Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: One Step: Limited Warp (Shunpo, Sonido... anime super-speed)

A zero Fatigue Point cost sounds very tempting.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I'd not give a higher cost reduction than -20% for Instant Use over Time Penalties, because I really don't see any reason to take a longer time if you can take a shorter time.

As for your original question, I've got no real answer for you. I'd probably just make it cost +50% since that's how much it'd cost to negate the instant use penalty, and that's just about how long it takes you to use it.
That's not logical.

If +10 flat costs +50%, +10 in one specific situation only should not cost the same.

The reason you'd take longer is to get a bonus, so you can travel great distances with ease and without having to spend FP... if you take long enough you can get +10, unlimited Reliable (+10) could take this to +20. The fact is that I'm limiting Reliable in such a way as it can't (in fact, it never gives a bonus, just offsets penalties... it's no good at a +0 or better situation. And only for speeding up, not for distances.

Reliable on Warp has 2 dimensions:
- Time, with two polarities faster or slower, penalty or bonus.
- Distance, with only 1 direction (penalties for further away).

Time is 2/3 of the enhancement (1/3 for each polarity) and Distance 1/3.
Just eliminating the ability of Reliable to add to the Time bonuses would be -33%, it also eliminates the +0 benefit, so lets round to -35%.
It also has no effect on Distance, so that's another -33%, let's say distance isn't as relevant as the penalties only really kick in at big distances, and even at lower distances the power is very useful, round down to -30%.
At that count, we get -65% to Reliable. Speed is important, specially in adventuring situations, and I wouldn't want to encourage munchkinism, so let's leave it at -60%, it's still more than half, which pleases me as I really think that limiting it this way is taking away more than half of Reliable utility.

This would bring down the cost of Reliable to +2% per level. Or, +20% offsetting speed-up penalties only up to +10. I'm pretty confident that this is fair and balanced. I do get reluctant on making things to cheap, but this sounds very fair by my logic.

Now, the "instant jumps only" is only a minor inconvenient, it robs you of a lot of options, but the core of the power is still there, Warp is about transversing great distances, not about how long you take to do it and most of the time you'd want to be as fast as possible anyway. This could be worth about -10%. I'll make it -15% because it's not instant, but rather, takes a step. The diference is very minor though.

The possible counters by other characters with ETR, or similar is only a very minor inconvenient, call it -5%.

At this point we're at +0%.

"Must have regular means of getting there without Warp" is a significant hinder, you cannot do a lot of things that Warp lets you do, such as arriving in closed rooms, inside vehicles, on a ledge you normally couldn't jump or fly to, etc... this could be worth as much as -40%, but in practice a lot of the time the difference is a bit aesthetical only... and since you're actually moving there you can do sortoff blind jumps, because it's not blind as you see where you're going... so all things considered I'd be happy with -20% to -25%.

Then there's the Limited Range, I've never seen a character move more than 500y (not even that, actually)... so the maximum would be this, for -35%... I want practical range to be decreased by terrain (for example, if going up the stairs for 500y, takes twice as long, you'd only be able to warp up to 250y with one step) and path (takes more flash-steps to go through a contorted maze, then in an open field). I'll just make this an extra -5%.

Finally, there's the minimum 1FP I want it to cost, that's -5%.

All in all, I can see this costing -65% to -70% of Warp (30-35cps).
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Sorry, I didn't understand that at all...
You know, the perk.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #14
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
You know, the perk.
Don't recognize the name, page ref.?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Don't recognize the name, page ref.?
Psionic Powers, under teleportation perks. Change it so that it allows 'warping' your Step (or Move) distance if you were not a target of a Wait yaddayaddayadda. Because the way it is depicted in animé, it seems more of a Shtick than a useful ability.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
Delcar

I don't know if it was in the 3e Black Ops book, or the Blue Room (S John Ross) Black Ops page, but there was a reference to Jean Reno's character in The Professional's way of crossing the room in his initial job.

I don't have Black Ops, gonna poke around the Blue Room though.

Of course since its 0230 local time this could all be misfired synapses.

edit: Well it wasn't here: http://www.io.com/~sjohn/blackops.htm

Hmm.

Last edited by Delcar; 05-30-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added link
Delcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #17
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delcar View Post
I don't know if it was in the 3e Black Ops book, or the Blue Room (S John Ross) Black Ops page, but there was a reference to Jean Reno's character in The Professional's way of crossing the room in his initial job.
Hm, yeah, I remember reading something about that... that would be useful, I've seen it called the Batman Effect too, where you can move instantly when nobody's looking. Would be good to see how it was built to get some ideas.

Quote:
I don't have Black Ops
Me neither, but I have a collector friend that does, bless that freak. I'll give him a call and ask him to check it out. If anyone has a page ref, that'd be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Psionic Powers, under teleportation perks. Change it so that it allows 'warping' your Step (or Move) distance if you were not a target of a Wait yaddayaddayadda. Because the way it is depicted in animé, it seems more of a Shtick than a useful ability.
Another I don't have... but from the description it doesn't seem to do what I intended. I'd still need MASSIVE amounts of move, no? Even though the characters are allegedly very fast, they clearly do not move like that, they fight, move, jump, dodge and parry like regular people (albeit skilled) and only display these sudden bursts of instant move on occasion.

Tags
castling