Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #21
beetle496

Default Re: Car Wars Storage Tips

I think the weapon placement is more interesting and less subject to AP than choosing cards for a match. If I am correct about that, then random assignment of cards from the Core set seems like a nice intermediary step. It’s still a teachable moment, because (1) it illustrates how the BP limit works, and how (2) the build influences play. Both (1) and (2) are present in the PRS games, but they are more tangible when a player has control over how their guns are arranged. This intermediary game also is a good opportunity to point out the common build patterns @HeatDeath lists. The PRS are examples of that as well.

Game after that, use the Core deck (plus maybe the few from PRS) and it’s the full experience (except DW). Free-form picking of cards is a new game mechanic, and as you note, the range of choices can be intimidating (so limiting the choices makes perfect sense) but it’s the only new game mechanic to teach.

So, I think I like this plan. It will be more than a few weeks before I get to try it. Circling back to the main topic, this changes how I will be packing things up. Core cards are coming out of their meeting in binders!

For game two, I will let my friend decide if they want another PRS run, to build from random draws, or build from the Core set.

If, during his first build, my friend asks something like, “Shouldn’t there be a bigger flame thrower in here?” That is a win, and I will dig out an improvised Fire Lance card.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-15-2021 at 06:29 AM. Reason: building -> weapon placement
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #22
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@beetle496
You are now advocating FOR my original suggestion (limited choice using the core set), but with MORE restrictions (BP limits and random draw, rather than free selection), despite limited choice being the whole reason you were opposed to the idea in the first place. I don't really know where else to go from here. I suppose just try whatever is most comfortable for you to teach and see how it goes? The most important thing to ME is that you have fun with it!
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:01 AM   #23
Yenaldlooshi

I found this $10 storage case holds all my cards and smaller game pieces perfectly for transport. I am looking at something else for the dashboards and rules. These would work well with the mini's too so I got two cases. One for game parts and one for minis once I pain them. :)

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-bin...ase-93928.html
Yenaldlooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:18 AM   #24
beetle496

@Sam_Mitschke – I hope this dialog is as helpful to others as it has been for me. You have been very generous with your time. I am all for using fewer cards for the first build, but just have some concern that there might be friction with omitting options from the first couple of games. I should be so lucky as to have a player notice anything missing!

I am hoping to hear from others if they lost anyone at game 3 (or whenever building is introduced). Might an interim game with random draws got a player over that hump? Would the Vehicle Guide help here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenaldlooshi View Post
Looks like it is an exactly perfect fit for twelve cars! If the dividers come out like they look like they might. Do you have this case in hand yet? Is it as heavy as it looks?

Last edited by beetle496; 11-15-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #25
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenaldlooshi View Post
I found this $10 storage case holds all my cards and smaller game pieces perfectly for transport. I am looking at something else for the dashboards and rules. These would work well with the mini's too so I got two cases. One for game parts and one for minis once I pain them. :)

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-bin...ase-93928.html
Here's what I posted on BGG about a similar one from Menards:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...-home-remainde

I don't plan on keeping my vehicles in that particular model. However, they also make a deep-bin version.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/t...2217067&ipos=4

This would probably work well for the vehicles IF you put some sort of foam or shock absorbing material to ensure the vehicles did not rattle around. You might be able to get four vehicles in the deeper bins (two layers of two cars each) but for sure you could get two per bin.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:48 AM   #26
Yenaldlooshi

Here are some photos. One case can hold all cards and parts (I think, I don't have the cards from #2 and #4 yet but there is still room). Another case of the same can hold 24 cars if 20 of the cars don't mind doubling up with another car and you remove the small quarter sized bins near the handle.

I am not sure if the single bins that hold just one car can be found separately but you can get more of those bins if you buy more cases and trade the bins between cases using what you want where. I am sure most of us have tons of screws and hardware that we can use the extra cases and bins for. I don't have an issue with 2 cars sharing though. The cars will not fit in the little small bins near the handle though. Maybe SG will put out a motorcycle expansion for those? :D

Here are pix I took of both my car case and my parts case:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtmPthDkIXkLiYhp...uw5Vw?e=qYZZb2

Last edited by Yenaldlooshi; 11-15-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #27
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@beetle496
I love seeing you and others enjoying the game, and I'm happy to share my time and thoughts with you!

I still don't think random draws are a good way to teach the game because you could inadvertently force a player to use a build they enjoy less than their first game. Since they had no real input in the equipment, they'll just feel shafted by the card draw, rather than understanding the strategy that goes into car building ("You just drew better cards than me.").

If they build their OWN car, the game provides immediate feedback about their build decisions AND they'll become quickly obsessed with making improvements. You can give them the option of restarting to let them test and revise their emerging build ideas. This is how to create a player that thinks about the game even when you AREN'T playing...which makes them eager to play over and over again.

Once all players have a good grasp of the strategy that goes into car building, THEN a random draw game can be absolutely awesome.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #28
Yenaldlooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Here's what I posted on BGG about a similar one from Menards:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...-home-remainde

I don't plan on keeping my vehicles in that particular model. However, they also make a deep-bin version.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/t...2217067&ipos=4

This would probably work well for the vehicles IF you put some sort of foam or shock absorbing material to ensure the vehicles did not rattle around. You might be able to get four vehicles in the deeper bins (two layers of two cars each) but for sure you could get two per bin.
Yep, that is basically the exact same case with different colors. Probably made in the same factory in China. Just the Menards one costs a little more money! lol.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:01 AM   #29
beetle496

Thanks for the photos @Yenaldlooshi! Seems like an excellent fit for 24 painted miniatures, after combining bins from another case, as you note.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #30
Diehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
That’s very handsome @Diehard! Are you getting those all into (mostly) just the core box?
Yes, I can fit all the double ace stuff with room to spare. It may not hold every car they ever produce but really, as long as it fits 4 to 8 cars you have everything you need for the game in one box. I am working on a smaller, essential box for when I play at a friend's house or conventions. That box will hold just 2 cars, 2 decks of cards, tokens, dice, and gauges. Think of it like the old cassette case sets perfect for a quick game at the FLGS.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote