Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
FenrisLoki

Default Limitations on skills

I am struggling to find exactly how to recreate a limitation for a character I have.

I want to have the character have Stealth, but only usable in a woodland setting. Specialization makes her better in woodlands and lowers the skill in non settings, but that isn't the effect I'm going for. Same with making a technique. I want it that she'd be rolling at default, as if she didn't have the skill at all, if she's not in the woods.

I saw Dr. Kromm's article in the Alternate GURPS article for turning skills into Advantages, but this seems to make such a skill extremely expensive. It just doesn't then feel like a limited skill use to me. It is almost an Accessibility limitation, but those aren't applied to skills.

Any ideas?
FenrisLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
edk926

Default Re: Limitations on skills

The Silence Advantage is 5 pts/lvl and gives a Stealth bonus vs Hearing. You can put a limitation (Accessibility: Woodlands Only, -40%) on it for 3 pts/lvl. It would cost a bit to go from a default from not having the Stealth skill to a high "default" in Woodland Stealth Only, but it works.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
FenrisLoki

But Stealth also makes you harder to see as well. You'd have to pile on levels of Chameleon. It just doesn't seem like a fair trade.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Donny Brook

Incompetence (Stealth), Mitigator: forest -20% [-1].
Donny Brook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrisLoki View Post
I am struggling to find exactly how to recreate a limitation for a character I have.

I want to have the character have Stealth, but only usable in a woodland setting. Specialization makes her better in woodlands and lowers the skill in non settings, but that isn't the effect I'm going for. Same with making a technique. I want it that she'd be rolling at default, as if she didn't have the skill at all, if she's not in the woods.

I saw Dr. Kromm's article in the Alternate GURPS article for turning skills into Advantages, but this seems to make such a skill extremely expensive. It just doesn't then feel like a limited skill use to me. It is almost an Accessibility limitation, but those aren't applied to skills.

Any ideas?
Just ask the GM if you can use an optional specialization for Stealth. Then specialize by terrain type. So Stealth (Woodlands) becomes an Easy skill.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Just ask the GM if you can use an optional specialization for Stealth. Then specialize by terrain type. So Stealth (Woodlands) becomes an Easy skill.
Ahem:

Quote:
Specialization makes her better in woodlands and lowers the skill in non settings, but that isn't the effect I'm going for.

My Two Cents: Make a Talent, call it Woodland Ranger (or some such) and pile in some skills (Like Bow, Camouflage, Climbing, Survival (Woodlands), Stealth), then make it only cost like half as much as a standard Talent (in this case 3 per level) and only have it apply in the Woodlands. I'd allow for it to be bought up to level 6 or 8 (to more readily differentiate between Stealth (Everywhere) and Stealth (Woods)).

If you also take the Optional Specialty, yes you'll still have Stealth usable everywhere (but you have that at default anyway), but it'll be 6 higher when you're in the Woods (if you take 4 levels of the Talent).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:51 AM   #7
coronatiger

My suggestion:
  1. Learn Stealth with optional speciality (Woodland), making it an Easy skill.
  2. Take this quirk: Regular Stealth can't use the default of Stealth (Woodland) -2.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Specialization ... isn't the effect I'm going for. Same with making a technique. I want it that she'd be rolling at default
So, rolling in the woods at full skill, but at a reduced value outside of woods is unacceptable, but the effect you really want is for the character to roll at full skill in the woods, but against a reduced value outside of woods?

Sorry to be harsh, but you're really splitting an awfully tiny hair over some exact mechanical details. In actual play, the difference isn't going to show, so it won't affect the actual appearance and effect of the concept.

That said, it's easy to get exactly, literally, what you want in terms of mechanics. Don't use the word "specialization", and instead just invent the skill "Woodlands Stealth". It only works in woods. Outside of woods, the character has to roll at default to be sneaky, as long as you don't buy the general Stealth skill. Feel free to make Woodlands Stealth an Easy skill, because it's not as broad as general Stealth.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
FenrisLoki

I think the easy version of the skill is the option I'll go for. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking another existing mechanic.

Tags
limitations, skills