple idea to simulate the concept.
Heat Exchanger: Regeneration (Fast, ER only) [50].
Energy Reserve (Heat Sinks) [3/level].

Assuming 1 minute combat rounds for vehicle combat, go with Regeneration (Very Fast) [100] if you want second by second combat.

That gives you a powers build, use Metatronic Generators to convert that to a $$ figure if desired or just make something up.
Using the fatigue rules was exactly what I thought when I saw the OP's question. It's how I'd do it.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #12
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS BattleTech, working out heatsinks and the effects of heat buildup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
There are going toi be some problems such as ammuntion using weapons still ahving heat costs too.

The big issue I see is balancing things so that "Mechs that were notorious overheaters in the original material do the same (and to the same extent) in your conversion.
Well perfect conversions are usually exercises in frustration. But for covering that, especially thigs that generated more heat you can add more Costs FP.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Why are we trying to build vehicles as characters, here?

I'd go for a relatively direct port, probably. Mechs are vehicles, and they have an additional meter for heat accumulation. You can have them gain and lose heat exactly the same ways as in the source material, and translate over the consequences of high heat. (Reduced Handling, rolls against modified HT to not explode, etc.)

It doesn't seem hard to do that in a generally faithful way.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:21 AM   #14
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That's from the novels and involves the "Triple Strength Myomer" that Hanse Davion snookered the Liaos with beofre the 3039 war.

Rules for this were eventualy brought into the game books but only one of the special heroes had a special mech fitted with TSM.
I'm almost sure I remember some of the mechs on the tabletop having some beneficial heat effects, though I also know think I remember that being dark age stuff and I don't need to worry about anything that far down the timeline.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:26 AM   #15
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well here is a simple idea to simulate the concept.
Heat Exchanger: Regeneration (Fast, ER only) [50].
Energy Reserve (Heat Sinks) [3/level].

Assuming 1 minute combat rounds for vehicle combat, go with Regeneration (Very Fast) [100] if you want second by second combat.

That gives you a powers build, use Metatronic Generators to convert that to a $$ figure if desired or just make something up.
Going with 60 second or 1 second turns is another thing I'm trying to decide on. I mean, it won't be to unusual for infantry and elementals (Clan power armored genetically modified super infantry) to be running around the battlefield, and also going purely by the lore established by the novels mech a surprisingly (Impossibly) nimble and agile for their size and pilots consistently maneuver and react to things split second.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Going with 60 second or 1 second turns is another thing I'm trying to decide on. I mean, it won't be to unusual for infantry and elementals (Clan power armored genetically modified super infantry) to be running around the battlefield, and also going purely by the lore established by the novels mech a surprisingly (Impossibly) nimble and agile for their size and pilots consistently maneuver and react to things split second.
Mech hand-to-hand combat is a significant setting element. First-person real-time mech piloting games are one of the more prominent elements of the franchise. Mech combat seems no less well suited to second-by-second resolution than personal combat.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #17
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Mech hand-to-hand combat is a significant setting element. First-person real-time mech piloting games are one of the more prominent elements of the franchise. Mech combat seems no less well suited to second-by-second resolution than personal combat.
Ya, I think that's what I'm gonna go with.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:54 PM   #18
Kfireblade

So I'm thinking a thermal point system where all heat building weapons have a TP score and that's how many TP they generate when firing, heat transferring weapons also build TP when used against any mech they hit. How fast a mech bleeds TP will depend on amount of heat sinks in the mech. When Mechs reach a designated TP threshold they make an HT roll every time they gain more heat, with failure causing overheating effects. At twice the threshold the HT roll is at -2, overheating effects more severe, and the computer starts blasting warnings. At three times rolls are at -4, effects extremely severe, and automatic shutdown has to be manually overridden. At four times the threshold the rolls at -6, any additional heat build up requires more rolls, the overheating effect are crippling, and any critical failure will cause the reactor to begin meltdown and the emergency containment protocols to go off leaving the mech none functional until repair, on an 18 the reactor will just blow up.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:07 AM   #19
cosmicfish

One thing this thread has made clear is that Vehicles 3e (4e?) should include thermal management. It isn't just Battletech, every modern vehicle has and needs a cooling system - easiest way to take out a car is put a bullet through the radiator, and modern spacecraft have massive heat issues.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:32 AM   #20
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Short answer:
Use BattleTech for the basic mechanics. Swap the signs of the penalties and just use GURPS characters. It works. Been doing it that way for years.

Beyond that, take a look at MechWarrior: Destiny for some inspiration.
Divide heat sinks by, say 5.
Divide weapon heat by, say 3.
Take every 4th entry on the Heat table.

It'll make heat more manageable, and more interesting for a game.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battletech, heatsinsk, mechwarrior