Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Anders

Default New Disadvantage: Fascination

You are fascinated by something - fire, a melody, a smell or something else. When confronted with the subject of your fascination, you will stand still and just watch (or listen, etc.) it. Treat this as being Dazed (p.B428), although you get a self-control roll to avoid this. You are incapacitated for 1d minutes unless you are attacked, slapped, etc. Once you've woken up you are immune to your fascination for 10 minutes.

Base value is as follows:
Rare: -15 points
Occasional: -30 points
Common: -45 points

This may seems like an excess, but in combat it is equivalent to everyone getting to make a Targeted All-Out Attack on you.

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: New Disadvantage: Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You are fascinated by something - fire, a melody, a smell or something else. When confronted with the subject of your fascination, you will stand still and just watch (or listen, etc.) it. Treat this as being Dazed (p.B428), although you get a self-control roll to avoid this. You are incapacitated for 1d minutes unless you are attacked, slapped, etc. Once you've woken up you are immune to your fascination for 10 minutes.

Base value is as follows:
Rare: -15 points
Occasional: -30 points
Common: -45 points

This may seems like an excess, but in combat it is equivalent to everyone getting to make a Targeted All-Out Attack on you.

Thoughts?
It's equivalent to one combatant getting to make a Telegraphic All-Out Attack on you... if one of your buddies doesn't shake you first. I'd be tempted to use the same price as an appropriate Phobia, including suffering penalties while near the object of your fascination, but instead of making a roll on the Fright table you are simply dazed (or better yet, if you have an Awe equivalent of the Fright table, roll on that instead).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
gilbertocarlos

Wow, suddenly pyromania is worth a heck lot of points.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
gilbertocarlos

I'd be fine with -5*, -10* or -15* points, otherwise, someone can get 90 points(common at 6) for something with is so many times smaller than cursed.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It's equivalent to one combatant getting to make a Telegraphic All-Out Attack on you... if one of your buddies doesn't shake you first. I'd be tempted to use the same price as an appropriate Phobia, including suffering penalties while near the object of your fascination, but instead of making a roll on the Fright table you are simply dazed (or better yet, if you have an Awe equivalent of the Fright table, roll on that instead).
I definitely like this idea better. It's definitely not something I think about, but it would be a good match for Phobia, and it could be a good branch off of Obsession.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
aesir23

I'd base it on Flashbacks--more specific trigger, easier end condition, but similar effects.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new disadvantage, rules