Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2020, 03:12 AM   #1
Anders

Default Magery (Least spells only)

I reckon it would be around -60%. There's not very many of them and they're not very powerful. Or a special Least Spells talent - that would probably be worth 5 points/level (yeah, I know it should be more because there's more than 5 spells, but let's face it - they're not worth 15 points/level).
Old 09-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Magery (Least spells only)

GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells does define the Hedge Magician -talent for those at 5 points per level, and also talks about Magery with Hedge Magic Only -limitation that is set at -50%, but that is more of a talking point, than a specification.

These can be found at pages 19 and 20 of the abovementioned book.

Personally, I wouldn't go to lower than -50% with that limitation value, if you have the Hedge Magician -talent available for the 5 points per level -value set in the book. If you don't have it, I might be persuaded to go for something like -60%, but then I might take away the bonus to sensing magic items (in this case I would apply the limitation solely to the 10 points per level -cost of the Magery, and not to the Magery 0 [5] -part of the advantage).
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Anders

Maybe I should read the supplement before posting.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Plane

should 1-spell magery be worth more as a limitation to low-tier spells than to high-tier ones? like more than -80%?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
should 1-spell magery be worth more as a limitation to low-tier spells than to high-tier ones? like more than -80%?
-80% already makes Magery cheaper than buying the skill itself up.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I reckon it would be around -60%.
I just remembered Thaumatology assigned that for 'total spell incompetence' magery (can't cast ANY spells, just sense items/mana) so probably not that big a discount.l

So the -50% Taneli mentions sounds about right.

TSI being worth less than "one spell" magery is probably because OSM only lets you detect magic objects containing that one spell, whereas TSI has no college limitation much less spell limitation.

Makes me wonder how "one college TSI" might work (can only sense items from one college). Maybe that would be worth -80% ?

"one spell TSI" would be the worst, like -90% or something
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
least spells, limitations, magery