Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #31
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Default Re: Paper tires and infinite range

As we have touched on in other threads, sidearms are no joke. And you will FEEL a well-timed grenade. :)
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #32
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
(And just in case it read poorly, my use of boldface above was not meant to be pissy — it was just to call the rule out clearly.)
Suggestion: In these circumstances, one might include the phrase "emphasis added", so the reader knows for certain. (It's how we were trained to do it in the History classes. :) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #33
HeatDeath

"Infinite range" weapons is more realistic than most people think. The tropes of 80's tactical combat games notwithstanding, a 50 caliber MG has an effective range measured in hundreds of yards - 20 to 60 car lengths, easy.

"Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes" was a Civil War/Napoleonic trope. It was obsolete by WWII, let alone anything more recent.

One of the things I really like about the 6e combat model is that clean misses are about as rare as you'd expect them to be with modern weaponry. Cars are aiming for each other's centers of mass and while hits can be grazing or ineffective, clean misses are actually gonna be pretty rare.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 11-24-2021 at 10:01 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #34
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that rolled shield results are *NOT* defense in the practical sense. You are not blocking incoming fire. A shield is a logical symbol to choose for this purpose (and let us nest the skid symbol winthin it), but it actually represents the attacker having a harder time shooting you.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #35
43Supporter

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind, too, is that rolled shield results are *NOT* defense in the practical sense. You are not blocking incoming fire. A shield is a logical symbol to choose for this purpose (and let us nest the skid symbol winthin it), but it actually represents the attacker having a harder time shooting you.
This is a discussion I've had elsewhere on these fora -- the "story narrative" for what a die-roll is saying. For ex.: In OG CW, failing a TH roll could mean anything from "the round didn't make contact", to "the round hit, but did not detonate". Same with 6E -- a "shield" could mean "no contact", or "failure to detonate", or what-have-one; end result is the same: No damage inflicted.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:39 AM   #36
beetle496

Quote:
This paradigm was conveyed to me, any supports my preference to use blue dice for range regardless. Also, more dice is more fun than re-rolls. But re-rolls are fun too!

I have also been meaning to say that I really like the combat model because it reminds me of GURPS: Attacker rolls their attack; defender rolls their defense.

It actually is doing the GURPS model four steps better refined, because the (1) attacker’s ‘to hit’ is combined with the damage, the (2) defenders block/parry/dodge is combined as well, (3) there are more dice with every roll, and (4) effects are right there on the dice!

I had noticed (and very much exploited) the PD/DR defect with the GURPS 3e combat model, and so I was happy to have that corrected with 4e. But now I wish 4e had been more radical and had something similar to CW 6e combat mechanics! It is brilliant, fast, and fun!

Last edited by beetle496; 11-26-2021 at 07:46 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #37
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@beetle496

That was an unintentional GURPS reference/revision on our part...but that's a very cool observation, and I appreciate the compliment! We were much more focused on "How do we do this different-from-and-maybe-even-better-than X-Wing?" since that was by FAR the system everyone was familiar with at the time.

In my totally unbiased and fair opinion, we succeeded. ;-)
Old 11-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #38
beetle496

Quote:
How do we do this different-from-and-maybe-even-better-than X-Wing?
I have not played that, but I am confident you scored there! My only impressions of X-Wing are via this forum (or maybe the KS discussion), so beating X-Wing seems to me like it might be low-hanging fruit.

That the 6e mechanics might work well for an RPG is kind of insane! Don’t tell Steve!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #39
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

For anyone considering playing with the blue die variation for range re-rolls, check out this thread to see why we didn't do it.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #40
JimTullis

Beetle,
X-Wing is (was*) Great Fun.
It is one of my games I won't sell off completely.
I've loved almost every game I've played of it, even ones I lost horribly.

I'm loving Car Wars too, and one place CW shines is that I'm not stuck with certain builds caused by My attachment to specific ships. ;)

(*many players have dropped off making it harder to get games)
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote