Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Wavefunction

Default Amplifying Penalties to Detection

Looking for a few ideas on how to build an ability that essentially doubles all penalties to detect the individual who possesses the ability.

For instance, if observers have a -5 to vision rolls to see most things due to darkness penalties, they have a -10 to see this individual. The same is true for penalties to scent, hearing, divination, etc...

Also, does anyone know of a good resource for what kind of penalties a smell roll might take for things other than distance (i.e. cleanliness)?
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: Amplifying Penalties to Detection

I'm thinking Obscure, with Environmental.

I'd be tempted to just try to price the situational scaling effect within the savings you assign to the Environmental mod.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
Wavefunction

Default Re: Amplifying Penalties to Detection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I'm thinking Obscure, with Environmental.

I'd be tempted to just try to price the situational scaling effect within the savings you assign to the Environmental mod.
I think you're probably right. With regards to the limitation, this might be an situation for the rules for a variable Limitation, they're only really discussed with Costs FP, but they should give a fair ballpark price for this. Which means I need to figure out the cost of Accessibility, Only when taking a -1 or more to be detected, -??%, and Accessibility, Only when taking a -10 or more to be detected, -??%. Since these are at opposite ends of the rarity spectrum I'm tempted to go -5% and -80% respectively, which means Environmental, Scales with penalties to detection, is (-5%+-80%)/2=42.5%, which I'd round to -40%. But what do you guys think?

Also, how many levels of Obscure would be necessary for situational undetectability, 5 or 10? When the full 5 levels is active the total modifier would be -10, but only -5 would be contributed by Obscure. I'm therefore inclined to say 10 levels would be necessary, but that seems a bit too expensive.

Finally, how would you price Obscure (Everything), I know I could just think of every type of detection they could possibly encounter, and give the character every necessary form of Obscure, but that seems rather excessive. I'm thinking 10 points/level for Obscure (Everything) seems fair.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote