Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Maz

Default Affliction - debuffing attributes total cost?

I always found Affliction a weird ability, or rather the way Modifiers are calculated often doesn't match what I feel makes sense due to the base ability only costing 10 pts.

I might have misunderstood something, so help me out here.

So this might sound munckiny but it's for an NPC and I know I'm usually the one to always say "don't stats out powers for NPCs exactly", but in this case the PC's might be able to learn the same ability so I want to make it consistent (and balanced).

It's an affliction to debuff Will so further will-targeting attacks becomes easier.

Affliction - 10 pts (total cost after modifiers = 21,5 pts)
Attribute penalty (Will): +5% (this isn't in the book, but since IQ would reduce both IQ, Will and Per at 10% I put will only at 5%)
Malediction: +100%
Resist based on Will instead of HT: +20%.
Cost FP - 2 FP: -10%
Total modifiers = 115%

So I assume the above is correct. My problem is I initially wanted it to be an attack that you could use multiple times on a target. That's the Cumulative modifier at +400%.
However it is MUCH cheaper to simply say that the attack reduce Will by -20 for (+5%*20 = +100%)

Is this really true?

How would you change it up so it would be cheaper to make an attack where you had to use it multiple time to reduce the Will o the target, instead of simply buying a "one-big-penalty" attack from the start?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Affliction - debuffing attributes total cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Attribute penalty (Will): +5% (this isn't in the book, but since IQ would reduce both IQ, Will and Per at 10% I put will only at 5%)
I think that's technically legal, since -1 to Will is a -5 points disadvantage, so you could do it via the "Disadvantage" enhancement.

I'm not even sure why Attribute Penalty got priced separately at basically half the cost lowered IQ/DX (10 instead of 20) and HT/ST (5 in stead of 10) would be be.

Quote:
I initially wanted it to be an attack that you could use multiple times on a target. That's the Cumulative modifier at +400%.
However it is MUCH cheaper to simply say that the attack reduce Will by -20 for (+5%*20 = +100%) Is this really true?
Yeah, it's weird. Might be interesting for Cumulative to be valued as a multiple based on the value of other enhancements you choose instead of a flat cost.

Quote:
How would you change it up so it would be cheaper to make an attack where you had to use it multiple time to reduce the Will o the target, instead of simply buying a "one-big-penalty" attack from the start?
Innate Attack with Symptoms. Price a -1 to will at the 1/3 and 1/2 and 2/3 intervals.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yes, your math is correct by Rules As Written.

The price of the cumulative modifier makes much more sense when you show it alongside beneficial afflictions. +1 cumulative DX costs as much as +3 DX, which feels about right.

Beneficial afflictions generally cost 10 times as much as their disadvantageous counterparts. As a GM I'd happily decrease the cumulative modifier to +40% for disadvantageous afflictions only. Though I'd probably actually make it +50% because of pentaphilia.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The price of the cumulative modifier makes much more sense when you show it alongside beneficial afflictions. +1 cumulative DX costs as much as +3 DX, which feels about right.
+1 to DX is worth 20 points and a +200% enhancement
+3 to DX is worth 60 points and a +600% enhancement

I see what you mean.

What if we just applied the +400% to the underlying enhancement (an "enhanced enhancement"?) which would quintuple its cost?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Beneficial afflictions generally cost 10 times as much as their disadvantageous counterparts. As a GM I'd happily decrease the cumulative modifier to +40% for disadvantageous afflictions only. Though I'd probably actually make it +50% because of pentaphilia.
I like this. Gonna play with it a bit and see if it makes sense. Thanks!

And I don't mind it being 40% :)
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, cumulative, malediction, powers