Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #361
whitecloud197

Default Re: Gambling

Ohhh I see. Yeah i can see how that works.

Decent.
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #362
thedag

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospel X View Post
Hi, I'm new here and also relatively new to Munchkin. The group I play with immediately found troubles with the original fantasy Munchkin set. Namely, no one wants to be an Elf because then they can't help with fights and barter for treasure. No one in the group wants an Elf's help, period. So the options were to either just dump the Elf race or change the definition of "help" to make them useful.
Hi I just wanted to ask did the situation ever arise where a person attempted to run away rather than get help from an Elf? If my options were to get help from an Elf or attempt to run away and die if I fail I'd take the help unless it meant the Elf winning the game.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #363
snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
Hi I just wanted to ask did the situation ever arise where a person attempted to run away rather than get help from an Elf? If my options were to get help from an Elf or attempt to run away and die if I fail I'd take the help unless it meant the Elf winning the game.
That's pretty much how it works in our games, though the Elf is usually somewhat limited in their ability to negotiate for treasures (after all, you're an Elf, you get a level - why should I give you the same treasure as someone else?).

But, if you're facing a 2-level monster, or something that has a bunch of enhancers on it boosting the treasures, sometimes you've just got to bring in the level-gaining Elf to close the deal.

My strategy with the Elf is to try to be the highest combat-bonus character at the table - that way, if someone really needs help or is worried that others might try to screw with them, they actually want me in the combat.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #364
Gospel X

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
We have had situations like that where people would take the Elf's help, but there were plenty of others where they bartered with others or used some sort of advantage to run away safely. The Elf race is simply the pariah of the game in my group, and that just results in avoidance.
Gospel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #365
Mister Ed

That just seems weird to me. I mean, sure, you don't ask the Elf for help when they are a higher level than you, or when they are getting too close to winning, but to just categorically ignore them? Even though getting their help usually means you get to keep most if not all of the treasure? That seems a bit much, IMHO. Especially when fighting a monster that grants YOU two levels if you win.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #366
Gospel X

My group is that spiteful - hence the house rule.
Gospel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #367
frofrog

Charge it up!
This house rule allows you to charge up a ship or steed by discarding two cards from hand. Put a tokin on the card. The charged "item" can be used to "backstab" for one die minus one. You can only charge on your turn and not use the bonus in your own battle.
The munchkin dies are excellent as tokins.
frofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #368
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospel X View Post
My group is that spiteful - hence the house rule.
Well good on you for coming up with a way around the problem and if other groups treat it the same way then they may find this useful. I have been in combat where people have decided to refuse to help for no reason or sometimes we will look at the bad stuff before deciding to help or not.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #369
cree128

When you die you lose half your level.
Example- you are level 8 and you die. you are now level 4
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #370
Morfeatire

I don't know how your group plays, but there are monsters who drains levels and monsters who kills. If every time someone dies they lost that many levels that would add another hour to the gameplay of munchkin. I'd rather play 2 games. When we want someone to loose a few levels we just wander in some monster that does the job
Morfeatire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice