Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2021, 01:42 AM   #1
hal

Default How close can a ship pass to the sun?

Hi All,
For those who wonder or shall ever wonder - how close can a space craft approach the sun and survive - we now have a possible answer:

https://scitechdaily.com/nasas-parke...ng-by-the-sun/

By my reckoning, the probe came within .057 AU of the Sun - and we'll find out sometime in December when the probe attempts to transmit the data to Earth of its passage. Ought to be interesting...

:)

If you want to use a figure such as .1 AU distance - that is probably going to work for your sci-fi games. After December 23rd, we may find out of .06 AU works...
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:48 AM   #2
Farmer

Default Re: How close can a ship pass to the sun?

It also reached a velocity of nearly 1,800km/s (that's kilometres, not metres) - the fastest human made object ever so far. That's nearly 0.6% C. The Parker probe is cool in so many ways!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Anthony

A sun shield of a reasonable refractory material can in principle survive at around 0.006AU, though you need pretty complicated layered protections to get any useful spaceship behind that.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
H

If you want to use a figure such as .1 AU distance - that is probably going to work for your sci-fi games. After December 23rd, we may find out of .06 AU works...
.1 AU was the informed guesstimate that this forum came up with many years ago when I asked this question.

It was for a system of fTL where jumplines termiated in inner solar systems and not outer. It's probably my favorite FTL and I am firmly of the belief that no good comes from sending PCs off to the edges of solar systems.Too much normal space travel capacity almost always makes for problems.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
Mark Caliber

So (per the linked article) the NASA probe is closing within 5.3 million miles.

I did some research on our star many moons ago and the closest that one should consider approaching our primary is 1.0 million miles.

The navigational hazard that you need to avoid are the solar flare ups (I call them solar matter ejecta but that's not the appropriate 'scientific' term) that will tear off the surface of the primary at speeds up to 0.3 C. These lethal waves of plasma can randomly explode from the surface without (currently) any warning.

Traveling closer that 1.0 million miles becomes a game of Russian Roulette.

And THAT is how close one can get to our primary.

If it weren't for the fact that stars are a roiling sphere of nuclear immolation that are constantly spewing (spewing?) multi million degree jets of plasma, one could actually get a starship much much closer.