Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #1091
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

DIAMONDBACK

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record (due to a lack of convictions).
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Austin, Texas.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Serpent Squad.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Very little has been revealed about Diamondback's history. She has stated that she once attempted to make the US Olympics gymnastics team, though it is unknown if she ever competed professionally nor what kept her out of the Olympics. It is known that she is a graduate of the Taskmaster's criminal training academies, though her initial motivations for attending are unknown (see Taskmaster). In her first documented appearance, she was approached by the criminal Viper and his brother, the Eel, to join their team of snake-themed mercenaries, which Viper dubbed the Serpent Squad (see Eel; Serpent Squad; Viper).

In the Serpent Squad's first outing, Diamondback came into conflict with Captain America and his young partner, Bucky, while attempting to acquire information from Oscorp's Bronx plant's computers (see Bucky; Captain America; Green Goblin). Though defeated and most of the Squad taken into custody, Diamondback (and the rest of the Serpents who had been captured) was released from prison on bail by an unknown benefactor. The charges against Diamondback were apparently later dropped.

Diamondback has twice more fought Captain America as a member of the Serpent Squad, although the other Serpents have questioned the intensity of her in-combat flirting with the Captain. She was most recently hired by Captain America to assist in taking down one of the Taskmaster's training facilities. Her work ethic has apparently impressed Georges Batroc, who has indicated that if she tired of the Serpents that he would not mind having her in his Brigade (see Batroc, Georges; Batroc's Brigade).
Height: 5' 6".
Weight: 140 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown, dyed magenta.
Uniform: Purple and black bodysuit, black gloves, black boots, purple half-mask, a belt with a diamond motif.
Strength Level: Diamondback possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular toning exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Diamondback is a skilled gymnast with the ability to hurl small objects with incredible accuracy.
Paraphernalia: Diamondback usually carries an undisclosed number of aerodynamic throwing spikes in the shape of diamonds, several of which contain small amounts of plastic explosive, obscuring smoke, tear gas, or other payloads.

392 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 14 [80]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0]; Spanish (Accented) [4].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Fit [5]; Flexibility [5]; Gizmo 3 [15]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Perfect Balance [15]; Perfect Throw 4 [40]; Rapid Healing [5]; Resistant to Poisons (+3) [5]; Signature Gear (Throwing Diamonds; Consumable) [2]; Striking ST +9 (One Attack Only: Thrown Weapons, -60%) [18]; Super Throw 2 (Costs 1 FP, -5%) [19]; Weapon Master (All Thrown Weapons) [35].
Perks: Acrobatic Kicks [1]; Skintight Outfit [1]; Special Exercises (Super Throw) [1].
Disadvantages: Chummy [-5]; Code of Honor (Professional) [-5]; Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5].
Quirks: Attentive [-1]; Careful [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Enamored With Captain America [-1]; Incorrigible Flirt [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+2 [8] 16*; Boxing (A) DX+0 [2] 14; Carousing (E) HT+0 [1] 12; Climbing (A) DX+3 [1] 17*; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] 12; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] 12; Escape (H) DX+2 [2] 16; Fast-Draw (Shuriken) (E) DX+2 [2] 16; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ+1 [2] 12; Forced Entry (E) DX+0 [1] 14; Judo (H) DX+0 [4] 14; Jumping (E) DX+0 [1] 14; Lockpicking/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] 14; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] 12; Poisons/TL8 (H) IQ+1 [8] 12; Running (A) HT+1 [4] 13; Savoir-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ+1 [2] 12; Sex Appeal (Human) (A) HT+3 [1] 15; Shadowing (A) IQ+1 [4] 12; Sleight of Hand (H) DX+0 [4] 14; Stealth (A) DX+0 [2] 14; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [4] 12; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] 12; Throwing (A) DX+4 [2] 18#; Thrown Weapon (Dart) (E) DX+6 [4] 20#; Thrown Weapon (Shuriken) (E) DX+6 [4] 20#.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) (H) def+5 [6] 16; Kicking (Acrobatics) (H) def+2 [3] 16;
Starting Spending Money: $4,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +1 from Perfect Balance.
Includes +3 from Flexibility.
Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.
Includes +3 from Appearance.
# Includes +4 from Perfect Throw.

Role-Playing Notes:
Despite her affinity for sharp, pointy objects, Diamondback is not particularly vicious, being in fact the least likely member of the Serpent Squad to press an attack, preferring to complete the job with a minimum of violence. She presents herself with a flighty personality, flirting with teammates and good-looking male adversaries (including Captain America) alike.

Design Notes:
1. Diamondback's Signature Gear is calculated from her carrying about 30 specialty thimble grenades (25mm warheads) and other special tipped throwing spikes (built as Spike Shuriken, Low-Tech p. 76, before adding the warheads and other options from High-Tech and Ultra-Tech).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-28-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #1092
chandley

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
DIAMONDBACK

Advantages: Perfect Throw 4 [40];
Striking ST +9 (One Attack Only: Thrown Weapons, -60%) [18];
Weapon Master (All Thrown Weapons) [35].

Skills: Throwing (A) DX+4 [2] 18#; Thrown Weapon (Dart) (E) DX+6 [4] 20#; Thrown Weapon (Shuriken) (E) DX+6 [4] 20#.

# Includes +4 from Perfect Throw.

Two questions: Where does Perfect Throw come from? Talent you made, or published somewhere?

Also, that is a lot of points, and a very elaborate build, to just get the effects of Throwing Art. Is there something you are getting out of Weapon Master (All Thrown Weapons) + a slew of specific throwing skills, that you dont get our of Throwing Art? Ranged Rapid Strike modifiers perhaps? Heroic Knife Throwing + Throwing Art might be a better and more in character combo? Or maybe you reserve Throwing Art for Bullseye, and everyone else has to make do?

Note: Striking ST+9 is wasted on Darts and Shuriken. Min ST is 5 or 6, so max ST is 15 or 18. 20 doesnt really get you anything (not even throwing range!). It is the major restriction on the "throw lots of little stuff" build: can never really get 2d damage.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 PM   #1093
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Two questions: Where does Perfect Throw come from? Talent you made, or published somewhere?
Perfect Throw is a Talent I made when I was working on Bullseye a few years back. It adds to the following skills: Bolas, Dropping, Innate Attack (Projectile), Lasso, Sling, Spear Thrower, Throwing, Throwing Art, and Thrown Weapon, with a conditional bonus to Sports that involve throwing (like Baseball and American Football, among others). I figure others who deal with thrown weapons a lot should have something to help them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley
Also, that is a lot of points, and a very elaborate build, to just get the effects of Throwing Art. Is there something you are getting out of Weapon Master (All Thrown Weapons) + a slew of specific throwing skills, that you dont get our of Throwing Art? Ranged Rapid Strike modifiers perhaps? Heroic Knife Throwing + Throwing Art might be a better and more in character combo? Or maybe you reserve Throwing Art for Bullseye, and everyone else has to make do?
Because Diamondback is rather focused in her throwing, using actual weapons rather than playing cards, pens, and whatnot, I didn't see any real reason to give her Throwing Art. There's others I'd give Throwing Art to; Gambit comes to mind. (Not likely to stat him up myself, but he's on the list of cinematic card-throwers.)

Where's Heroic Knife Throwing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley
Note: Striking ST+9 is wasted on Darts and Shuriken. Min ST is 5 or 6, so max ST is 15 or 18. 20 doesnt really get you anything (not even throwing range!). It is the major restriction on the "throw lots of little stuff" build: can never really get 2d damage.
I used Spike Shuriken (Low-Tech, p.76) as the basis for her throwing diamonds. According to GCA, which is what I used to check my math, that permits her to hit at 2d-2 imp (with Fine weapons). Not sure what's going on there, then, as they have a MinST 5. Diamondback's main damage dealt, though, would probably be in the explosive-tipped spikes. And yeah, I'm aware of the issue with throwing range, hence her having a few levels of Super Throw.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #1094
chandley

Quote:
Perfect Throw is a Talent I made
Cool, thanks for the write up!

Quote:
Because Diamondback is rather focused in her throwing, using actual weapons rather than playing cards, pens, and whatnot, I didn't see any real reason to give her Throwing Art. There's others I'd give Throwing Art to; Gambit comes to mind. (Not likely to stat him up myself, but he's on the list of cinematic card-throwers.)

Where's Heroic Knife Throwing?
It is just a renamed Heroic Archer. I got yelled at for using Heroic Archer for slings without renaming it, so I made sure to rename it here. I dont see any reason why you couldnt do it for Thrown Weapons (though there are enough different thrown weapons that you might want to bump the cost up to equal Gunslinger).

Quote:
I used Spike Shuriken (Low-Tech, p.76) as the basis for her throwing diamonds. According to GCA, which is what I used to check my math, that permits her to hit at 2d-2 imp (with Fine weapons). Not sure what's going on there, then, as they have a MinST 5. Diamondback's main damage dealt, though, would probably be in the explosive-tipped spikes. And yeah, I'm aware of the issue with throwing range, hence her having a few levels of Super Throw.
Does GCA automagically convert adds to dice? Spike Shuriken is thr-2 imp, and ST 15 is 1d+1, so base she does 1d-1, +1 (Fine), +2 WM, optionally +4 (Super Throw 2) for 1d+6... no thats not 2d-2 either. It is definitely giving her 2d-1 for ST 20, -2 (shuriken), +1 (fine)... But that aint right.

Honestly, given how low Acc throwing weapons are, maybe we should have Heroic Throwing remove the 3xminST limit on range and damage... After all, if you pick up a 0.1 lbs rock and throw it with ST 20, you get 2d-5 damage and 70 yards range...
Old 06-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #1095
Phantasm

DOCTOR FAUSTUS

Identity: Doctor Faustus apparently does not use a dual identity.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States, possibly naturalized, with no criminal record.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Employee of an unknown backer.
Base of Operations: Madripoor; formerly Washington, DC.
History: Henry Faustus grew up in Washington, DC, where he grew up surrounded by politicians and lobbyists. By his own account, he grew fascinated by how lobbyists were able to influence the votes of Congressmen, sometimes even against the Congressman's own interests. This led to a lifelong interest in mind control and brainwashing. He attended college at Georgetown University, earning both his M.D. and Ph.D. in his fields.

His reputed skill and political connections led to his name being on the top of the list of psychiatrists in SHIELD's files when Captain America was being influenced by dreams of his son, who went MIA during the Vietnam War and was never accounted for (see Captain America; SHIELD). Unknown to Captain America or SHIELD, Doctor Faustus was working for an unrevealed subversive employer who sought to eliminate Captain America. Following each visit, the Captain's dreams got worse, to the point where Faustus was almost able to get the Captain to commit suicide; the Captain was talked down at the last minute by his SHIELD liaison and great-niece, Sharon Carter, who had discovered Faustus's attempt at mind control (see Carter, Sharon).

When Captain America and Carter attempted to arrest Faustus, however, they discovered that he had fled his offices and arranged passage to the island nation of Madripoor, which does not have an extradition treaty with the United States.

In Madripoor, he teamed up with the criminals Crossbones and Sin, who also were working for Faustus's undisclosed benefactor (see Crossbones; Sin). He has recently taken possession of a cryogenic stasis chamber; the identity of the person in the chamber and Faustus's intentions are currently unknown, but Faustus has remarked on the person's "striking resemblance" to someone he knows, and that the person in the chamber "will make an excellent test subject."
Height: 6' 6".
Weight: 350 lbs.
Eyes: Green.
Hair: Red.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: Doctor Faustus possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in minimal exercise.
Other Abilities: Doctor Faustus is a skilled psychiatrist and psychologist as well as a trained hypnotist. His specialty, however, is in various forms of brainwashing and mind control via mundane means.

254 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 9 [-20]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 10 [0].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs; HP 14 [6]; Will 14 [0]; Per 14 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 5.00 [5]; Basic Move 4 [-5]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Advantages: Charisma 3 [15]; Memetics 4 [40]; Patron ([FNORD]) (9) [15]; Reputation (Noted Psychiatrist) 2 (Large Class of People) (10) [2]; Status 2 [5*]; Voice [10]; Wealth (Wealthy) [20].
Perks: Controllable Disadvantage (Easy to Read) [1]; License (Psychiatrist) [1].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Chronic Pain (Mild; Interval: 1 hour) (9) [-2]; Combat Paralysis [-15]; Enemy (Captain America; More Powerful) (9) [-20]; Gluttony (12) [-5]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Overweight [-1]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Post-Combat Shakes (12) [-5].
Quirks: Careful [-1]; Overly Confident in his Persuasion Abilities [-1]; Proud [-1].
Skills: Acting (A) IQ+2 [8] 16; Body Language (Human) (A) Per+2 [8] 16; Brainwashing/TL8 (H) IQ+11 [32] 25; Connoisseur (Literature) (A) IQ-1 [1] 13; Connoisseur (Visual Arts) (A) IQ-1 [1] 13; Criminology/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ+0 [1] 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics) (E) IQ+0 [1] 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (Science & Technology) (E) IQ+0 [1] 14; Detect Lies (H) Per+0 [3] 13; Diagnosis/TL8 (Human) (H) IQ+0 [4] 14; Diplomacy (H) IQ+5 [2] 19; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+7 [4] 21#; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ+0 [1] 14; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [2] 10; Hypnotism (Human) (H) IQ+0 [4] 14; Intimidation (A) Will+1 [3] 15#; Lip Reading (A) Per+0 [2] 14; Literature (H) IQ-1 [2] 13; Persuade (H) Will+2 [12] 16; Physician/TL8 (H) IQ-1 [2] 13; Politics (A) IQ+5 [1] 19; Propaganda/TL8 (A) IQ+5 [4] 19; Psychology (Human) (H) IQ+6 [12] 20; Public Speaking (A) IQ+6 [4] 20; Research/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] 14; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+1 [2] 15; Sociology (H) IQ+3 [1] 17; Suggest (H) Will+2 [12] 16; Writing (A) IQ-1 [1] 13.
Starting Spending Money: $20,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +1 from Wealth.
Includes +4 from Memetics.
Defaulted from Body Language (Human).
Includes +2 from Voice.
# Conditional +3 from Charisma.
Defaulted from Acting.
Defaulted from Psychology (Human).

Role-Playing Notes:
Doctor Faustus is not a combatant, being primarily a manipulator of people for his own ends. If faced with violence, he will either flee or surrender, using his skills to lull his captor(s) into a false sense of security, and possibly even letting him go.

Design Notes:
1. It probably goes without saying that Faustus is working for the Red Skull, like in the mainstream titles, although this won't be revealed until early in Year Two. Also in Year Two, I plan to reveal that the person in the chamber is Captain America's long-lost son, James Rogers. Enjoy the twist. :)
2. Faustus's real name is different from his given name on the Marvel wiki because I rather liked the idea that he wouldn't use a dual identity. He may have legally changed it, but leaving that up in the air.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #1096
Phantasm

FLAG-SMASHER

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of Switzerland with a criminal record in the United States.
Place of Birth: Bern, Switzerland.
Marital Status: Presumably single.
Known Relatives: Father (name unrevealed; deceased).
Group Affiliation: ULTIMATUM.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: By his own account, the man who would one day become known as Flag-Smasher grew up the son of a Swiss diplomat, moving around the world on a regular basis, never having time to set down roots. One day, when he was a teenager, his father was killed in a terrorist's car bomb. This thoroughly shook him to his core, and he decided that striving to unite the world with words was a waste of effort. He would continue his father's work of uniting the world, but use the only language he felt the world would understand: violence.

It is not known whether he started the organization known as ULTIMATUM or if they recruited him, though the law enforcement and intelligence communities believe the latter (see ULTIMATUM). Either way, he was first seen leading a group of ULTIMATUM soldiers in an effort to blow up a number of federal buildings in New York City, where he was first opposed by Captain America and his sidekick, Bucky (see Bucky; Captain America). Flag-Smasher was arrested and presumably deported.

He did not stay in prison for long, as he was most recently seen leading an ULTIMATUM attack on Captain America in Hong Kong. Though most of ULTIMATUM's soldiers were captured, Flag-Smasher escaped. Where he will turn up next is anyone's guess.
Height: 6' 2".
Weight: 195 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: White bodyshirt, black pants, black belt with a globe featuring the Americas on the buckle, black gloves, white boots, black cowl with red lenses over the eyes, black cloak with a red interior.
Strength Level: Flag-Smasher possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise.
Other Abilities: Flag-Smasher is a skilled hand to hand combatant and a marksman with ranged weaponry. He has also been given training in demolitions. Thanks to his experiences growing up, he is fluent in a multitude of languages. His most notable skill, however, is his skill at rhetoric and convincing others to join his cause.

380 points
Attributes:
ST 13 [30]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d/2d-1; BL 34 lbs.; HP 13 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 7.00 [15]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Dodge 11.
Languages: German (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Charisma 3 [15]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Cultural Adaptability [10]; Danger Sense [15]; Extra Attack 1 [25]; Fit [5]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Omnilingual [40]; Social Chameleon [5]; ULTIMATUM Rank 6 [18]; Voice [10]; Wealth (Filthy Rich) [50].
Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Compulsive Rhetoric (6) [-10]; Enemy (Law Enforcement) (12) [-60]; Fanaticism (World Unification; Extreme) [-15]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5].
Quirks: Dual Identity [-1]; Never Smiles [-1].
Skills: Axe/Mace (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Body Language (Human) (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (High Culture) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 14; Detect Lies (H) Per+0 [4] – 12; Diplomacy (H) IQ+0 [1] – 12*†; Escape (H) DX-1 [2] – 12; Explosives/TL8 (Demolitions) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14; Fast-Draw/TL8 (Ammo) (E) DX+1 [1] – 14‡; First Aid (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Guns/TL8 (Rifle) (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Hiking (A) HT+0 [2] – 12; Intimidation (A) Will+0 [2] – 12; Judo (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Jumping (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Karate (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Leadership (A) IQ+3 [2] – 13; Liquid Projector/TL8 (Flamethrower) (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Observation (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Politics (A) IQ+2 [2] – 14*; Propaganda/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 13; Public Speaking (A) IQ+6 [4] – 18*; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 12; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Savoir-Faire (Mafia) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Streetwise (A) IQ-1 [1] – 11; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] – 12; Throwing (A) DX-1 [1] – 12; Traps/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Two-Handed Axe/Mace (A) DX+1 [4] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $400,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +2 from Voice.
† Conditional +3 from Charisma.
‡ Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.
Includes +3 from Charisma.

Role-Playing Notes:
Flag-Smasher is a fanatic, genuinely believing the unification/anti-nationalist rhetoric he's constantly spouting. There is nothing he won't do to further his agenda.

Design Notes:
1. "ULTIMATUM Rank" is built following the guidelines in Social Engineering – Pulling Rank, with ULTIMATUM treated as the equivalent of a 10-point Patron, with Rank repriced to 3 points per level; at Rank 6, Flag-Smasher can receive assistance from the rest of ULTIMATUM on an Assistance Roll of 12 or less.

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-05-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #1097
Phantasm

FREEDOM FORCE

Freedom Force is the name given to a team of superhumans who were recruited by the Department of Homeland Security to act as a counterpart to SHIELD's proposed Sentinel program (see Sentinels; SHIELD). All of the founding members of the team are mutants, but the government may add non-mutant superhumans to the team later.

The team that ultimately became Freedom Force was originally founded as a criminal team. Their first documented operation together was robbing an armored car in Washington, DC. This plot was thwarted by Capatain America and his partner and trainee, Bucky, who were in town to testify in front of Congress (see Bucky; Captain America).

At this point, enter Dr. Valerie Cooper, a political scientist and administrative agent for the DHS who was growing concerned over the image that SHIELD's Sentinel program could send to the superhuman population of the US (and worldwide). To this end, she proposed that the DHS recruit a team of superhumans to act as America's official super-team.

Cooper approached Byron Calley, the ringleader of the team who went by the alias Crucible, with a proposal for he and his team to have the charges dropped in return for their service in the Department (see Crucible). Most of the team agreed, though Slither only did so reluctantly (see Slither). It was Cooper who named the team "Freedom Force".

Freedom Force has been seen investigating the outlaw hero team known as the Renegades and the snake-themed mercenary team called the Serpent Squad (see Renegades; Serpent Squad). During this second case, they came into conflict once again with Captain America.

Following the Serpent Squad case, Slither quit the team after a fierce argument with Dr. Cooper over his methodology. Cooper has since been reviewing other superhumans to expand the team.

Membership Roster
Crucible – Founding member; Crucible recruited the original members the team prior to their recruitment by Homeland Security. He currently acts as field leader for the team.
Meteorite – Founding member; Meteorite's telekinesis is often disguised as control over rock.
Oracle – Founding member; Oracle serves as the team's surveillance expert.
Paralyzer – Founding member.
Slither – Founding member; Slither recently left the team after a dispute with Crucible and Val Cooper over his methodology on a case.
Dr. Valerie Cooper – Freedom Force's immediate superior in the Department of Homeland Security, Val Cooper is the one that selects their missions and may later expand the team.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-26-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #1098
Otaku

Quote:
There's others I'd give Throwing Art to; Gambit comes to mind. (Not likely to stat him up myself, but he's on the list of cinematic card-throwers.)
Does he, or does his power alter how objects perform when thrown (with that aspect able to be dropped when he needs, for example, a playing card to flutter down from the ceiling)? I haven't read the X-Men titles in 15 years, though for the decade before that I was a rabid fanboy. I suppose he might still have Throwing Art as well.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #1099
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Does he, or does his power alter how objects perform when thrown (with that aspect able to be dropped when he needs, for example, a playing card to flutter down from the ceiling)? I haven't read the X-Men titles in 15 years, though for the decade before that I was a rabid fanboy. I suppose he might still have Throwing Art as well.
I haven't really read the X-books since Operation: Zero Tolerance myself, save picking up a few here and there to try and stay current. Cecilia Reyes ("no code name", running around in an outfit Beast "borrowed" from Wasp's wardrobe) was the last X-person to join up before I stopped reading for various reasons. (I'm wholly convinced Emma Frost is the reason Cyke turned to the jerk side.)

As for Gambit, given that I recall him throwing a card accurately without needing to charge it, I'd give him Throwing Art. But, like I said earlier, I'm not likely to stat him up.

Any comments on the latest batch?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #1100
Otaku

Quote:
I haven't really read the X-books since Operation: Zero Tolerance myself, save picking up a few here and there to try and stay current. Cecilia Reyes ("no code name", running around in an outfit Beast "borrowed" from Wasp's wardrobe) was the last X-person to join up before I stopped reading for various reasons.
Huh, I didn't remember that being where she got her outfit but I was still in full fanboy mode and getting every X-title I could, so if it was something I didn't care about, details get fuzzy.

Quote:
(I'm wholly convinced Emma Frost is the reason Cyke turned to the jerk side.)
I suppose that is possible; you think she did something to Cyke during her time with the Hellfire Club? I didn't start reading X-Men until the 90s, though I did get some of the older stuff via X-Men Classics: Cyclops has been a jerk for a looooooong time. Personally I think he just ended up overcompensating:

Quote:
As for Gambit, given that I recall him throwing a card accurately without needing to charge it, I'd give him Throwing Art. But, like I said earlier, I'm not likely to stat him up.
This might be relevant as it applies to other characters, including ones I might not know in enough detail to spot it from a read up.

In reality you can toss a playing card so that it embeds into someone's forehead, but it takes a lot of skill, a decent bit of strength and in GURPS terms it might not even do a point of damage before DR, just being a 0-point flesh wound.

While a similar outcome can come from Throwing Art, my understanding is that it is a cinematic skill that allows anything you toss to become a weapon. Looking it up, a playing card (according to p.B226) will do thr-3 cutting damage if you've got Throwing Art, before any Weapon Master bonuses (if you've got Weapon Master).

So this is what a strong, athletic Bullseye probably started with before working his way up to "full four color" level as he had to start running with Supers that had been around (and thus been powering up) for decades. I didn't read Daredevil though, so maybe he was always really just using an Innate Attack or Affliction with appropriate Limitations to simulate it being him throwing stuff (how I'd represent even the Bullseye from the *twitch* Ben Affleck Daredevil film, let alone regular comic book Bullseye when I was reading).

Maybe Gambit does have it; but I haven't seen him throw a lot of things that weren't charged, and specific items he throws tend to all ignore how they "should" fly a lot of the time: for example playing cards don't spin like I usually see them do (have I just not seen people throw it properly?).

Quote:
Any comments on the latest batch?
Dunno any of them. Well, unless I skipped one by accident. ;)

Now you see why I fixated on said comment.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men