Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Writing on Another World and Personally Painful world jumping [Powers,IW]

I'm building a character for IW who can cause letters to be burned into the ground of another world. The idea is that its a form of (creepy) communication between worlds. To do so he has to draw up a ritual circle on the ground where he is, identify the world he's sending to, and then draw his message. And the medium he has to draw with is his own fresh blood.

I have the basic shape of the ability down. His ability is a form of telecommunication with world spanning on it. What I don't know is as follows:

1) what is an appropriate price for this telecommunication? Is telecommunication the right advantage? It seems closest in effect to what I want: 'you can communicate with others over distance'. It's only real range is world-spanning. It has no security whatsoever, but you don't need any equipment to receive it.

2) should he buy a linked burning attack? it will only be two points, but he does cause damage to the area he effects. I'm just not sure if the attack is targetable enough to actually be useful, and if the damage done is worthy of a point.

3) should having to use his own blood be thought of as part of the base telecommunication, or is it a limitation? The amount of blood he uses is determined by the length of the message. Is there a good way to represent blood loss due to a self inflicted wound for that purpose?

The same character has an adjoining ability that allows him to jump between worlds, but at great personal cost. I need the ability to knock him out of commission for a long time, and to be fairly dangerous to him. Once again, its going to involve painting the ground with his own blood. And himself. This time he's going to need a lot more of it. After he jumps, he'll be in extreme pain for hours.

1) how do you price being in extreme pain after using an advantage. I know about backlash, but this doesn't seem to be a clear use of it.

2) is the amount of blood loss just 'costs hp'?

Any thoughts on appropriate effects for the jumper? I need it to be a secondary effect he really doesn't like to use -- and that even reich-5 would agree makes him more useful for communication then travel.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote