Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Alex1976

Default Psionics Build - Using "Based off Attribute" Modifier

I'm in the process of making a game based off the Scanners movie. I'm currently making an example character, Darryl Revok. He essentially boils the blood of another character, causing their skin to begin peel and bubble off.
My core focus for this post is on the damage and resistance. I'll add other modifiers, to finish the build, later. I need a little help on the "Based on Will" modifier. I want the attack to do 1d damage but when I add the modifier in GCA, it reads "Will+0 cor mal" instead of 1d6 cor mal"

Here's the build so far:

Quote:
Innate Attack: Corrosive Attack; level 1
*24 points per level*
Based on Boil Blood (pyrokinesis, Pyrokinesis (pyrokinesis-8 (own Roll), 0%; Based on Will (Target Roll), 20%; Malediction (Uses Speed/Range Table), 150%; Sens-Based (with Malediction) (Vision)-20%; Pyrokinesis, -10%
So here's my problem. Does Based on Will (Target Roll) from Characters 102 change the damage? When added it reads, in GCA, as if the damage is now based off the resistance instead of a flat 1d6 "Will+0 cor mal" instead of "1d cor mal"

What am I missing??
Alex (MIB #9454)

Obsidian Portal Profile GURPS Scanners, Shadowrun, Overworld, & Dark Fantasy

Last edited by Alex1976; 10-23-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: more specific title
Alex1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Psionics Build - Using "Based off Attribute" Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1976 View Post
when I add the modifier in GCA
Does this operate differently than http://www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/g4innatecalc.html does?

It seems to lack an "Own Roll" variant of "Based on" to float it from Will to a skill.

Probably because Innate Attack doesn't usually have an 'own roll' unless you add Malediction to it.

Another problem I noticed is that checking the 'magic' box doesn't seem to do anything (other checkboxes DO add modifiers, tried them all)

Plus ob you'd need to know not to check 'no knockback' on stuff like fatigue effect

Last edited by Plane; 10-23-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
Alex1976

Quote:
Does this operate differently than http://www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/g4innatecalc.html does?
I'm not sure, I've never seen that. It seems like a cool tool. I'm using GCA to build the ability.

Quote:
It seems to lack an "Own Roll" variant of "Based on" to float it from Will to a skill.
The portion, "Based on Boil Blood (pyrokinesis, Pyrokinesis (pyrokinesis-8 (own Roll), 0%;" covers the shift to a skill contest instead of a Attribute contest for the Player (not target).

Quote:
Probably because Innate Attack doesn't usually have an 'own roll' unless you add Malediction to it.
I believe that is what's messing it up but it has Malediction (Uses Speed/Range Table) +150% on it to make it a contested roll instead of an attack roll.

Quote:
Plus ob you'd need to know not to check 'no knockback' on stuff like fatigue effect
I'm not really concerned with details like that for now but want to figure out what I'm doing wrong in GCA so I can get the core calculation correct. But yes, I plan on adding stuff like that after I got the primary enhancements and limitations.
Alex (MIB #9454)

Obsidian Portal Profile GURPS Scanners, Shadowrun, Overworld, & Dark Fantasy
Alex1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

No, damage is always based on the level of the ability, so it sounds like a coding error. Based on Will only changes the resistance of the target from HT to Will, which really would not make sense for pyrokinesis anyway. I am also not quite sure if corrosive damage would work conceptually for pyrokinesis. I would suggest the alternative:

Boil Blood: Burning Attack 1d (Malediction 2, +150%; No Signature, Mundane, +25%; Pyrokinesis, -10%; Symptoms, Very Unfit, -1/3 HP, +45%; Symptoms, Hemophilia, -1/2 HP, +60%; Symptoms, Chronic Pain (Agonizing; 8 hours, 15-), +90%) [23/level]
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
not quite sure if corrosive damage would work conceptually for pyrokinesis
Corrosive is basically just "wrecks non-ablative DR" and "I only need to target your face to damage your eyes". If it can apply to "Water Blade" then fire doing some of that doesn't seem entirely off.

Fire/Pyro could actually be a mix of a lot of stuff, like this, Burning Attack of course, Fatigue (Symptoms: Heat), Fatigue (Symptoms: Dehydration), Control Temperature... maybe all Link+10% together.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote