Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-02-2022, 05:00 AM   #1
Ting0l

Default Few questions about the thief

Hello everyone, my name is Anton. I want to ask a few questions about the thief. the player is a thief, pulling a curse from the door. says I want to steal the ring of desires and cancel the curse, steals the ring and cancels the curse. second example. the thief discards a card from his hand and rolls a dise, failing the roll, the other player anihilates the thief. the thief, after anniligation, takes back the card from the discard pile, because. annihilation canceled his actions. is the thief doing the right thing?
Sry for Google translate
Ting0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Few questions about the thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ting0l View Post
the player is a thief, pulling a curse from the door. says I want to steal the ring of desires and cancel the curse, steals the ring and cancels the curse.
He can not do this. Once he pulls the curse he has to deal with the curse before he is allowed to steal. AFTER the curse goes into effect, then he is allowed to steal.

Quote:
second example. the thief discards a card from his hand and rolls a dise, failing the roll, the other player anihilates the thief. the thief, after anniligation, takes back the card from the discard pile, because. annihilation canceled his actions. is the thief doing the right thing?
Sry for Google translate
I'm assuming you are talking about stealing and the thief is discarding a card to steal from another player. Again this play is wrong and can not be done. Annihilation targets a CARD played, not an ABILITY. The player who played Annihilation would not have been able to play this card.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
Brf

Using Annihilation on the player's Thief card would have no effect on the current or past steal attempts.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:53 PM   #4
Ting0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
He can not do this. Once he pulls the curse he has to deal with the curse before he is allowed to steal. AFTER the curse goes into effect, then he is allowed to steal.

I'm assuming you are talking about stealing and the thief is discarding a card to steal from another player. Again this play is wrong and can not be done. Annihilation targets a CARD played, not an ABILITY. The player who played Annihilation would not have been able to play this card.

maybe I didn't explain it correctly. the thief tries to steal the item, fails before discarding the card, the other player uses annihilation. does the thief need to discard the card or not? because he did not complete the theft. but the card and die roll have already failed. also, does that player lose a level? Arguments of a thief, because I did not have time to reset, and tk. the thief was removed by annihilation, so I didn't do anything.
Ting0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ting0l View Post
maybe I didn't explain it correctly. the thief tries to steal the item, fails before discarding the card, the other player uses annihilation. does the thief need to discard the card or not? because he did not complete the theft. but the card and die roll have already failed. also, does that player lose a level? Arguments of a thief, because I did not have time to reset, and tk. the thief was removed by annihilation, so I didn't do anything.
As Brf said above, playing Annihilation on the Thief card does absolutely nothing in regards to the current steal attempt. Once a class ability is triggered, it stays active. Annihilating, discarding, or anything else that causes the player to lose that class does not stop the ability from going into effect. Annihilation simply just prevents the Thief from trying to steal a second time.

So to answer your question, the Thief is wrong. He still discards the card. If he failed, he still loses the level.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
Brf

In fact, the thief player is supposed to discard the card before rolling the dice. The card discard is what triggers the ability. Once the ability is triggered, its affect still happens even if the thief card is Annihilated.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote