Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
aesir23

Default [MA] [Styles] Rough and Tumble: Possibly the most brutal unarmed martial art ever.

This was a real thing, so I wrote it up as a GURPS style.

Special thanks to my friend Jeff Shanks, whose paper on the topic can be heard here.

Rough and Tumble 3

This form of no-holds-barred fighting was common in the American south and the frontier west in the 18th and early 19th centuries. It was practiced primarily by the lower classes as a way to settle matters of honor, before it was replaced for this purpose by the bowie knife and then the revolver. The upper classes relied on the traditional duel (usually with pistols). Two southerners with irreconcilable differences might say, “do you want to fight fair (meaning according to the London Prize Fight Rules for Bare-Knuckle Boxing) or rough and tumble.”

Rough and Tumble fighting is remarkably light on rules, even by the standards of no-holds-barred. It was extremely common for fighters to gouge out eyes and bite off ears. An experienced rough and tumble fighter without some mutilations would be fairly rare (and probably very good.)

Common tactics involve forcing your opponent to the ground and trying to immobilize them so that you can gouge or bite. Some rough and tumble fighters grew their thumbnails long and hardened them in a fire. The purpose of these "gouger's thumbs" was to improve their ability to gouge out eyes. Some fighters also filed their teeth to points in order to bite more effectively.

There are few legends surrounding rough and tumble fighting, most accounts focus on its savage viciousness. It does however feature in humorous folklore and tall-tales from the region, including many of the stories featured in the Davy Crooker Almanac and some of the Brekenridge Elkins stories by Robert E. Howard. Some over-the-top abilities are suggested by these stories, as well as the “ring-tailed roarer” stock character who is not only a vicious fighter but a boisterous braggart.

Skills: Brawling, Wrestling.
Techniques: Eye Gouging (Brawling or Wrestling), Ground Fighting (Brawling or Wrestling), Knee Drop, Knee Strike (Brawling), Targeted Attack (Brawling Bite/Ear), Wrench Limb.
Cinematic Skills: Power Blow.
Cinematic Techniques: Back-Breaker, Lethal Strike, Pile-Driver
Perks: Dirty Fighting, Drunken Fighting, Gouger's Thumb*, Ground Guard, Neck Control, Power Grappling, Unusual Training (Sharp Teeth).

Optional Traits:
Advantages: Fearlessness, High Pain Threshold.
Disadvantages: Appearance, Distinctive Feature (One ear, missing nose, prominent scars, etc...), Odious Personal Habit (Bragging), One Eye, Reputation, Sadism.
Skills: Intimidation

*Gouger's Thumb:
You've grown out your thumbnail, sharpened it and hardened it with fire. This isn't sharp enough or strong enough to be used as a claw, but it's VERY useful when using Eye-Gouging. It grants +1 to both skill and damage when using that technique. Moreover, it makes it much easier to physically remove the eyeball—your opponent rolls at -2 to determine if a crippling injury to the eye is permanent—if it is, you have completely removed his eye from his socket.

You can have a Gouger's Thumb on one hand or both (the price is the same), but the nail will interfere with some tasks (-1 to all skills that receive a bonus from Manual Dexterity), and will be obvious—likely resulting in a negative reputation.

In a cinematic game, a gouger's thumb can be seen as justification for Lethal Strike, or even Sharp Claws or Talons.

Last edited by aesir23; 07-17-2016 at 02:55 PM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
phayman53

Default Re: [MA] [Styles] Rough and Tumble: Possibly the most brutal unarmed martial art ever

Wow, very interesting and cool. Would make a great addition to a frontier game. Might work well for an orc-like fantady race too. Thanks for sharing it!
EDIT: good homebrew perk too.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: [MA] [Styles] Rough and Tumble: Possibly the most brutal unarmed martial art ever

Good stuff. There is a history paper by Elliot Gorn on this and it's worth reading as well.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Good stuff. There is a history paper by Elliot Gorn on this and it's worth reading as well.
Thanks! This one here, I presume?

A quick perusal seems to suggest that Targeted Attack (Brawling Kick/Groin) and Stamp Kick ought to be added to my the list of techniques.

Last edited by aesir23; 07-16-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Thanks! This one here, I presume?
Yes that's it. I believe this was incorporated into Martial Arts in some way.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Celti

That is a fantastic style and is totally going to wind up in the After The End campaign I'm starting next week (that'll be a vicious bunch of gangbangers!).
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
That is a fantastic style and is totally going to wind up in the After The End campaign I'm starting next week (that'll be a vicious bunch of gangbangers!).
Good call, I think ATE isca great use for this one.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Donny Brook

Not to nitpick, but just fyi removing an eye would be gouging, with an O.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Not to nitpick, but just fyi removing an eye would be gouging, with an O.
Ha! Thanks!

You'd think a guy with three English degrees would know how to spell by now ;)
Old 07-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #10
aesir23

For those who are curious, this is what one gouger's hands looked like.

Tags
martial arts style