Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #301
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

Telrith is down 3 FP from the fight (medium emcumbrance). This is on top of the 2 FP and 2 ER he was down before.

Actually... doesn't Gathica know recover energy and lend energy? She can recover twice as fast as Telrith and give him energy to build the chimney fast, I believe.

Telrith has hazardous materials (magical), which should be appropriate for the caustic goop. He will do a bit of analysis to see how long it will last, and to see if it eats through stone or not, and if it eats through steel. Which is to say he pokes it with a stick and scrapes some on a rock, and then on an arrow-head. Hopefully this will also give some idea of its value (or lack thereof).

Rolled an 11 vs. a skill of 12.

Rolled occultism vs 13 to see what the goop coming out of the bodies could mean. Success by 2.

It will take Telrith 50 minutes to recover all of his energy unless Gathica gives him some assistance. he'll have his ER back in 20 minutes though.

returning to the chimney building process... how far along is telrith? (ie. how long since his start did the fight happen?)
Quote:
By the way Telrith, I think each of the earth elementals should fetch a pair of swords; it might be helpful in the future.
On the elemental's damage output... yeah, its a little disappointing. I'm using the standard elementals from DF 9, and the builds kind of leave something to be desired. Most elementals have No Fine Manipulators: but the earth ones don't. Despite that, they do not have weapon skills. They have a DX of 8, which I'm fine with, they are earth elementals, but that means using a sword at default gives something like a skill of 7 including telegraphic attacks.

Looking around for options, using a fist load is appropriate... if a little silly. for Stonemaul. Mudman picking up a rock to hit you with makes sense, but why does the talking rock need to pick up a rock to do more damage to you? That only boosts damage by one... though it would have doubled damage output in the game so far.

Finding a way to include a striker in the build has the same effect as a fist load, though a reworked version of talking stones might want it if they get to drop NFM (mostly to drop ST). That version would be able to raise ST by 4 and buy a striker (or two). Which would still just be 1d+2. I don't know how feasible modifying that is though.

Sorry about the time delay on posting... I usually aren't that active on weekends, and this one was especially busy. Actually, this next week will be similar from Thursday to Tuesday: I'll be on vacation with family. I'll try to post a few times, but no guarantees!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #302
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Telrith has hazardous materials (magical), which should be appropriate for the caustic goop. He will do a bit of analysis to see how long it will last, and to see if it eats through stone or not, and if it eats through steel. Which is to say he pokes it with a stick and scrapes some on a rock, and then on an arrow-head. Hopefully this will also give some idea of its value (or lack thereof).

Rolled an 11 vs. a skill of 12.

Rolled occultism vs 13 to see what the goop coming out of the bodies could mean. Success by 2.
Telrith's closer look concludes that some kind of Elder Thing beacon attracted nasty horrors to the dead and dying. The sludge is basically a botched attempt to possess the men. The sludge will dry out and become harmless in 3 minutes. It is less destructive to stone and dirt.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #303
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Telrith's closer look concludes that some kind of Elder Thing beacon attracted nasty horrors to the dead and dying. The sludge is basically a botched attempt to possess the men. The sludge will dry out and become harmless in 3 minutes. It is less destructive to stone and dirt.
Just long enough to eat through the armor. Great.

How long has it been since telrith started shaping earth?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #304
vicious Violence

As far I can tell Vic lost 4 fatigue points, he is TIRED but he has the FIT perk, he can recover twice as quickly.
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #305
ajardoor

Quote:
How long has it been since telrith started shaping earth?
Well, it's not the amount of time that matters, as the previous spells cast did not need to be maintained as they just worked some dirt into a structure, but what matters is how many MORE castings you need. If memory serves, before you were interrupted, Telrith had to cast Shape Earth two more times to complete the work.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #306
Hide

Bain had no encumbrance, so he spend 1 FP. He will take a 10-minute rest; let’s consider this was the moment he talked with the party after the battle.
Quote:
(…) Most elementals have No Fine Manipulators: but the earth ones don't. Despite that, they do not have weapon skills. (…)
I am not familiar with the amount of control you have over the templates, but a single point in short-sword, plus telegraphic attack (TA) might place them in the map, quickly. Even at the default SL of 5+4 with DX 10 plus TA and ST 10, the damage output is a lot better yielding 1d CUT instead of 1d-2 CR (and then factoring DR 2). And if we consider a ST 14 elemental, well… the damage jumps to 2d CUT.
Quote:
(…) The amateurs play around with caustic goo before the trained professional realizes what's going on (…)
Hahaha, I picture Gathika slapping Vicious’ forehead with the goo, replicating what the dudes in LEVELS did.

Talking about pictures, you (Erick) asked if Telrith looks more like a cleric than Gathika. I guess so, she said she looks like the puss in boots, while you seem to resemble a priest.

And, this is what I hear in my mind every time Gathika and Vicious exchange words (lyrics and all).
Old 05-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #307
Hide

Quote:
(...) It will take Telrith 50 minutes to recover all of his energy (...)
If Telrith is going to take 50 minutes resting, then it won’t be necessary to finish the "chimney". By the time your rest is completed, the job will be already completed. So, the next step is having you all rest, so we can loot the cave and do some dungeon crawling!

Quote:
(...) I'll be on vacation with family. I'll try to post a few times, but no guarantees (...)
I wish you an awesome vacation time!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #308
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Oh! Clerics don't have to use prereqs. How very convenient for them. Though Gathica is down 7 energy, so I suppose its just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Well, it's not the amount of time that matters, as the previous spells cast did not need to be maintained as they just worked some dirt into a structure, but what matters is how many MORE castings you need. If memory serves, before you were interrupted, Telrith had to cast Shape Earth two more times to complete the work.
Casting from ER only, it will take 40 minutes to get those two castings done.

I rolled 12 and 11 on those two rolls. The structure is complete. Do I need to roll architecture, or did I roll that already? Its 40 minutes later, and Telrith is down 2 ER and 1 FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I am not familiar with the amount of control you have over the templates, but a single point in short-sword, plus telegraphic attack (TA) might place them in the map, quickly. Even at the default SL of 5+4 with DX 10 plus TA and ST 10, the damage output is a lot better yielding 1d CUT instead of 1d-2 CR (and then factoring DR 2). And if we consider a ST 14 elemental, well… the damage jumps to 2d CUT.
I don't know what control I have either. Some GM input would be nice. Right now things are literally by the book. So picking up rocks is the way to go for now since DX is 8, not 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
If Telrith is going to take 50 minutes resting, then it won’t be necessary to finish the "chimney". By the time your rest is completed, the job will be already completed. So, the next step is having you all rest, so we can loot the cave and do some dungeon crawling!
I don't think we get to count the cave as filling with smoke until the chimney is done. In fact, I'd advise against building up the fire, because we want the cave to fill as quickly and with as little opportunity for interference as possible.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #309
ajardoor

Quote:
I rolled 12 and 11 on those two rolls. The structure is complete. Do I need to roll architecture, or did I roll that already? Its 40 minutes later, and Telrith is down 2 ER and 1 FP.

I don't know what control I have either. Some GM input would be nice. Right now things are literally by the book. So picking up rocks is the way to go for now since DX is 8, not 10.
The Architecture skill roll was done already...I think.

You can modify the elementals at the moment of conjuring. Just shift the points around, so any increase in a skill comes from diminished capacity elsewhere. If you have the Teaching skill, you can roll that to give the elementals skills that YOU have, at the 1-point level.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #310
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

That is very generous of you, thank you.

I'll need to figure out if the best route is adding NFM, striker, and more ST, or if its best to teach them weapons. Weapons are usually better in gurps, but NFM just naturally frees up a lot of points to work with, and the elementals are sort of bare bones.

options:

"Battle Bolders":
No Fine Manipulators [-30]
MFM ST adjustment [-4]
remove hamfisted [5]
striker (crushing) [5]
+ 4 ST (NFM -40%) [24]

for 1d6+2 crushing at (8) and DR 7

"Sword Stones"
reduce DR by 1 to 6 [-5]
raise brawling to 9 [1]
shortsword - 9 [4]

for 1d6-1 thr at (9) or 1d6+1 cu at (9) and DR 6

They are actually kind of comparable. I might start making both. Of course, it doesn't matter until the next day in-game. Telrith will have the existing elementals (mudman and stonemaul) pick up rocks to use as fist-loads.

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, martial arts