Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
Snaps

Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Leech specifies that to work without touch, you need both Malediction and Ranged (Which can be traded for Area Effect).
Technically is says that it requires Malediction to work at a distance. What he is trying to model is really a melee attack with some reach. I personally wouldn't require Malediction for that (there are too many examples in fiction of things that only need to touch or hit a victim to drain life from them, without the victim getting an additional resistance roll. Stormbringer is probably the easiest example I can think of).

I still think the Aura enhancement is what the OP really wants. I'm just not sure if its legal to give an Aura a reach of 2. (But I guess you could always use Cosmic +50% to get around the "must take melee, -30% reach C," part of Aura. But is this actually needed?)
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #32
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Isn't that what Area Effect does?
No.

Are you making a joke?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Technically is says that it requires Malediction to work at a distance. What he is trying to model is really a melee attack with some reach. I personally wouldn't require Malediction for that (there are too many examples in fiction of things that only need to touch or hit a victim to drain life from them, without the victim getting an additional resistance roll. Stormbringer is probably the easiest example I can think of).

I still think the Aura enhancement is what the OP really wants. I'm just not sure if its legal to give an Aura a reach of 2. (But I guess you could always use Cosmic +50% to get around the "must take melee, -30% reach C," part of Aura. But is this actually needed?)
Regardless, were talking about more than the OP, which confuses me that Area Effect would be involved at all.

All you really need is...

Leech (Cosmic, carried by any attack, +50%; Reduced Time, +20%)
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Are you making a joke?
No. With Area Effect everything in the area suffers the attack’s damage or other effects. That's what it does.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #35
Jerander

Quote:
No. With Area Effect everything in the area suffers the attack’s damage or other effects. That's what it does.
But with Leech you'd also need to grapple everyone in the area that you want to affect. Otherwise Malediction.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
But with Leech you'd also need to grapple everyone in the area that you want to affect. Otherwise Malediction.
You don't need to grapple them you need to maintain ongoing contact with them, remaining in your area of effect for a full turn would seem to qualify.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Leech cannot affect anyone you are not grappling unless you add modifiers. Modifiers that let you do this include Area Effect and Ranged. Malediction is, uniquely, a prerequisite for such things in the specific case of Leech. Taking Area Effect or Ranged alone simply isn't an option – that's just how Leech is. What Malediction does is fairly price the "no grapple" angle by assessing a range-based modifier for not doing that. After that, Ranged can project the ability at a distance while Area Effect can surround you with it. The range penalty is still distance-based . . . if your Area Effect gives you, say, an eight-yard circle, then Malediction 1 is at from 0 to -8, depending on where the target is in that circle.

Area Effect is very often dependent on enablers. For instance, you can't just slap it on Damage Resistance to create a force field; you need Affects Others and Force Field first. Likewise, you can't take it on Flight to benefit friends; you need Affects Others first.

Most zero-range abilities likewise require Ranged before allowing things that modify ranged attacks. For instance, you cannot add any ranged-combat modifiers to Illusion or Obscure until you've bought Ranged.

This is simply an odd case where the enabler of Area Effect and Ranged is Malediction.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #38
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Leech cannot affect anyone you are not grappling unless you add modifiers. Modifiers that let you do this include Area Effect and Ranged. Malediction is, uniquely, a prerequisite for such things in the specific case of Leech. Taking Area Effect or Ranged alone simply isn't an option – that's just how Leech is. What Malediction does is fairly price the "no grapple" angle by assessing a range-based modifier for not doing that. After that, Ranged can project the ability at a distance while Area Effect can surround you with it. The range penalty is still distance-based . . . if your Area Effect gives you, say, an eight-yard circle, then Malediction 1 is at from 0 to -8, depending on where the target is in that circle.

Area Effect is very often dependent on enablers. For instance, you can't just slap it on Damage Resistance to create a force field; you need Affects Others and Force Field first. Likewise, you can't take it on Flight to benefit friends; you need Affects Others first.

Most zero-range abilities likewise require Ranged before allowing things that modify ranged attacks. For instance, you cannot add any ranged-combat modifiers to Illusion or Obscure until you've bought Ranged.

This is simply an odd case where the enabler of Area Effect and Ranged is Malediction.
Isn't Malediction rather overpriced as an enabler for Leech? When you make Leech ranged it really doesn't compare well as a method for doing damage or for healing. Alos why mandate that Leech must grant a resistance roll? You can build Area Effect Innate Attacks that ignore DR and have no resistance roll, why must Leech have one?

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 05-06-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #39
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Isn't Malediction rather overpriced as an enabler for Leech? When you make Leech ranged it really doesn't compare well as a method for doing damage or for healing. Alos why mandate that Leech must grant a resistance roll? You can build Area Effect Innate Attacks that ignore DR and have no resistance roll, why must Leech have one?
Its' called the hybrid tax. Something that GURPS has delightfully few instances of.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #40
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Its' called the hybrid tax. Something that GURPS has delightfully few instances of.
"hybrid tax"?

Tags
area of effect, auras of power, leech, malediction, multiple victims, ranged