Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #21
beetle496

Default Re: Pre-Orders at Warehouse 23

Thanks for the photo @JimTullis. I do not have Playmat 2, so I cannot try this myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
…But in order to get the "crosswalk" graphics to line up between Mats 1 & 2, Mat 2 has to be shifted down about an inch & a half. The whites on Mat 2 are also way brighter than on either of the other mats.
Keeping Playmat 2 where it is in your photo, try rotating Playmat 1, the parking lot, 180°. I think they will line up, and also that will account for the different whites as well. Also, check out the subtle tire marks!

I had so much difficulty lining up with Playmats 1 and 3, it was kind of ridiculous. Took me like five tries. Thinking about it later though, with two playmats, there are 16 possibilities! From the first playmat, there are four sides to pick. Then the second playmat can be in any of four rotations.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-07-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: phone -> photo
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #22
beetle496

Link added to @JimTullis cite:
Quote:
I tried to make the bottom right three-mat layout from the "Geomorphing" graphic from the June 16th [2020] Daily Illuminator.
Thanks for pointing that out! It is the same image I had found.
Quote:
I lined up the mats in 1-2-3 order with the Logos in the lower right corners as shown on the graphic.
I am not convinced the location of the logo is significant. (Yes, the logos are shown in the illustration. I think you should try other orientations.)
Quote:
Mats 2 & 3 line up ok. But in order to get the "crosswalk" graphics to line up between Mats 1 & 2, Mat 2 has to be shifted down about an inch & a half. The whites on Mat 2 are also way brighter than on either of the other mats.
Mats 1 and 3 line up fine, and the results are consistent with the illustration, but there is only a single orientation which works. From your photo, I see that the pavement oil stains is not aligned either. Keep trying!
Old 11-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #23
Philip Villarreal
Warehouse 23

Pre-Orders closing today, hurry and grab whatever you missed or any extras you think you need (you can never have enough dice)!
Philip Villarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:10 AM   #24
beetle496

Quote:
I'd also like to set up an in person Mat Swap at a con. The registration on my mats is over an inch off, in order to connect the art of either of Mat 2 or 3 to Mat 1 the non-parking-lot Mat needs to be slid about an inch and a half down. The whites on Mat 2 are also very bright compared to the other two, but I could have put up with that. Also, neither 2 nor 3 can be visually connected to the Left side of 1, so I can't build a mat with two sets of roads meeting in a central parking lot.
I am not sure it helps you, but I would be willing to swap my Mat 3 for your Mat 2. It seems to me that Mat 2 has a bit more useable asphalt than Mat 3, and I do not know that I will ever use Mat 3 (unless I got another one). PM if you are interested.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #25
JimTullis

Beetle, thanks for the offer but I don't really need more of Mat 3. I need a Mat 2 that works OR another Mat 1. My plan for BIG games was to put a road mat on each side of the parking lot and do something like the Double Drum scenario where 3 or 4 players start in each dirt side and eventually a smaller number meet in the middle.

The other thing I really need is someone with art skills who can hook me up with some tile-able scale textures. I need Grass, Gravel, and Tarmac (@$$fault). I can then create an Interstate mat that covers just 1 of the folding tables games stores use. The local graphics shop has a special on 3x5 banners for $60. Not neoprene, but still nicer than bare table.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #26
beetle496

Looking a little closer, I think I am incorrect about Map 2 having more asphalt than Map 3.

@JimTullis — I think you can do what you describe, four roads leading into a parking lot, but it will take four (!) play mats.

From your photos, it does seem to me that:
Map 2 -> Map 1 -> Map 1 -> Map 2
will do that. That is a lot of table space though! 3' x 12'

Last edited by beetle496; 11-18-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #27
JimTullis

Beetle,
All the playmats are designed with uneven amounts of crosswalk. If you try to hook two of Mat 1 together with one of them flipped the crosswalks won't line up. I think it was a poor design choice.

[Also, I've never seen a parking lot with crosswalks between each row of cars. Maybe it is a future thing?]
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #28
beetle496

@JimmTullis – If you don’t like the look from flipping one of your two Mat 1s, lay them side-by side as they are designed to meet up. (Or only use one of them.)

From your photos, Mat 2 lines up okay-ish with with Mat 1 (left to right, text for both in bottom right corner) but for the stark difference with the white brightness.

Again from your photos, a Mat 2 rotated 180° set to the left of Mat 1 is not a visual match, but does give you a solid strip of asphalt where they do meet, and the highway segments seem to be straight and of a consistent width. It also provides you the two roads entering the parking lot on that side.