Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
KataH

Default GCA4 - Improvements

Armin
Is it possible to do some improvements to GCA4 since GCA5 looks like it is at best a year or more off?
1. Improvement: Run better on 64bit machines and under Windows 10?
2. Cosmetic improvements such as displaying the Page reference filed along with Skill names, Equipment names, and Traits names? It is such a pain to have to add the item, takes a few seconds, then open\edit the item, takes even more time - just to find out what book and page number this particular item is from. Then have to close the edit screen, then remove the item. Process is cumbersome and slow.
Thanks for your time Armin.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Angel Darkover

Default Re: GCA4 - Improvements

Actually, you can get the page info really easily. Go to the View menu and turn on the View Info Window. This adds an extra pane to the right of the character info. The info window shows you info about whatever is selected, which means that you can get the page reference by just clicking on a trait or skill (or whatever) without even needing to add it to the character, let alone needing to add, open, edit, etc. I have found it more useful on tabs other than quickview, where you are provided a full list of things to peruse.

Hope that helps some of the frustration.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
Armin
Is it possible to do some improvements to GCA4 since GCA5 looks like it is at best a year or more off?
No, I'm afraid there is not.

One of the reasons I'm personally super frustrated about the long delay getting GCA5 done, is that I literally can't create new builds of GCA4. If I could, I would have continued releasing maintenance updates beyond the data only updates we've had the last few times.

And because the modern versions of the tools I have are significantly different from the old ones, there was a huge amount of rewriting that had to be done just to get any sort of baseline version of the old code working. I did that, and that was the basis for 5, onto which I then rewrote even more and added some new stuff. But, basically, there's no practical way I can update 4 as 4.

I am in the process (slowly, but proceeding) of tying off bits and pieces that aren't done, so that I can hopefully get some sort of build of 5 out before we lose yet another year on it. (The core application looks pretty solid, but it'll take a lot of hammering users to find the problems that are likely hiding inside.)

I really don't want to leave users without the new stuff any longer than I have to.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
KataH

Thanks Armin for the explanation and thanks Angel for somethign I should have thought og myself - doh!

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Oxnard

Thanks, Armin, for keeping this going.
I’m teaching my kids to play, and it’s a big help.
Oxnard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca4, improvements, windows 10