Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Spear Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Unfortunately, they're already kind of a mockery, as Varyon explained. There's no incentive to improve defaulted skills when improving the master skill does the same job.
That is a good point. If your GM is a stickler for needing 1 point in the skill, just drop one point in it, the higher default will still take precedent.

Last edited by evileeyore; 10-02-2018 at 12:30 AM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #22
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That is a good point. If your GM is s tickler for needing 1 point in the skill, just drop one point in it, the higher default will still take precedent.
Well, it might be slightly cheaper at lower levels, if you've only got 4 pts in the master, putting 1 pt in a -2 default will bring it up, but it's a very small window of opportunity.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #23
Neophyte42

This post reminds me of the polearm sport I've done in the past, notably 5 - 6 foot long pole-axe and 7 - 8 foot long glaive. Using either weapon at reach is not conducive to parrying in general. If I was GMing, I'd say that the staff parry could only be used when the weapon was not used at range 2 (i.e. used as an attack at range 1, not used for an attack at all and so on).

I also feel like there should be some sort of mechanic to represent a combat opportunity to use the blunt end (or a haft strike) when it is desired to use the pointy end. Maybe when using a polearm like a staff (for the parry) roll 2d6 after hitting, on a 2 strike with the butt (staff thrust, crush) and on a 12 it is a haft swing.
Neophyte42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #24
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte42 View Post
This post reminds me of the polearm sport I've done in the past, notably 5 - 6 foot long pole-axe and 7 - 8 foot long glaive. Using either weapon at reach is not conducive to parrying in general. If I was GMing, I'd say that the staff parry could only be used when the weapon was not used at range 2 (i.e. used as an attack at range 1, not used for an attack at all and so on)....
Don't forget that on full length polearms (so 7-8') you are at parry 0U anyway* so if you are attacking you're not parrying unless you are using a defensive attack. It get's a bit better on cut down dueling versions (so 5-6') but you are still limited to Thrusting attacks to avoid 0U.

Form mastery on Polearms to staff is by RAW a bit weird anyway. Dueling polearms get their own line under Staff skill but parry at 0U or 0 anyway so why bother switch!

It's not clear what line you'd use for full length Polearms. Either way I wouldn't allow you to make a Unbalanced attack and then get around that by using Form mastery to swap to weapon listing that included a line that doesn't have a U in it.

You want to swing a top heavy polearm about and parry go defensive and be strong enough so that your opnet still feels like they're getting hit full strength!

*and your weapon becomes unready if you are swinging it!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 10-08-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #25
FeiLin

So, I've gotten around to making a Spear Master, and I ran into some questions. This is what I have so far:

Stats
ST 15, DX 15, IQ 12, HT 14
HP 15, Will 16, Per 10, FP 14
thr/sw 1d+1/2d+1
BS 7.25, BM 7
Dodge 10

Advantages
Form Mastery (Spear) [1]
Grip Mastery (Spear) [1]
Weapon Master (Spear) [20]

Skills
Spear-22 (DX+7/A) [28]
Staff-20 (DX+5/A) [1]

Techniques
Disarming (Spear)-22 [0]
Sweep (Spear)-19 [0]
Combination 1 (Disarming thr/weapon + Sweep sw/- + Spear thr/heart)-X+Y+Z [0]

Combat
Spear-22, 1H, 1d+3 imp, r1
Spear-22, 2H, 1d+4 imp, r1-2
Parry-15 (using spear as a staff for 20÷2 + 3 + 2)

So, I struggled a bit with the X, Y, Z for the Combo, but I have a few general questions as well:
  1. It's implicit that I have to use the spear 2H for the Sweep (otherwise I wont get the reach needed, afaik), but do I have to specify that for a Combination as well? (I would assume yes)
  2. The penalty is -9 for three attacks for 2H, halved for Weapon Master; does that leave it at -4 or -5? (I'd guess -4, implicitly from other examples, but I couldn't find it in the rules)
  3. Can I use combos at a default? (I got that impression, and would assume so, given they're like complex techniques)
  4. For hitting weapons, the penalty varies (-3/-4/-5 for rC/1H/2H, iirc), so how do I handle that in a combination? (I'd assume "dynamically", ie I can improve it to the max of the worse penalty when spending CP, but capping it for the actual targeted weapon when executing)
  5. So, given the above, I'd say that X, Y, Z at default would be (costing 5 CP for the first level, for Hard and 3 attacks):
    X = 22 -4 -3/-4/-5 = 13/14/15
    Y = 19 -4 = 15
    Z = 22 -4 -5 = 13
  6. The general vision is that the Spear Master should be able to disarm, fell, and then mark against even the most hard-boiled criminal, giving them shaky legs (since it all happens within a second!). Is that governed by a specific sub-set of the rules? (I'm guessing some obscure grappling maneuver, or some spin-off of impaling weapons)

That's just a start, feel free to give suggestions or point out errors.

Last edited by FeiLin; 04-02-2019 at 01:03 PM.
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
Donny Brook

When it comes time to choosing your actual weapon, don't forget the customizing options in Low Tech Companion: Weapons.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #27
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Can I use combos at a default? (I got that impression, and would assume so, given they're like complex techniques.
The answer seems to be 'if it's meaningful, no'.

If you could do something as a combination, you could just do it as a non-scripted Rapid Strike. At the same penalty, with none of the added drawbacks of a Combination. The only exception is that you can have a three-attack combination even in a game that uses a two-attack limit on rapid strikes...but the box specifically says that that that only works if you spend points on it.

Tags
defaults, form mastery, parry, spear master, staff skill