Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
JLV

Default In My Perfect TFT...

Per a discussion on another thread, Steve Jackson suggested that we discuss what kinds of future products we might be interested in for TFT.

Suggestions that Steve already has on board (and that I'm pretty sure he already has on his plate as possible future products) include a Bestiary, and probably some kind of Cidri splat book, so I don't think we need to make those suggestions again.

What I think he's hoping for are something more than just general ideas. What I think he wants from us at this point are specific suggestions.

To that end, I'll start it off with three I've already made elsewhere:

Mass Combat (possibly including Siege Combat); either as a splat book or as a game (that would provide counters and maybe a generic map or two of a battlefield and hopefully a walled city). What I have in mind is something that would be a TFT version of a classic wargame like Centurion or Spartan, and maybe a siege battle like Gondor from the old SPI company, only on a mini-game format (such as Gondor was). Ideally it should relate to the other two types of combat listed below. For example, the units you could purchase to man the ships in Ramspeed provided an interesting concept that could be used in a land mass combat game (you could buy various types of land combat units and siege machines to put on your ships).

Water Combat (ship to ship, fleet, and underwater -- if a game, something like an expanded Ramspeed, see also above...) Underwater is a little more difficult, especially for mass combat, but maybe someone has a bright idea on how to approach that?

Aerial Combat (both individual/small group, and mass combat). No one has ever really done this well as far as I know for individual combat (most aerial combat games involve jet fighters and are way too complex for what we want), so I don't have any good examples to offer -- maybe someone else does? As far as the mass combat version goes, some sort of subroutine similar to what was used in Flashpoint: Korea or Frank Chadwick's old Third World War game might be a useful model, but again, I don't know for sure.

Those are three off the top. I know that Steve has mentioned he's interested in GM-run adventures (not just solitaire games) and settings (and I don't think the settings need necessarily be confined to Cidri -- he'd probably like a well done "Ancient Rome" or "Viking" setting too, if someone could offer him one).

So what ideas do YOU have? Let's share them and see if we can pique some interest by Steve in some of them! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote