Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #41
Toubrouk

Default Re: Planet Destroyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
All right I know it's a mistake to get involved in a Star Wars/ physics discussion...
The truth is, can you name another instance in the history of science-fiction where a planet got blew-up besides star-wars? I can say the "Hitchiker Guide To the Galaxy" but the material based on this book is quite rare to find. Oh well, let's forget the works of Georges Lucas for now on.
Quote:
...but here goes:

Isn't Apophis (being a solid rock) actually denser then a basically hollow spacecraft?
True, at first sight, the rock got an edge. But at the moment of impact, i believe that the density of what the warship is made will tip the balance.

Another thing, the warship can be filled with ammo and fuel. Depending of the type of the ship, the worst of the damage might not be done by planetfall.

In the backround of one of my games, a large spaceship went crashing on a planet. he never reached the ground. The ship was antimatter-powered. during re-entry, the engine block broke and released 30 kilos of anti-hydrogen. The following explosion blew the ship into pieces, burned the atmosphere of the planet and sank one of the bigest continent. the stress on the planet's crust was strong enough to brake it appart, sending it sink towards the center of the planet, leaving at the surface a neverending ocean of molten larva.

Needless to say, all the habitants of the planet died.
Quote:
Also Apophis is going faster than a Star Destroyer that is just falling from orbit.
If a ship fall from orbit, i would have to assume that it's by unvolontary reasons (damage, accident, engine failiure, pilot error) so velocity will not go over the "Normal" re-entry speed of the space shuttle (Mach 25 if i remember clearly).

If the meteor got a velocity, it would be breaked by the atmosphere. By how much? I can't tell.

Last edited by Toubrouk; 12-09-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Toubrouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #42
Toubrouk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedslider
Its kindia sad in a strange geeky way when you start to use math to explain the Death star and things like that when its a plot device.....and i would still take unicron to destory any planets
Well, if the unicorn came falling down from orbit is made from steel and is longer than a kilometer...

OH! Unicron! I have missreaded your post! :)
Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toubrouk
The truth is, can you name another instance in the history of science-fiction where a planet got blew-up besides star-wars?
In Babylon 5, both the Vorlons and the Shadows had planet killers.
In the TOS episode The Doomsday Machine there was a massive machine that "ate" planets.
In Tides of Light there was a planet being cored by a cosmic string fragment like an apple.
In numerous hard-sf series planets are destroyed by relavitistic collisions, or superdense objects (like black holes and neutron stars). Note that the latter almost certainly actually occurs.
Oh and of course, Transformers: The Movie.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-30-2012 at 10:47 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #44
Toubrouk

Damn, now i know it's friday...
Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Damn, now i know it's friday...
I don't get it.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #46
Toubrouk

Quote:
I don't get it.
I just focused on starwars, that's the point. It happend to me on fridays.

Yeah, i have to agree with you, Sci-fi got many examples where you can destroy a planet besides the Death-Star(tm).

There's another way to mess with a planet; it's to mess with the star she turn around. The stun has been done in the movie "Star Trek: Generations". I am just clueless about how we can do it in GURPS. Any ideas?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
There's another way to mess with a planet; it's to mess with the star she turn around. The stun has been done in the movie "Star Trek: Generations". I am just clueless about how we can do it in GURPS. Any ideas?
You mean stop nuclear fusion, with some romulan industrial waste or Traveller's "Darrian Star Trigger". IMO these "fusion inhibitors" are superscience devices that work however you want. An advantage to inhibit fusion could be purchased as an Affliction with Heart Attack (effectively the same thing) and Stars Only (-40%) maybe.

Otherwise you can kill a star the same as anything else, lots o' damage. But remember that stars are diffuse.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:43 PM   #48
trappedslider
Banned

Quote:
In Babylon 5, both the Vorlons and the Shadows had planet killers.
In the TOS episode The Doomsday Machine there was a massive machine that "ate" planets.
In Tides of Light there was a planet being cored by a cosmic string fragment like an apple.
In numerous hard-sf series planets are destroyed by relavitistic collions, or superdense objects (like black holes and neutron stars). Note that the latter almost certainly actually occurs.
Oh and of course, Transformers: The Movie.
The bad guys in Titan A.E destoryed earth and don't forget Project Genisis and that prob thingy from Star Trek 4 voyage Home that almost destoryed the earth
trappedslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #49
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Tanhauser
The other would be more figurative, but would involve rendering it useless, or at least destroying the biosphere.
Figurative would be the perceptual destruction of the world. Like what happened to the Mayans. Toxic Memes has rules that might cover this.

As for your other methods, you are forgetting one far simpler one. Any spacefaring civilization can strap a drive to any old object and plow it into a planet. Settings with spacecraft capable of interstellar speeds should be able to smash planets with a single junked freighter, see my example upthread.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-14-2005 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #50
ChronicAlcoholic

Quote:

DR 1.77 x 1024
HT 3.08 x 1024

If the average draw on a six-dice face is 3.5, a weapon who will be able to destroy earth would need to be able to get this level of damage:

14D x 1023

Maybe i am wrong, but the maths tend to look that way.
Well you could assume the laser has some armor divisor, maybe a (10), then it would only have to deal 10D x 1023

But the antiparticular laser makes more sense, does that turn matter into antimatter or something?
ChronicAlcoholic is offline   Reply With Quote