Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default [MH] Semi-official Immortal template doesn't have the right point value?

So, I was looking at the Immortal inhuman template (from the designer's notes for Pulp Hunters!, see here) and unless I'm repeatedly miscounting it, it doesn't seem like it adds up to 200 points.

Attributes: 20+10=30
Advantages: 40+10+16=66
Each package adds up to 100
Disadvantages: -10-1-10=-21
30+66+100-21=175

Assuming I'm not screwing something up somewhere, what would be a good idea for what to fill those 25 points with?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [MH] Semi-official Immortal template doesn't have the right point value?

I've got an immortal fixer my spreadsheet insists is 400 points. Your math looks right, so I'm going to go nuts looking for either my error or my fix.

Raising iq and will it's probably fine but boring. Contacts are an option, and wealth is not inappropriate.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [MH] Semi-official Immortal template doesn't have the right point value?

On a related note, what would be good Know Your Enemy skills for an immortal?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
On a related note, what would be good Know Your Enemy skills for an immortal?
I mean...all of them? You've been around long enough that you've seen some ****.

An immortal who lived through Ancient Egypt would have Mummies, one who lived through the inquisitions would have Rogue Witches, etc...

And then there's the origin based Know Thy Enemies: A cursed immortal would probably have learned as much as possible about the entity that cursed it, an object based immortal would know about the whatever enemy is related to the source of the objects power, a human subspecies immortal would have a new Know Thy Enemy package for his fellow immortals, etc...

It really depends on the character and the campaign, but almost all of them are easily justified.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:27 AM   #5
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I mean...all of them? You've been around long enough that you've seen some ****.

An immortal who lived through Ancient Egypt would have Mummies, one who lived through the inquisitions would have Rogue Witches, etc...

And then there's the origin based Know Thy Enemies: A cursed immortal would probably have learned as much as possible about the entity that cursed it, an object based immortal would know about the whatever enemy is related to the source of the objects power, a human subspecies immortal would have a new Know Thy Enemy package for his fellow immortals, etc...

It really depends on the character and the campaign, but almost all of them are easily justified.
All good advice, but that's not what I meant. I meant what would be good Know Thy Enemy skills against immortals. The inhuman template requires you to take KTE skills specifically related to your race.

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 02-24-2020 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Misread what I was replying to.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
All good advice, but that's not what I meant. I meant what would be good Know Thy Enemy skills against immortals. The inhuman template requires you to take KTE skills specifically related to your race.
Ah, haha! My mistake.

I'd go with: Hidden Lore (Immortals) and One of: Archaeology, History, or some other skill based on the source of the immortality.

Again, it depends on the source of immortality in this world--are immortals cursed by God for their crimes? Then they should have Theology (Judeo-Christian, etc...)
Old 02-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #7
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Ah, haha! My mistake.

I'd go with: Hidden Lore (Immortals) and One of: Archaeology, History, or some other skill based on the source of the immortality.

Again, it depends on the source of immortality in this world--are immortals cursed by God for their crimes? Then they should have Theology (Judeo-Christian, etc...)
This particular example I'm building (who would be an NPC if I ended up using him, so the point cost isn't super-important, but I like following templates here) is a medieval knight who drank from the Holy Grail and was blessed/cursed with eternal life. He was very much not an exemplar of Christian virtue at the time (thus the "curse" part), but he's mellowed out since.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:07 AM   #8
aesir23

Quote:
This particular example I'm building (who would be an NPC if I ended up using him, so the point cost isn't super-important, but I like following templates here) is a medieval knight who drank from the Holy Grail and was blessed/cursed with eternal life. He was very much not an exemplar of Christian virtue at the time (thus the "curse" part), but he's mellowed out since.
So maybe Theology and Hidden Lore. Or if he's the only Immortal, replace Hidden Lore with History.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:50 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've got an immortal fixer my spreadsheet insists is 400 points. Your math looks right, so I'm going to go nuts looking for either my error or my fix.
Found it. I dropped -20 points in disads from the monstrous template and bought an additional five points from the occupational template advantages. Which I suppose makes sense for an immortal.

Quote:
Quote:
Different types of immortals have different know thy enemy skills. The skill for this guy is clearly theology: that's what lets him know about his own curse. I had an elixir-based immortality on my guy, so he took Thaumatology. The subspecies is probably Hidden Lore (immortals), though I could see hidden lore (cryptids) applying if you want to be more general. Psychology probably also applies: you are more human than most enemies.

History is appropriate, especially in your "know thyself" slot.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
GarenLiLorian

Quote:
...what would be good Know Thy Enemy skills against immortals. The inhuman template requires you to take KTE skills specifically related to your race.
I'd say that Psychology is always appropriate for Enemy groups that are human. Then either Thaumatology or Theology (depending on whether the immortal in question is magical or mystical) are appropriate for anything except the Highlander variant, which probably gets its own Hidden Lore (though I hate adding hidden lore specialties to Monster Hunters) to tell you things like Immortal society's rules, code duello, etc.
GarenLiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote